Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fate of Eilistraee Dark elves Brian James?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:24:21  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At Gencon during the Candlekeep Meetup, Brian James and Eric Menge mentioned a unique fate to any Dark Elves worshipping Eilistraee due to their good nature.

Is there any chance it can be elaborated upon here, or is it under NDA? I know that the authors said WOTC chose not to run with it, but I wonder if it is possible to discuss your ideas here?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:25:57  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess is they now go to Arvandor?

I'd love to know more too.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:32:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's NDA AFAIK.

Brian James and Eric Menge have written Lore on Rymanthiin, the Dark Elves and Eilistraee and Vhaeraun after the events in the Lady Penitent, but we don't know much about it.

Basically -to my understading-, all we know is that -according to the new lore- when forming the Maksed Lady, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun actually agreed to a sort of secret alliance againt their mother. At the end of the game, they gave up their divinity to help with the spell that reverted the drow's appearence, and they became archfey. After that, they continued their battle, shifting their homeplane in the Fey-dark (there is even a map for their ''palace'', despite it being left out of the book ), while the changed elves (and I guess also many of the drow who the two siblings would free from Lolth after becoming archfey) were directed to Rymathiin.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Feb 2015 22:38:17
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:34:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Eilistraee didn't really kill Vhaeraun?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  22:36:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

So Eilistraee didn't really kill Vhaeraun?

No, AFAIK, according to the lore left out of Menzoberranzan, it was a pact between them (and quite honestly, it's way more in character like this, than with Vhaeraun trying to sneak up and face Eilistraee in Arvandor, and his sister hacking him to pieces...)

I don't know what happened to that lore. Ed has said that he has written new lore on Eilistraee post-Sundering (https://disqus.com/home/discussion/edverse/hello_internet/?utm_source=reply&utm_medium=email&utm_content=read_more#comment-1746433518), perhaps he chose to elaborate on Brian James' and Eric Menge's work.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Feb 2015 22:42:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:00:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seriously misread the subject line. I read it as "Fate of Eilistraee, Dark elves, and Brian James?"

And I'm thinking that discussing Brian's fate would be a little weird.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:00:27  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I like that explanation alot better too. Coolness on the new Ed lore, hopefully we'll see something about it in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:01:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee and her priestesses tied him down? Can I go next? Ok, I'll stop. hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:08:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. I like that explanation alot better too. Coolness on the new Ed lore, hopefully we'll see something about it in the future.

I'm really curious about how Eilistraee&Vhaeraun plan to rebuild their influence post-Sundering in such an hostile environment (where Lolth has now utter control) and if they plan to be allied, or at least cooperate for the moment. It'd be very cool if they did. That is assuming that they're back, but considering what Perkins said about Eilistraee and that Ed has already written lore on her, it is likely true.

Also I hope that Ed has info on what the changed drow are doing in Rymanthiin in the present Realms, or that maybe we'll get to see Brian's and Eric's writeup on that.

quote:
Eilistraee and her priestesses tied him down? Can I go next? Ok, I'll stop. hahaha

I suspect that they're more likely to do that to whoever left the lore on the cutting floor, probably with less pleasant intentions

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Feb 2015 23:20:46
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  00:36:21  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always figured Eilistraee and Vhaeraun would be silent since the Masked Lady's "death". With the passing of the Sundering, perhaps they are once more whispering to potential worshippers. I wonder what happened to the Promenade in Skullport. Lolthite temple now maybe, or a ruin. The Spider Queen would have most likely answered their prayers and tried to sway them to her side.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  02:55:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always figured Eilistraee and Vhaeraun would be silent since the Masked Lady's "death". With the passing of the Sundering, perhaps they are once more whispering to potential worshippers. I wonder what happened to the Promenade in Skullport. Lolthite temple now maybe, or a ruin. The Spider Queen would have most likely answered their prayers and tried to sway them to her side.

I think that Eilistraee would at least keep being ''at the side'' of the turned drow after the Masked Lady's ''death''. She has already experienced a similar situation after the fall of Miyeritar, when her followers were truly few, so I think that she has experience in that regard.

The Promenade was attacked and left in ruin by Ghaunadans IIRC and iwould be very cool to see Eilistraeens/Vhaerunites trying to retake the Promenade.

As for Lolth, I doubt that she would be able to act as a deity that feels so deeply different from her like Eilistraee, as she simply can't love. Perhaps Vhaeraun, though.

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Feb 2015 03:03:02
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  19:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still very much alive Wooly! :p

As for the specific text cut from Menzoberanzan: City of Intrigue, all of that content is now owned by WotC, even if they choose not to publish it.

I'm still busy finishing up the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game, but I promise, at some point in the future, I'll reveal the fate of the Masked Lady, the redeemed dark elves and their exodus to Rhymanthiin. None of this would be official, of course.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  21:40:03  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very glad to hear that, Mr. James. I've been starving for those stories. I hope it's closer to sooner than later.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  22:43:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

As for the specific text cut from Menzoberanzan: City of Intrigue, all of that content is now owned by WotC, even if they choose not to publish it.

I'm still busy finishing up the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game, but I promise, at some point in the future, I'll reveal the fate of the Masked Lady, the redeemed dark elves and their exodus to Rhymanthiin. None of this would be official, of course.

Yay, Brian's alive! Now get cranking on Red Aegis!

I often find that when musing on the Realms, the term "in my Realms ..." covers a myriad of sins. I recommend the phrase to you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  04:29:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed has also written on what happened to Eilistraee and her brother for the post Sundering FR. Do you by any chance know if he may have chosen to elaborate on your work?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  19:47:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<puts on goggles of true seeing>

Nice try Brian. Simulacrums don't count. So, admit it, where is the REAL Brian?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  21:49:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a lot of fans are craving knowledge about the fate of E and V, and their followers, in 5e. I believe their spirits go to Arvandor, since Corellon "took over", at least temporarily, but I have heard nothing about what their followers are up to.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  22:01:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The budget has been cut back much, also it appears rather then say something that will upset - the choice is yes an explanation and more lore will come in the future.

Yes I an cynical and somewhat bitter, though not only because of WotC.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  22:02:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I think a lot of fans are craving knowledge about the fate of E and V, and their followers, in 5e. I believe their spirits go to Arvandor, since Corellon "took over", at least temporarily, but I have heard nothing about what their followers are up to.

I think that it's just a matter ot time at this point, since -as THO said in another thread- '' I know Ed and others have been working to slip mentions of this or that deity into Realmslore, to reassure fans who ache to know the fate of, say, Eilistraee (just to name one).''

Ed himself has also said that he has written post-Sundering lore for the Dark Maiden, basically it's just up to WotC when/how to release it.

Eilistraee (and I guess Vhaeraun too) being alive is almost a given at this point (those mentions/lore wouldn't be much of a reassurance otherwise...), the ''how'' of it and what the twins are the doing now is what's left to be seen.

Nonetheless, I'm still very interested in seeing what was cut form Menzonberranzan: CoI, as I think that Brian's and Eric's fixing of the ending of the LP trilogy was neat.

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Feb 2015 22:06:27
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  22:07:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Releasing that information would be a good business move on WotC's part, since there are a lot of V and E fans out there...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  06:13:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is one of the few things I'm still interested in as far as Realms-lore goes. I've sort of given up on most other lore for the most part, but I still would like some closure of sorts on this matter.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  08:48:16  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does official canon matter? Just believe whatever you want for your own realms. That is how I think of it.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  10:08:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Why does official canon matter? Just believe whatever you want for your own realms. That is how I think of it.

That's what most people actually do. However many FR and -in this case- Eilistraee/drow fans are also interested in the ''official'' answer, one thing does not preclude the other. Seeing Eilistraee come back (or find out that she was never actually gone), the dark elves take Rhymanthiin and so on would make many of said fans happy and would open up a lot of possibilities for further development and stories (not to mention that more lore can always be an inspiration for our own personal version -- and that the current ending of the story makes very little sense,having Eilistraee/Masked Lady basically throw away her goal for something that was unneeded and perhaps even unwanted by her followers, at least definitely not at the price of their goddess and cause).

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Feb 2015 10:18:33
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  13:12:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Because it's official, and to echo what Irennan said, it affects what is going on in the Realms. I can believe E is alive all I want, but if I read something in official canon, be it a novel or sourcebook, that says otherwise, I'm going to be disappointed. If official canon doesn't matter, then why have it at all, and why have sites like this one where we can discuss what is going on in the Realms? If lore didn't matter, there wouldn't be a fanbase or much point to having FR at all.

Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  13:38:45  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who has no intent of ever playing in the 1480s era of the Forgotten Realms, I can appreciate wanting such and such deity to be alive. It's not necessarily because it's important that they be alive for canon. But if you ever want more lore on that deity though, you won't get it unless they're alive.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  18:52:23  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

..., but I promise, at some point in the future, I'll reveal the fate of the Masked Lady, the redeemed dark elves and their exodus to Rhymanthiin. None of this would be official, of course.

No offense meant here, but personally I wish you wouldn't "reveal" anything left intentionally unpublished. They must have a reason for not including it, such as perhaps it not fitting in with planned future lore.

And if it's the shaky idea that Eilistraee and her brother teamed up and then gave up their godhood in order to "cleanse" the Ilythiir demonic blood taint of Wendonai or something... not interested at all. Gods don't give up massive power to undo something a single Balor lord does, it makes no sense. I'd rather it just be "mortals thought they were dead, perhaps they were or perhaps not, you can't always fathom the divine."

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  18:55:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm sure the majority of V and E fans would like to know their fate, rather thanit being a "perhaps they are, perhaps they aren't".

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  19:40:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

..., but I promise, at some point in the future, I'll reveal the fate of the Masked Lady, the redeemed dark elves and their exodus to Rhymanthiin. None of this would be official, of course.

No offense meant here, but personally I wish you wouldn't "reveal" anything left intentionally unpublished. They must have a reason for not including it, such as perhaps it not fitting in with planned future lore.

Ed has indeed written new lore about Eilistraee (and likely Vhaeraun) post Sundering, and she and her brother are very likely currently alive, given all that was said about them. What Brian would give us is unofficial lore anyway at this point (unless Ed chose to build upon it), so -barring NDAs- where's the harm in that?

quote:

And if it's the shaky idea that Eilistraee and her brother teamed up and then gave up their godhood in order to "cleanse" the Ilythiir demonic blood taint of Wendonai or something... not interested at all. Gods don't give up massive power to undo something a single Balor lord does, it makes no sense. I'd rather it just be "mortals thought they were dead, perhaps they were or perhaps not, you can't always fathom the divine."

E&V teaming up was a speculation, even though I'm sure about the Masked Lady giving up her godhood and splitting up in archfey Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, since Brian confirmed it
quote:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16836

(the second post by Brian on the first page).

Anyway, I'm more puzzled about why Eilistraee has to go out of her way to do something that -while good on its own- is not her goal, or Modus Operandi with her people, or what she means for ''redemption''. She wants the drow to understand and choose a different life, and the ''curse'' does not prevent them from making that choice, but simply from going to Arvandor (as we can see from the many Ilythiiri that choose non-evil lifestyles, and even become followers of the Dark Dancer). Not to mention that the the curse would be lifted only from her followers, making its removal completely pointless. Vhaeraun would care even less.

However, Brian and Eric tried to fix and ending that was forced and choices (the --speculated, not even certain-- ''sacrifice'') that didn't make sense for the characters of Eilistraee and her brother (Would she abandon the vast majority of drow, give up her quest and her life only to force something unneeded -and likely unwanted- upon her people??). Gambling their divinity for that makes way more sense.

And quite honestly, this is way better than ''perhaps they're dead or perhaps they aren't, you don't know'', which is a very standard (and boring, IMO) answer that could be applied to any deity, that gives no info at all, and that doesn't offer concrete hook for E&V to be active in the current (canonical) FR. As pointed out by others, new lore/events are developed only for deities who are officially alive and I'm glad that uncertainty is not what WotC has chosen for the two siblings, but concrete lore (even if perhaps little, it would at least give them their place back in the FR).

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Feb 2015 21:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  22:26:57  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ed has indeed written new lore about Eilistraee (and likely Vhaeraun) post Sundering, and she and her brother are very likely currently alive, given all that was said about them. What Brian would give us is unofficial lore anyway at this point (unless Ed chose to build upon it), so -barring NDAs- where's the harm in that?

Because, as I stated fairly clearly I think, it might conflict with lore they have planned.

quote:
E&V teaming up was a speculation, even though I'm sure about the Masked Lady giving up her godhood and splitting up in archfey Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, since Brian confirmed it
quote:

He confirmed your speculation as to what he wrote, which was cut. It's not published, not included, so it's not official.

You and Brian may think it solves certain problems, or you may like the "solution" but I don't. AT ALL. It makes no sense that a goddess who is almost the only "out" for non-evil drow would give up her power and the clerical power of all her worshipers only to "cleanse" a small portion of the drow. Eilistraee didn't just want to save the former Ilythiir, her purview was to end Lolth's power over all the drow. It's far better IMO to leave it unsaid rather than confirm that Eilistraee gave up on the rest of the drow. She's a good active goddess, not a neutral pragmatic goddess who thought, "well, I'll give up on everything just to cleanse a small few of the people I wanted to save. I'll give up on all potential future clerics, all potential future worshipers, all potential chances to keep building a community of faith to stand against Lolth and offer new converts a choice against evil, possibly forever, so I can personally go into hiding as a non-deity, just so I can save a tiny few right now."

It's not good, IMO. It cheapens her entire existence.

quote:
However, Brian and Eric tried to fix and ending that was forced and choices (the --speculated, not even certain-- ''sacrifice'') that didn't make sense for the characters of Eilistraee and her brother (Would she abandon the vast majority of drow, give up her quest and her life only to force something unneeded -and likely unwanted- upon her people??). Gambling their divinity for that makes way more sense.

I strongly disagree. Gambling as Eilistraee doesn't make sense, nor does any of the speculation about redemption and sacrifice by mortals. If you accept the "fix" of them becoming archfey, then you have to accept all of that weird, nonsensical reasoning and pseudo-Jesus BS. If you leave it unsaid, the mortals' speculation can (and should be) considered wrong. At least until WotC or Ed can come up with something much, much better.

quote:
And quite honestly, this is way better than ''perhaps they're dead or perhaps they aren't, you don't know'', which is a very standard (and boring, IMO) answer that could be applied to any deity, that gives no info at all, and that doesn't offer concrete hook for E&V to be active in the current (canonical) FR.

It might be unknown, or even boring, but at least it isn't confirming something really dumb for Eilistraee. We will have to disagree, because I think confirming that she "sacrificed" for partial drow redemption and gave up everything in a gamble is terrible lore IMO.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 14 Feb 2015 22:30:59
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  22:33:57  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it was a gamble. I think she knew what she was doing.

And having the "maybe she's dead, maybe she isn't" is pretty cheap, too. It basically says "wwll we don't want to deal with this right now, so we will leave it all to speculation." That's not only a cheap move, but it cheapens all the lore about Eilistraee, too. "Look at this goddezz who went through all this effort to show the drow a better way...and she died. Sorry drow". Lame.

I will say though that I would rather have them back as deities than as archfey.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 14 Feb 2015 22:35:59
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  22:44:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Because, as I stated fairly clearly I think, it might conflict with lore they have planned.

Unoffical lore is, well, unofficial and harmless, so I -personally- don't see a problem there (just treat it as fan lore, because at this point that's what it basically is).

quote:

quote:
quote:

He confirmed your speculation as to what he wrote, which was cut. It's not published, not included, so it's not official.

I know. That's what I meant (''the teaming up'' may not have happened even in the cut lore, but the ''archfey part'' has happened in the cut lore). Sorry for the bad wording.

quote:

You and Brian may think it solves certain problems, or you may like the "solution" but I don't. AT ALL. It makes no sense that a goddess who is almost the only "out" for non-evil drow would give up her power and the clerical power of all her worshipers only to "cleanse" a small portion of the drow. Eilistraee didn't just want to save the former Ilythiir, her purview was to end Lolth's power over all the drow. It's far better IMO to leave it unsaid rather than confirm that Eilistraee gave up on the rest of the drow. She's a good active goddess, not a neutral pragmatic goddess who thought, "well, I'll give up on everything just to cleanse a small few of the people I wanted to save. For hundreds and hundreds of years.

It's not good, IMO. It cheapens her.

quote:

I strongly disagree. Gambling as Eilistraee doesn't make sense, nor does any of the speculation about redemption and sacrifice by mortals. If you accept the "fix" of them becoming archfey, then you have to accept all of that weird, nonsensical reasoning and pseudo-Jesus BS. If you leave it unsaid, the mortals' speculation can (and should be) considered wrong. At least until WotC or Ed can come up with something much, much better.

I know. If you read what I post, I totally agree with you. What happened in LP is totally out of character for Eilistraee and has nothing to do with the redemption she fights for and with who she is. She would never give up on the drow (especially not so randomly, in a out of the blue fashion), she has dedicated her whole existence to them. I've said it many times on these forums, Eilistraee was treated really, really badly with that ending, it comepletely missed what she is about (and turned the whole matter in -as you said- some pseudo-Jesus BS). But the ''archfey-lore'' is way better and makes way more sense than LP, because it would mean that Eilistraee hasn't abandoned the drow or her cause. Perhaps something forced her to gave up her divinity, and she tried to do her followers a favor while seeing herself in such a bad position. However as archfey, Eilistraee still fights for them -even if weakened- she's still there for them. That's why Brian/Eric's lore could work IMO.

And -as I said- Ed has stated that he has come up with new lore for Eilistraee post-Sundering and has recently written it down for WotC to use, I'm just patiently waiting for it to be released. That doesn't mean that Brian's stuff wouldn't be interesting though. I mean, we haven't even seen it, all we know is that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun end up without their godhood, because it powered the removal of the curse.

quote:

quote:
And quite honestly, this is way better than ''perhaps they're dead or perhaps they aren't, you don't know'', which is a very standard (and boring, IMO) answer that could be applied to any deity, that gives no info at all, and that doesn't offer concrete hook for E&V to be active in the current (canonical) FR.

It might be unknown, or even boring, but at least it isn't confirming something really dumb for Eilistraee. We will have to disagree, because I think confirming that she "sacrificed" for partial drow redemption and gave up everything in a gamble is terrible lore IMO.

Leaving ''uncertainty'' out there would be the worst choice to me and many other. I want to see Eilistraee and Vhaeraun back with what they stand for. They could say that how she survived is a mystery to mortals, but she needs to be there in the ''present'' FR.

Sacrificing everything would be stupid and totally out of character, using her divinity to accomplish soemthing, especially if she would have lost it anyway (which I hope is the case) wouldn't be that bad, because -as I said- Eilistraee would still be ''at the drow's side'' (as archfey, she could even be closer to them and fulfill more clesely the role of ''mothering'' the drow race that Ed gave her).

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Feb 2015 23:03:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000