Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maps of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  18:23:48  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been working on making detailed maps of the Realms. Right now I have a small snippet of a larger map ready to share, this just shows the path of the Long Road north out of Waterdeep. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WQVJ5eDVLYmhTUG8/edit?usp=docslist_api)

I've done a large map with this level of detail for most of the North and the Western Heartlands. It relies heavily on work done by Markustay but it is a completely reworked map.

I'm looking for input from all the experts out there, any suggestions on the look and the style and most importantly comments on the accuracy of the maps, my goal is to really have everything possible included on these maps down to map a one mile granulairty and to eventually tie that to suggested encounter tables for all possible areas.

Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. - I'll be uploading more maps in a couple of days.

26-Jan-15 - Rough map of the North, these are still rough so please give me input. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WNHp1NWE0QWNNS0k/view?usp=sharing)

27-Jan-15 - Mid Sword Coast (Waterdeep, High Moor, Daggerford)
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WRTNBQXJrZ3VIQVk/view?usp=sharing)

29-Jan-15 - Zoomable map of North and Western Heartlands (https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html)

Edited by - perlmugp on 29 Jan 2015 21:48:54

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  18:51:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I open the map in google docs and zoom in to view the map in detail, some of the location names wash out against the background, especially words located over forest and mountain regions.

EDIT: ah, I found a way around the washout effect. I just needed to zoom in more.

I like the hex grid layout. Hearkens back to the old days. I also really like the level of detail.

Your motivates me to get working on my Current Clack writeups for Neverwinter, because maps (for me) are about the best thing ever when it comes to jumpstarting my imagination.

Looking forward to your next installment, and to a fully realized map of that part of the Realms.

Great work! :D

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Jan 2015 18:55:00
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  03:28:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work, and an ambitious project. I'm also looking forward to seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  12:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Work-- Please keep us updated :)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a rough map of the North, let me know your thoughts.
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WNHp1NWE0QWNNS0k/view?usp=sharing)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  15:08:26  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice maps! Keep the good work!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  13:06:12  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added - Mid Sword Coast (Waterdeep, High Moor, Daggerford)
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WRTNBQXJrZ3VIQVk/view?usp=sharing)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  14:25:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the style, and the grid is a nice touch. There seems to be an awful lot of locations clumped in areas along the Sword Coast so i can envisage you needing to zoom in a bit more (not in the software kind of way i mean make the map bigger) for the more densly detailed areas.

Out of interest how do you feel about doing non canon maps because I could really do with a map person for a map on an alternate Netheril (and an alternate Moonshaes for that matter)?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  16:27:49  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've got it as a big vector map so I can really rework zoomed regions pretty easily. I'm thinking of setting up a little google maps style site of it once I'm a little farther along if I can find the right javascript.

If I ever get through the canon stuff in the regions I care about I'm game.
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a zoomable larger map of the whole North and Western Heartlands, still rough gives an idea of what I'm going for with this.
(https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  22:52:58  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, that zoomable map is impressive. Kudos.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  23:53:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice work. Not to be a nitpicker, but a few things.

Where are the Ceranda Hills, northwest of Elturel from?

You misspelled Anga Vled, Asbravn, Cragmyr Keep, and Lathtarl's Lantern.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  00:40:06  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are from Markustay's map, and he got them from Crypt of the Shadowking, I think. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17382)

Thanks for the corrections.

Edit - Okay, I dug a little more. Asher is from Crypt of the Shadowking and is in a valley between hills much like I have it, but that book doesn't mention a name for those hills that I could find. So the hills seem good just not the name, unless someone else can find the source.

Edited by - perlmugp on 30 Jan 2015 01:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  11:39:29  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides Markus Taylor's great work there's been several other cartographers who've taken their shots at the regions you're covering. Some of which you can find in the map room here on the 'Keep.
Have you seen those ? :

http://www.candlekeep.com/images/gallery/yack_swordcoast-south.jpeg

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/north_pt4.jpg

note that Qheldin's Mask (half-way between Scornubel and Berdusk on the River Chionthar) is missing on all of them, and that the Twin Towers are often mistakenly placed in the Cloud Peaks (when they should actually be in the Small Teeth).

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  11:42:23  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bgtscc/images/6/69/Westheartlands.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121010011100

I believe this one is from HandsomeRob who's also made some truly great maps!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 30 Jan 2015 11:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  11:44:47  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/elminster/tatha.shtml Aloum Lyndren is missing from the Heartlands maps too.

Also, will you make this available as a layered file where one would be able to toggle the hexes on and off? How about the Underdark of the regions you are covering? Any plans on including it? Once again: Great work!
I'm thinking different time periods could be different layers.

Edit: sorry for the multiple edits and posts. I'm a little fragmented atm.

You might want to look out for Markus Taylor's map coming out with George and Eric's High Forest net/source-book.

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 30 Jan 2015 12:37:02
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  15:35:25  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the notes, I'll add those into the map.

I'm not sure about a layered file, that would get kind of crazy size-wise, but I am thinking about having layers that could be turned on and off on the zoomable map, that won't be too difficult to do when I get the area I'm working on a little more finished.

That netbook sounds interesting I will be keeping an eye out for that.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  16:04:03  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're very welcome! ^_^ . I believe Elliott Zastrow did the layer-thing for his Waterdeep map (also in the 'Keep's Map Room).
Are you going to make the map bigger than your last update (more to the east and a little more to the south)?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  18:45:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Very nice work. Not to be a nitpicker, but a few things.

Where are the Ceranda Hills, northwest of Elturel from?

-- George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

They are from Markustay's map, and he got them from Crypt of the Shadowking, I think. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17382)

Edit - Okay, I dug a little more. Asher is from Crypt of the Shadowking and is in a valley between hills much like I have it, but that book doesn't mention a name for those hills that I could find. So the hills seem good just not the name, unless someone else can find the source.
I'll have to check my notes - I thought the hills were from the same source. Hopefully I posted where somewhere on the web - I wasn't as good at taking notes then, and the notes I did take (back then) are all gone now.

Its canon though, because that isn't a name I would 'just come up with'. It may have just been a single hill that I used for a range (I recall something about a hill there... can't quite place my finger on the source... it'll come to me). The first place I'd check (after CotSK) is that short story with Rysheos (it took place across that same region). Might also check Volo's guide to the Swordcoast.

EDIT: On the FRIA map, there is a 'Hill of the Headless Dancer' on that spot, and that would probably be the eastern-most hill in that small chain. I think what I may have done is combine three different bits of lore to come up with that (Asher was in a valley - which implies hills - and there is that one hill on the FRIA map). I still have to figure out where I got 'Ceranda' from.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jan 2015 18:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  19:51:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

I'm not sure about a layered file, that would get kind of crazy size-wise, but I am thinking about having layers that could be turned on and off on the zoomable map, that won't be too difficult
This sounds like it would be a lot of work.

It would also be really kick ass.

I hope the next version of Candlekeep has a Kudos or Thank You or XP button. I would throw much XP your way for the map work you're doing, because it's instantly useful to DMs, players and Realmslore junkies.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Falcon
Acolyte

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2015 :  21:07:23  Show Profile Send Falcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Really great maps!!

A quick question though, what are the size of the hexes?
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2015 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are 5 mile hexes.
Go to Top of Page

Falcon
Acolyte

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2015 :  21:26:57  Show Profile Send Falcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  11:04:51  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More missing locations:
- Vehlarr in the Wood of Sharp Teeth (formerly Glimmerwood)
- Firewine Bridge (close to Gullykin)
- Lost Shavinar (between the Troll Hills and the Chionthar)
- Nordahaeril (High Forest)
- Sunrise Spire (West of Anga Vled)
- Moonrise Towers (East of Anga Vled)
- Citadel of Strategic Militancy (North of Baldur's Gate)
- Ebenfar (High Moor)
- Dragonrise Keep (south of Easting)

The text has glitched oddly on some names. For example: Fell Pass and The Old Man

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the sizing and orientation (tilt) of all the toponyms.

Do you have access to the FR Interactive Atlas?

Also: Arylon is technically fanon, no?

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 02 Feb 2015 11:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  11:08:07  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's alright with Markus Taylor I'll also post this link to a sneak peek of his Eric Boyd map: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/MarkusTay/media/Map%20Snippets/Sneak_Peak_zpsa2a4bd54.jpg.html (if not I'll remove it asap).

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  11:30:27  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps, if you're worried about revealing a WiP before it's time, you should ask *before* you post. Just sayin'.

Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  14:53:48  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

The text has glitched oddly on some names. For example: Fell Pass and The Old Man

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the sizing and orientation (tilt) of all the toponyms.

Do you have access to the FR Interactive Atlas?

Also: Arylon is technically fanon, no?

I'm aware of the glitchy text, I just wanted to get something out there so I could input, like you've been giving me.

A lot of the text size and orientation is just a matter of making it fit. Eventually I will standardize that stuff and get some of the text on separate layers that can be turned on and off.

I have the FR interactive atlas somewhere, probably my old computer. Years ago I started trying on doing something like this based of that program, but the programming was a lot tougher back then. I'm guessing a lot of the locations you just gave me came from that.

You're right I believe Arylon and the Unicorn sanctuary and the little stream are all fanon. I'll probably have that pulled off and maybe on its own layer too.
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  19:33:09  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've updated the zoomable worldmap (https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html), the zoom is a little better and I've started adding layer markers that can be turned on and off for the cities and roads. There is also a scale marker in the lower left corner that should be fairly accurate at any zoom. The grid also only shows up when you get more zoomed in. I haven't yet updated the location info that's already been mentioned in this thread. I wanted to make sure I had a grasp on the technical back end before I kept going forward.
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  21:49:28  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another note, does anyone know anything about Jundar's Hill? A couple of the old Realms books give practically identical descriptions of Jundar's Hill and the IronFord. Was this an accident, is Jundar's Hill next to the IronFord, does the Bargewright Inn rest on it? Or was it just a typo and Jundar's Hill is meant to be elsewhere, there is a Jundar's Pass to the northeast of IronFord. There is also a Jundar's Hill on a fan-map farther north towards Triboar (not sure if this was a mistake or based on something).
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  11:21:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's not a lot on Jundar's Hill itself. The Bargewright is on it and Ironford was the bridge that crossed the ford beneath the Hill. The Bargewright overlooked said bridge.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  12:05:12  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Perhaps, if you're worried about revealing a WiP before it's time, you should ask *before* you post. Just sayin'.

I don't really know why I wrote it that way since Markus already posted the link himself in another threat.
Maybe I thought he would have liked the honour of being the one to post it in this one, or something.
Anyway, it wasn't about spoilers (in which case I certainly would have asked before even mentioning it). Sorry. I was maladroit.

ooh!.. and since I'm on a roll of referencing other people's work ;-P DM divinity did this map of the savage frontier which has some locations missing on the OP map http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1143/savagefrontiermapeditfl.jpg

Don't worry , perl, about not having fully updated the map yet. What you've already done is really great! The hex grid being taken away when you zoom out, to me, makes for a way less cluttered impression. Nice!

I love how you get the whole planisphere when you zoom all the way out. ^_^

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000