Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New open lord of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  18:39:19  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Rise of Tiamat reveals Laeral Silverhand to be the new open lord of Waterdeep.

Tarlyn Embersun

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  18:53:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Laeral back in action. She and Qilué are my favorites among the seven.

Does the adventure say anything else about Waterdeep, or other areas of the Realms?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  19:23:53  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked it up. I will try to give some more details later. It list a few of the rulers in the Lord's Alliance.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  20:39:54  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's interesting. I'm wondering how she is getting on without her Khelben.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  20:44:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see she's still around. She was always my fave of the Seven.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome.... My jaw is no longer on the floor. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  22:41:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting - I thought the Neverwinter stuff named someone else (Neverember, or some-such). Unless he lost that status when he went to Neverwinter and took-over (can't be lord of two cities, I guess).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  22:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4e Neverwinter book does list Neverember as open Lord. I'm curious as to what changed that. I didn't like him anyway, but I still wanna know the story.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  23:27:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Rise of Tiamat wasn't due until November 4th!? Lucky!!

Curious as to why Laeral is back in Waterdeep instead of the Hidden City in the High Moor.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  23:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing he got it from a Wizards Play Network store. They get to sell new releases about a week early.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  02:59:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I like that idea. Since we don't have Alustriel ruling Luruar anymore, we can have a different chosen helping rule... but in a less Queenly manner and more "shared rule" situation. I'm actually forgetting now, which were the two chosen who opposed El at Candlekeep in the novel (I know Laeral was one.... Dove showed up later.... Storm was in Myth Drannor... Sylune, Quilue and the Simbul are gone.... so it must have been Alustriel... so the 4e reference to her death must be a hidden lie, no?)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  04:09:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. It's like watching one of my "What If?" one-shot Realms campaigns coming to life in official canon.

I played this scenario out a few years back after the events of Blackstaff. After the death of Khelben, Laeral sought to fill the vacuum of his absence among the Lords by [temporarily] becoming THE Open Lord -- after which Tsarra, as Blackstaff [and now fully cognisant of her new role], took up the post.

Cool stuff!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  14:00:24  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am just going to answer a few questions without referencing the scribe that asked.
-I purchased the book from a Wizards Play Network Store.
-Alustriel, Laeral and Storm are the seven sisters that are known to be alive. Dove dies in the Herald. Simbul dies in the last book of the sage of shadowdale trilogy. Sylune and Qilue have both been dead for awhile.
-Lord Dagult Neverember begins as Open Lord and is voted out due to his inability to effectively rule two cities. It is in his bio that he is bitter over being ousted.
-There is a section of rise that lists the major diplomats from the Lord's Alliance and they are:
Laeral Silverhand - Open Lord of Waterdeep
Dagult Neverember - Lord Protector of Neverwinter
Connerad Brawanvil - former king of Mithral Hall
Ulder Ravengard - Returning from Murder in Baldur's gate as Marshall of the Flaming Fist
King Melandrach - Elven King of the Misty Forest
Taern "Thunderspells" Hornblade - representative from Silverymoon. Silverymoon's current ruler is listed as Methrammar, one of Alustriel's sons.
Sir Isteval - representative from daggerford and agent of Cormyr.
-Pages 8-18 of Rise describe the various power groups and at least one representative from that group.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 25 Oct 2014 14:02:16
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  14:00:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, it was Alustriel who opposed El in CK.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  14:14:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I am just going to answer a few questions without referencing the scribe that asked.
-I purchased the book from a Wizards Play Network Store.
-Alustriel, Laeral and Storm are the seven sisters that are known to be alive. Dove dies in the Herald. Simbul dies in the last book of the sage of shadowdale trilogy. Sylune and Qilue have both been dead for awhile.
-Lord Dagult Neverember begins as Open Lord and is voted out due to his inability to effectively rule two cities. It is in his bio that he is bitter over being ousted.
-There is a section of rise that lists the major diplomats from the Lord's Alliance and they are:
Connerad Brawanvil - former king of Mithral Hall
Ulder Ravengard - Returning from Murder in Baldur's gate as Marshall of the Flaming Fist
King Melandrach - Elven King of the Misty Forest
Taern "Thunderspells" Hornblade - representative from Silverymoon. Silverymoon's current ruler is listed as Methrammar, one of Alustriel's sons.
Sir Isteval - representative from daggerford and agent of Cormyr.
-Pages 8-18 of Rise describe the various power groups and at least one representative from that group.

Its sad, I just read it 2 months ago.... I forget how did Dove die? I remembered her showing up, then she released all the elven baelnorns. I remember her getting stabbed... by something... too much happened and I was reading in the wee early hours of the morning.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  14:25:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nevermind, I just reread that. It was partly the stab wound, but also a freed beholder that she blasted with the last of her silver fire. Of course, her death could be one that she could be raised from, I'm thinking. Not that I'm advocating that, her death was a good one and her rest earned.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  16:12:20  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy shit. Thanks for the spoiler alert.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  17:32:42  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

nevermind, I just reread that. It was partly the stab wound, but also a freed beholder that she blasted with the last of her silver fire. Of course, her death could be one that she could be raised from, I'm thinking. Not that I'm advocating that, her death was a good one and her rest earned.

I vehemently disagree with calling her death "a good one". Quite the contrary, it was pretty lame given that she was put in the book just to be killed off.

Storm was mincing enemies left and right with her hair (not that I approve of this craziness either) while Dove pretty much gets punked shortly after joining the fight. And her last words were pretty lame. People complained about Drizz not letting go of Catti-Brie, but they were a-ok with Dove? *sigh*

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  17:40:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, reintroducing a character in a book just to kill them again shortly after feels off to me. Same as what happened with Pharaun. It's kinda pointless and anti-climatic.

I could maybe understand it if the character had to play a pivotal role in the story, was that the case for Dove?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  20:42:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermember was ousted as open lord of WAterdeep.

Good I say. Ne'er liked the man. He's a merchant first and foremost and most of the time, they make terrible leaders of anything.

His son on the otherhand shows much promise.

as for Dove, we'll I liked her, like LAeral and Alustrial more.

what I want to see though, is to have storm carry Elminster's offspring.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  00:16:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Holy shit. Thanks for the spoiler alert.

Oh, whoops, very sorry, it didn't even occur to me to do that.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  08:59:07  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IrennanI could maybe understand it if the character had to play a pivotal role in the story, was that the case for Dove?

Not at all.

She did do something in the book, but it was a very minor role. She just appears out of nowhere and shortly after gets killed off.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  09:22:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Oh, whoops, very sorry, it didn't even occur to me to do that.

It's OK. I try to be careful in threads like these but sometimes I blunder into stuff before I can look away.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  09:27:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I really can't see why Ed bothered to do such a thing. From my (limited) point of view, It's not quite ''respectful'' -if you allow me this expression- towards the readers, especially the ones who really like Dove.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Oct 2014 09:35:21
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  09:32:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
''Storm was mincing enemies left and right with her hair...''

How does that work?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  13:42:47  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She could pick up swords and daggers with her hair and use it to fight.

Maybe Storm always could control her hair to pick up stuff and I never had noticed, but when I read the novel, that skill of hers felt like it came out of nowhere.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  14:01:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, 4eFR felt a bit 'comic-booky' to me. I hope things get back to normal moving forward.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  14:34:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Nevermember was ousted as open lord of WAterdeep.

Good I say. Ne'er liked the man. He's a merchant first and foremost and most of the time, they make terrible leaders of anything.

His son on the otherhand shows much promise.

Under what circumstances was he ousted?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Tarlyn's post, he was voted out because he's trying to rule Neverwinter & Waterdeep at the same time and was unable to manage both.
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

<snip>
<snip>

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 26 Oct 2014 14:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  15:05:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad, I'd overlooked that.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  15:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all good. I'm going to check out my Neverwinter Campaign Setting now (when I get home.) I seem to remember the Harpers having little love for Neverember's rule in Neverwinter. If If that's correct, then there might be a lot more to this bitterness than "I got voted out of office" boo hooing.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 26 Oct 2014 15:11:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000