Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Magic accross the multivers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  00:02:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know this have been asked before, but I'm going to ask it anyways... Did we ever get an explanation of how it is possible for a faerunian wizard to go to a place with no weave and still use his magic? I get that some planes might have special magic traits, but in general magic seems to be the same in different spaces.

How come that a wizard does not need to "learn" or attune him/her self to the weave when going to Toril or relearning to use magic a place where there is no weave and thus in a dead magic zone?

No weave = no magic... so how come this is possible when leaving Toril?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  00:15:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in DandD moving from one sphere to another resulted in a lessor contact with the home plane. That is a Cleric of Known world ending up in Ravenloft, access to higher spells was impossible. I believe this was 1st and 2nd Edition and clearly has no connection with Sigel or planes-walking rules from there.

There clearly is not a set answer in part because of Edition changes, however there clear has been the ability to tap into either divine or arcane magic of one sphere and use those skills in another sphere. Other spheres are not dead magic zones, well Darksun comes close to being one where psionics are the prime power,just magic comes from other sources and what limited dive or arcane power that leaks though with the sphere traveler.

Being on another sphere for a long time (whatever that is) a spell caster will learn to tap into more local sources of power.
It should always be remembered that the Weave is not, was never, the only source of magical ability, it was just the easiest to learn and use.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  00:48:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think its about the wizards magic, its the worlds magic.

If you travel to another plane then you become subject to all the background rules and conditions which apply to that place, including quirks of physics and terrain and features which may not apply at all (or may apply differently) anywhere else in the universe.

If you visit Realmspace you are subject to whatever rules and conditions exist within it, primarily meaning whatever world-specific rules have been imposed by Faerunian deities. This is basically true in any D&D world, the local gods may decree any changes to the rules they see fit and few visitors are exceptional enough to avoid having these changes enforced upon them. In the Realms we have Mystra Magic Monopolizer, and she has installed a Weave for all common magics to draw from. Non-Weave magic systems do exist for those of us who find the notion of servicing unreliable Mystras repellent.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, magic reaches all of the multiverse (some say through the astral, some through the ethereal). The weave is just a particular 'grid' that allows for easy acces to the powers of magic.

When one memorizes spells on toril, the connection to magic is established through this 'almost tactile weave'. On other planes the grid might have a different name or be connected to particular subsystems of arcane power. Some might allow for quicker spell storage of particular spell schools, some might be situated in a dead magic zone and sever the connection to magic, some might slow down certain spell effects. It is prudent to research what type of magic bending rules are expected during a planar cruise.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  19:52:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other worlds have deities of magic, some of these sometimes come and go, massive cataclysms do sometimes occur, entire cities and nations and races are sometimes forever affected by the aftermath.

Only in the Realms, however, is there a Weave. A Weave full of dead spots and wild patches and bits of unravelled blue danger, a Weave which has demonstrably suffered (and inflicted) repeated catastrophic failures. Were I a visiting mage, I would certainly reject dependency upon such an unreliable infrastructure (or its unreliable caretakers), given the option I would deliberately choose a harder or more limited magic system upon which I could confidently and consistently rely upon across all expected conditions. Dont expect the most powerful goddess of the land to blow up and take out half the Weave with her? Why not? Its happened multiple times before, its reasonable to expect Weave collapse to occur again and again.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Oct 2014 19:55:21
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  15:49:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I dont think its about the wizards magic, its the worlds magic.

If you travel to another plane then you become subject to all the background rules and conditions which apply to that place, including quirks of physics and terrain and features which may not apply at all (or may apply differently) anywhere else in the universe.

If you visit Realmspace you are subject to whatever rules and conditions exist within it, primarily meaning whatever world-specific rules have been imposed by Faerunian deities. This is basically true in any D&D world, the local gods may decree any changes to the rules they see fit and few visitors are exceptional enough to avoid having these changes enforced upon them. In the Realms we have Mystra Magic Monopolizer, and she has installed a Weave for all common magics to draw from. Non-Weave magic systems do exist for those of us who find the notion of servicing unreliable Mystras repellent.

It would seem though, that 3.0/3.5 FR product raises the weave to more than just what we call the natural flows of magic. Therefore to me it would seem, that the way the weave is presented as a more special and essential part of spellcasting. Indeed, if the weave is not as important as I make it out to be, then I see no reason why deadmagic zones are as debilitating as they are to an arcane caster.

For instance, in the elemental plane of fire... the weave does not exist (according to the great wheel) yet raw magic is not about, making casting of magic impossible... Then why, with an absent weave anywhere else does it not resort to this universal state instead of raw energy? It would seem that this is the natural state of the multivers, just for some reason not on Toril. Then why, without a weave is there not this perfectly go background flow of energy, that works fine everywhere else? And witch by the way is as easily tappable as the weave?

It makes no sence to me, that if magic is everywhere as universal, natural occuring flow of energy, then whether or not Mystra exist should make no difference, yet it does. And if mystra is the reason for mortal magic, then it makes no sence that magic can exist without her. And if magic can indeed function without her, why do we not 1) use raw magic, so not to be at the mercy of her feeble and frequent deaths. 2) use a system, AKA raw magic, where her ban of +10th level spell are not online?

I personally like the idea that she is the reason for all arcane magic, but that is not supported anywhere in the products, and is I dont need her, than why should I bet all my power on her survival when I dont need to?

In my mind there can be two outcomes of this... Either she is the omni-important deity of magic and thus not just the caretaker of a natural universal already in place magic flow, but the reason itself for the flow in the first place. Meaning also that her power reaches beyond one planet and thus is the reason for magic in all of the forgotten realms cosmology...

Or... she is the one who surveys this natural universal flow, meaning that if she does not(most likely because of death), then it would unravel into the state of every other plane where there was no caretaker, which would mean nothing new, since magic functions perfectly well there, for all we know. Thus meaning her status is just janitor of the weave. This woudl also mean that anyone could do the job, and she, specifically was not needed, just someone with equal power, again reducing the way she and the weave is special.

I might be over theorizing this, but to me, its simply just makes no sense that magic can be so special and yet so natural. That seems to contradict itself too much...

I do apologizise for the negativity in my post, I mean nothing by it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000