Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 2015 - Candlekeep Presents: Women of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  16:19:13  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Before I begin, I want to make sure that all credit is given to Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) for choosing the theme of the 2015 Candlekeep Presents seminar at Gen Con. Without Brian's selfless donation of time and resources, this event would not be possible.

Each year, the fans of the Forgotten Realms can gather at Gen Con to discuss all-things Forgotten Realms. We include a panel of current and past game designers, authors, editors, and others who have had a direct impact on the printed products that we have come to love and enjoy. It is an opportunity to discuss the current state of the Realm, and hand out behind-the-scenes lore for our shared enjoyment.

Legal Considerations: This event is not sanctioned by the owner of the Realms intellectual property and should not be considered a threat or challenge to it thereof.
----------------------------

This event will feature the crucial role of female characters of the Realms and highlight their contributions in the world (and beyond) both big and small. We're a lucky community in that there are already so many powerful females roles, we just want to make sure they are highlighted properly, and given their due respect.

This thread will be used to discuss this event and is a chance for the community to talk about some of the topics they may want to discuss. We'll correlate the information here and correlate a fun and enjoyable event experience.

Thanks again to all of my fellow scribes. This is a cool community, and I love seeing everyone come together for what is always the highlight of my Gen Con experience.

Mod Edit: Added some adhesive.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Aug 2014 18:27:12

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  17:14:54  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, cool theme. Sadly it's very unlikely that I will ever be able to attend GenCon (not until I get a better job and get better at listening English, at least).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  17:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea.

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:45:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your hard work, gentlemen.

Looking forward to Ladies' Night at Candlekeep in 2015!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to be very clear about this: it is absolutely our intention to create a welcoming environment for as many female Realms creators as possible. That includes Elaine, Lisa Smedman, Erin Evans, Jaleigh Johnson, Susan Morris, Rosemary Jones, and any and every one who can possibly make it.

Good ladies, if you're waiting for a year to come to GenCon, let this be the one!

Also, we want your suggestions, thoughts, concerns, needs and/or demands. Post them here or PM Garen Thal, Matt James, Brian R. James, or myself. For example, if all of us need to dress up as Elaine's characters from her Realms fiction, we totally will.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  21:53:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
For example, if all of us need to dress up as Elaine's characters from her Realms fiction, we totally will.

Thanks for the thought, but that won't be necessary.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 20 Aug 2014 21:55:27
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  21:42:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
For example, if all of us need to dress up as Elaine's characters from her Realms fiction, we totally will.

Thanks for the thought, but that won't be necessary.

*Looks up, looks down at his Arilyn costume, weeps silently*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  23:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew, dodged a bullet there.

Regardless, we want this event to be based around celebrating the contributions of women in the Realms, both on the ground (as characters) and at the desk (as creators).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  01:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More seriously, though, my previous statements about folk coming to Candlekeep Presents stand: anyone who wants to come in costume as their favorite Realms character is welcome to do so. Our gathering is explicitly not the place to second-guess how and why anyo e experiences or enjoys the Realms. If you choose to do it in costume, then more power to you!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  01:41:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of those events where I wish I'd won the lottery and could convince WotC to commission detailed, full body portraits of famous, infamous and little known women of the Realms.

I'd pay WotC double their cost to produce the art and they'd keep all the rights to same, but in return they'd produce one wall-sized poster of each portrait, signed by the artist, and WotC would give the seminar permission to hang them all on the wall during the seminar and then give them away to several lucky attendees when it was over.

Or perhaps a wall poster featuring Alias and each of her fellow clones, signed by Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak.

Back in reality, I'm hoping the seminar will take a moment to touch on the life of Lady Dark Armor, aka Targrael, or possibly Cymmarra, the Lady of Ghosts.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Aug 2014 01:42:22
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Back in reality, I'm hoping the seminar will take a moment to touch on the life of Lady Dark Armor, aka Targrael, or possibly Cymmarra, the Lady of Ghosts.

Never heard of those two - what book/adventure are they from?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  12:56:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's latest Elminster trilogy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i heard something about authors crossdressing and i felt the need to come into the thread and endorse it
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2014 :  19:14:36  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely thrilled to see this happening, it will be great to see the candlekeep crowd again. If I can help in any way, just ask - I'd like to see another candlekeep dinner arranged during our gencon weekend, last year's was a blast.

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2014 :  21:28:48  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is a fantastic theme for 2015. I'm the first to state that some of the MOST compelling characters IN the Realms and authors OF the Realms are female! Maybe I can actually make it out there this year (it just comes at a VERY busy time since I am a fire fighter).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  06:49:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the quote of Astramus Revendimar at the start of "Elminster's Daughter" would be great to work into this gathering. It reads:

Sons, sons -- always you boast of what your tall sons will do, with their sharp new wits and their sharper new swords.

Remember, O prince, that you have also daughters! You're not the first man, great or low, to forget the shes he's sired, but mark this wisdom, Lord (not mine, but from the pen of a loremaster who was dust before dragons were ever driven from this land): The sages who turn the pages of history have a word for men who overlook their daughters ... and that word is "fools."

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Dec 2014 07:13:37
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  19:59:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sure I won't be able to make it (as I've never been able too) but my interest lies in the lack of female villians in the Realms. We have a few now but they seem to come and go rather quickly. The exception would be the Matron Mothers in the Underdark but the wider Realms would largely be uninformed about them. The same goes for those in Erin Evan's novels (they're devils and largely unknown to the wider Realms).

I would love to see the Shadowsil make a comeback (somehow) as she was the most intriguing female villian (IMO) the Realms has seen thus far. I forget her name now but the lady who created Alias was interesting but, like the others, she came and went quickly. With all of the 'good' women the Realms have known (Laerel, Storm, Dove and [my favorite Lady Chosen] Alustriel) the evil ones need some time in the spotlight.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  21:53:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Well I'm sure I won't be able to make it (as I've never been able too) but my interest lies in the lack of female villians in the Realms. We have a few now but they seem to come and go rather quickly. The exception would be the Matron Mothers in the Underdark but the wider Realms would largely be uninformed about them. The same goes for those in Erin Evan's novels (they're devils and largely unknown to the wider Realms).

I would love to see the Shadowsil make a comeback (somehow) as she was the most intriguing female villian (IMO) the Realms has seen thus far. I forget her name now but the lady who created Alias was interesting but, like the others, she came and went quickly. With all of the 'good' women the Realms have known (Laerel, Storm, Dove and [my favorite Lady Chosen] Alustriel) the evil ones need some time in the spotlight.

Cassana of Westgate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  16:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to update everyone that's asked, in various quarters, as to whether we will be doing another fundraiser this year, the answer is yes.

The site for the fundraiser is http://www.gofundme.com/Candlekeep2015

Currently, we have some reward options available for pins from 2012, 2014, or this year's 2015 pin. If we raise enough funds, we plan to do a redesign of the 2014 Harper pin, in limited quantities. It will be different enough that you can tell at a glance that it's not the same, but still have the look and feel of a genuine Harper badge. Which, of course, is what everybody wants. (If you're planning to contribute, but are also interested in the Harper pin, please let us know in your donation comments; we can always bump you up later.)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  23:58:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you film or record the sound of the seminar? I know I can't make the con but I'd hate to miss out on what will be said.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  05:52:56  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd expect the Seven Sisters of course, Amlaruil and Arilyn, The Steel Regent or perhaps some other ruler of Cormyr... I'd hope for a couple of the Harper ladies or maybe even old throw away barely mentioned characters like Alisia of the Mist.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:56:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one has yet provided any details as to what was discussed at the seminar, any realmslore revealed and whether the theme for next year was discussed or has been revealed. Out of pure self interest, I'd be interested to know how my handout was received and whether people found it useful/interesting. I'm not fishing for praise - rather I'm looking for feedback as to whether this piece or last year's timeline was more useful. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:58:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your handout was amazing! I've been quiet on the discussions, mostly to see if anyone else wanted to break the ice.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:10:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No one has yet provided any details as to what was discussed at the seminar, any realmslore revealed and whether the theme for next year was discussed or has been revealed. Out of pure self interest, I'd be interested to know how my handout was received and whether people found it useful/interesting. I'm not fishing for praise - rather I'm looking for feedback as to whether this piece or last year's timeline was more useful. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

I'd be interested in knowing what has been discussed (if that were possible).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  15:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Love your handout, and my players are drooling at the clerical options you provided. I myself am fiddling with the magical items provided. I don't know about last year's timeline, but I'm going to get a ton of milage out of this for years to come.
As for what was discussed, I'm not sure I'm the right person to crack the ice. I learned a lot, and really enjoyed the discussion, but my head is jumbled enough I'm sure I'll say something that'll need a ton of correction.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  18:45:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious if proposals were floated at this event for topics to focus on at the 2016 gathering.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  16:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

If you recall, I already sent you a PM about the handout. Thank you again!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  16:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I am curious if proposals were floated at this event for topics to focus on at the 2016 gathering.

None that I recall.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  19:27:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that was (semi-jokingly) talked about for the 2016 gathering was a Villains of the Realms.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  20:28:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've still not read that handout; I put all my GenCon stuff into one stack when I got home, and I've barely had time enough to touch it -- I actually got home after midnight and then was back in my 11-hour workday grind just a few hours later.

I will pull out that handout tonight; I was intending to get to it long before now.

Really curious about that timeline from last year... Did that ever get shared with a wider audience?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  21:46:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The timeline is hosted here at Candlekeep, Wooly.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000