Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Reverse Tiamat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  14:52:18  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Tiamat is a Goddess/Superdragon with the heads of the Five Main Chromatic Dragons, usually. Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White. Also LE, usually.

The Reverse Tiamat, Male or Female, is a Deity/Superdragon with the heads of a Brass, Bronze, Copper, Gold, and Silver dragon. Usually CG.

My question is, have you used the Reverse Tiamat in a campaign? How and in what why?

Also what would be the Reverse Bahamut? Cause I can't see it.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  15:42:29  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there was an old thread on on the wizards forum, that did a mirror reality thing. Tiamat was there the CG "Rainbow Dragon", and Bahamut was the CE "Cold Iron Dragon". How an evil Bahamut might look, was shown in a nice way in Final Fantasy XIII-2 http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131026094936/finalfantasy/images/archive/9/9b/20131027150320!Jet_Bahamut.png, and Final Fantasy XIV http://gamerescape.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/a9ac15380e2dcbaa7bc8f7a3b1de0ab0.png.

[EDIT]
Also, if we want a Chromatic theme for Reverse Bahamut, he could be "The Colorless Dragon".

Edited by - Baltas on 19 Aug 2014 15:52:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  18:25:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't go for that approach, because just making a copy like that is not an approach I still like. I liked the idea a long time ago, back when I first started getting into D&D and had vague thoughts of making my own world, but I've since changed my opinion on it.

I did play with a similar idea for a while, though. A gigantic, three-headed dragon, kind of a greyish color (body and all three heads). This dragon was much bigger than even a great wyrm, and had two sets of wings.

I never really got much further than that, and eventually abandoned the idea. I've not even thought of that in ages...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  19:04:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No haven't used anything like that. I'm sort of 50/50 on the idea. The approach is a bit too obvious but has merit depending on what you want to do with it (like the mirror universe idea). Some players would enjoy the irony I think.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  23:19:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My inclination is against such a beast.

Tiamat is a creature of Chaos. Five heads (who probably snap and snipe at each other constantly if there isnt an external target for them to vent against) and their breath weapons and their spells and the usual big-mean-dragon-stomping-and-clawing-everything-in-range ... it seems like chaos to me, represented in fine form. It has five appetites, is enraged five times over, you can expect to be shredded apart by a whole pack of dragonteeth as they ravenously fight over the biggest chunks of your corpse. I kinda imagine Tiamat as an angry, hungry, territorial, multi-headed hyena dragon.

Bahamut has just one head. But he is typically surrounded by a number of other magnificent dragons and can always summon more when needed. This seems more in line with a Lawful creature, cooperative, disciplined, orderly, harmonious. Not just roaring (like in the cartoon!) and splaying five deadly breath weapons in every direction. Bahamut can execute strategy and tactics and manuevers, he can use maximum force or he can use measured force, he has the ability to define the terms of combat. And only after discarding communication and other non-combat options.

A monocranial Tiamat seems like nothing more exciting than yet another rainbow-hued megadragon. A disappointing one, too, since she has no horde.

While Bahamupentad seems unoriginal, just a metal-plated copy of something else. And I think he loses a lot of his advantage by trading in a small horde of allies for a few extra heads. I admit that a mega-wise five-headed being can be impressive (perhaps each of his heads is General of an army of dragons?), but he seems to do well as is.

I confess some bias towards dragon archetypes and their symbology, outside of D&D adaptations.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  23:21:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked how Dahak was presented in the 1st Edition Legends and Lore, as a three headed chaotic evil dragon god of destruction, although I don't think anyone really did much with D&D Dahak in the years that followed.

I also liked the Ferrous Dragons from 3rd edition era Dragon Magazine, and their equivalent of Tiamat and Bahamut, Gruaghlothor. I even wrote a piece on adapting that family of dragons to Faerun back in the day.

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9408

I vaguely remember a reference to Tiamat's sister in Dragon Magazine, mentioning her as the creator of Orange, Purple, and Yellow dragons, but I don't know if this sister ever was given a proper name. As far as I know, she was never referenced outside of the Dragon Magazine article detailing those new dragon types, but I would imagine that she would have the corresponding heads of the dragon types that she created.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  23:38:45  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, better then Bizzaro Tiamat... the Chromatic Ass Dragon with the five asses of the Chromatic Dragons which can use their Fart Weapon to shoot out Fire, Acid, Lightning, Frost and Really Really Poisonous Gas.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  02:43:58  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Well, better then Bizzaro Tiamat... the Chromatic Ass Dragon with the five asses of the Chromatic Dragons which can use their Fart Weapon to shoot out Fire, Acid, Lightning, Frost and Really Really Poisonous Gas.

Would that be dragon ass...or draggin' ass?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  03:17:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"And then I said to her, 'my dear lady, after that many polymorphs, you'd be "dragon," too!'"

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  05:40:07  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wtf are you all talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  12:37:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

I'm not sure anyone knows, at this point. Me, I'm wondering how many people will recognize the line I quoted.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:01:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I wouldn't go for that approach, because just making a copy like that is not an approach I still like. I liked the idea a long time ago, back when I first started getting into D&D and had vague thoughts of making my own world, but I've since changed my opinion on it.

I did play with a similar idea for a while, though. A gigantic, three-headed dragon, kind of a greyish color (body and all three heads). This dragon was much bigger than even a great wyrm, and had two sets of wings.

I never really got much further than that, and eventually abandoned the idea. I've not even thought of that in ages...

That sounds like The Great One - god of all dragons from old D&D.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:04:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I liked how Dahak was presented in the 1st Edition Legends and Lore, as a three headed chaotic evil dragon god of destruction, although I don't think anyone really did much with D&D Dahak in the years that followed.

I also liked the Ferrous Dragons from 3rd edition era Dragon Magazine, and their equivalent of Tiamat and Bahamut, Gruaghlothor. I even wrote a piece on adapting that family of dragons to Faerun back in the day.

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9408

I vaguely remember a reference to Tiamat's sister in Dragon Magazine, mentioning her as the creator of Orange, Purple, and Yellow dragons, but I don't know if this sister ever was given a proper name. As far as I know, she was never referenced outside of the Dragon Magazine article detailing those new dragon types, but I would imagine that she would have the corresponding heads of the dragon types that she created.

That was one of the re-hashes done to update things. The Ferrous Dragons are from a much older Dragon Mag. Article. Dragon-dex will know exactly which.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:05:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

I'm not sure anyone knows, at this point. Me, I'm wondering how many people will recognize the line I quoted.

Can't place it Wooly, but it sounds like an Ed line.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  20:22:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a bit of an aside, but I'll put it since it kinda fits. I am still fond of the old archetypal dragons. The Great One, Ruler of ALL dragons (looks like a titanic gray Three Headed Dragon that glows so brightly it hurts mortals eyes - male); Diamond, The Star Dragon, Ruler of LAWFUL dragons (looks like a gold dragon but has scales like a crystal dragon - male); Opal, The Sun Dragon, Ruler of NEUTRAL Dragons (Huge pearly white scaled dragon with thousands of colored specs all over - like an opal :P - female); Pearl, The Moon Dragon, Ruler of all CHAOTIC dragons (huge dragon mother of pearl white dragon, but scales are iridescent and constantly shifting reflecting her chaotic nature - female).

I liked dividing up the dragons by their Lawful to Chaotic natures instead of their Good to Evil natures. I think this is often overlooked. There is as much difference between Lawful Good and Chaotic Good / Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil. I think with the Platinum VS. Chromatic, too many are not represented. There is no neutrality there. And the good chaotics? the Lawful Evils? I understand the diametrically opposed archetypes but in my book it leaves a lot to be desired. I definitely think that there should be a 3rd archetype for this system made... a neutral one for the gem dragons...
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  21:28:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Tiamat as a force of Godly Creation (as in our own worlds mythology) and so she isn't simply "evil" so much as she is elemental. I don't like to use Bahamut at all...I use Marduk as the opposition to Tiamat.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  22:10:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bizarrely I do the reverse. Bahamut is the god of creation of the dragons we know, but im drawing on all the myths from the draconomicon.

One of which is Bahamut imitating Io and creating life

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  15:28:35  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's related to this topic, I once had an idea that Tiamat and Bahamut are always opposite. Bahamut is in this idea Apsu(largely taking here inspiration from Pathfinder), and at first it was Tiamat that was more benevolent one. Now it's just such moment of their eons long cycles of alignment shift, that Tiamat is evil, and Bahamut good. In some time, both will become neutral(LN vs CN), and later, Bahamut will be malevolent, and Tiamat benevolent, with this conception.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  04:41:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about a reverse Tiamat, but I have created a new Dragon god: Pentagargarous NE using the 3 Dragons found in Dragon Compendium and the Yellow Dragon in the Faerun Monster book: , in order from the Left to right heads: Yellow, Orange, Purple, Grey(homemade-trying to get the right mix of white/black dragon ability- very dedicated to the Weave mentality), Brown. Starting a new dragon war between the chromatics with the metallic trying to mitigate the damage.
Was imprisoned in an dimensional prison or under imprisonment in the lower planes.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  10:50:42  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone forgets poor Falazure.

Actually, everyone forgets the dragon gods that aren't Tiamat and Bahamut. Miss Manycolours and the Blowhard are as boring and overdone as Mystra and Asmodeus now.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  13:30:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is, when you are creating an 'opposite', you have think about ALL the points, not just the ones you want. Ergo, the opposite of a multi-headed dragon (chaotic, argumentative) would be a single-headed (level-headed) amalgam of the 'good' dragons.

It all depends upon how you look at things.

Also, both could work, since D&D's alignment work-across two axis, not one. Thus, you could have four different 'super' dragons. Your opposite could be the Chaotic Good version, whilst mine could be the Lawful Good version.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:34:25  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the draconic pantheon and the okothian sarruhk deities linked somehow? The world serpant myth might have influenced the formation of a multiheaded dragon god, as the world serpant could have been depicted as a multiheaded snake.

At least it had two heads, and we know how dragon egos tend to lead to exaggeration (and probably their myths as well), so 'their' god had five.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000