Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e Tarraque
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  00:02:02  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://imgur.com/a/jq3au

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  00:20:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He looks like a mix between

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosaurus#mediaviewer/File:Allosaurus_in_Baltow_20060916_1500.jpg

and

http://www.rareresource.com/photos/dinosaur-gallery/Ankylosauru.jpg

Btw, is that from the Monster Manual?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  00:34:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  01:11:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a lot different from the 2E Tarrasque, overall. A slight hint of Dino-Diablo, though.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  01:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In FR, I hope we actually get to see a little more of him at some point. I guess that would require a Katashaka description somewhere though which I wouldn't get too much much of my hope up for.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  01:55:04  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not me - the Tarrasque is a walking RSE.
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  02:09:44  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But a better RSE. DM generated for his/her personal campaign and not intended to ruin the Realms for the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  03:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never really understand this fascination with the Tarrasque.

Yes, I appreciate it's a wildly fantastic and destructive creature, but I can't ever conceptualise a basis for when I would want to use the beast in any of my campaigns.

Maybe it's just because I've never ran too many high-level/Epic-level PC-oriented games.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  03:32:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that would be a sort of neat RSE to me; the Tarrasque awakens in the Heartlands and goes on a rampage, doing terrible damage to (but not destroying) cities in Cormyr or Sembia or the Dales; in the background there could be political motivations to bait the Tarrasque into attacking a particular kingdom, a party of heroes that is tasked with stopping it through some artifact (where an army of war wizards or mercenaries fail); and in the end it could just be put to sleep rather than killed so you're never quite sure if it will come back.
I guess this is way too similar to the plot of a Godzilla movie but still, I like it. Think Tuigian Horde but just one giant monster instead of 20,000 horsemen.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  04:01:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Sage
The Tarrasque is basically the biggest and baddest thing to be found in the monster books. Aside from, perhaps, other top-tier "monsters" as Tiamat and Asmodeus. Being Number One attracts a lot of attention.

Albeit, as far as I know, the Tarrasque hasn't been wielded by any authors yet. It hardly appears in the Realms at all, except for within an adventure set in ancient Netheril. And as an entry in the random(!) encounter tables within some of the earliest "epic" modules. I suppose the beast on the Moonshaes may have been a sort of mini-Tarrasque, as well?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  04:14:55  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms comic series had the Tarrasque; I believe they are canon as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  04:20:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

The Forgotten Realms comic series had the Tarrasque; I believe they are canon as well.

Correct on both counts. It was the second arc of the comic, issues 5-8, as I recall.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  04:43:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Albeit, as far as I know, the Tarrasque hasn't been wielded by any authors yet. It hardly appears in the Realms at all, except for within an adventure set in ancient Netheril. And as an entry in the random(!) encounter tables within some of the earliest "epic" modules. I suppose the beast on the Moonshaes may have been a sort of mini-Tarrasque, as well?

Ed Greenwood penned the "Ecology of ... " article for the Tarrasque in the final issue of the printed DRAGON Magazine [#359]. That contained a few Realms-tidbits as I recall.

There's also pg. 30 of The Grand History of the Realms which includes some info about the Tarrasque nesting for a period in the continent of Katashaka.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  15:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the Tarrasque vignette in the Grand History is built upon the lore in my "Reign of Dragons" article from Candlekeep Compendium IV.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  22:46:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody is always trying to destroy the silly thing. +5 Plutonium Longswords, wishes, disintegrations, acids, burning, keep that insane regeneration under control!

Methinks theyve lost their minds. Should be cloning the thing instead. Making Tarrasque simulacra. Attempting to breed and crossbreed a pet Tarrasque population. No evil megalomaniacal necromancer-lich-kings have ever tried? Seems like a great option for Szass Tam, nothing left to eat in Thay so the beast will rampage neighbouring turf.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  13:41:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this hype over the thing and everyone forgets that any wizard capable of summoning allips can kill it as soon as they learn summon undead III.

The tarrasque is a joke.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  15:49:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

All this hype over the thing and everyone forgets that any wizard capable of summoning allips can kill it as soon as they learn summon undead III.

The tarrasque is a joke.

It used to require a wish to kill the tarrasque, and that was after it had been reduced to -30 hp. Given its immunities to a lot of spells and its regeneration, that's hardly a joke.

Even this (apparently nerfed) version is still going to be able to ignore a single undead.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  16:09:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes, I appreciate it's a wildly fantastic and destructive creature, but I can't ever conceptualise a basis for when I would want to use the beast in any of my campaigns.

Maybe it's just because I've never ran too many high-level/Epic-level PC-oriented games.

Personally, I don't like the Tarrasque, as the concept of huge powerful monsters who are also very stupid never struck me as interesting. They only seem to be useful as ''minions''.

But then, a smart Tarrasque would be hilarious...

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Aug 2014 16:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  16:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everybody is always trying to destroy the silly thing. +5 Plutonium Longswords, wishes, disintegrations, acids, burning, keep that insane regeneration under control!

Methinks theyve lost their minds. Should be cloning the thing instead. Making Tarrasque simulacra. Attempting to breed and crossbreed a pet Tarrasque population. No evil megalomaniacal necromancer-lich-kings have ever tried? Seems like a great option for Szass Tam, nothing left to eat in Thay so the beast will rampage neighbouring turf.

A Doomsday Cult tried this in my DM's home Realms game. We never found out what happened.

I've never used the Tarrasque, personally, and I don't see a reason story-wise to do so for my own home games. I do run one-shot sessions where it's more of a tactical, "let's see what we can accomplish in one night" deal, and someday I might try a Tarrasque. But other than that, he's just a bookmarked stat that I open to when the PC's get a little rowdy, and they immediately settle down.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  22:47:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be easiest to drop a planar gate on the beast than to kill it. Send it somewhere else, lots of other worlds where this creature could happily frolic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  22:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It might be easiest to drop a planar gate on the beast than to kill it. Send it somewhere else, lots of other worlds where this creature could happily frolic.

Send it to Falx. Then we'll find out if the Tarrasque-like creatures there are the real deal, or just imitation leather.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  03:06:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Personally, I don't like the Tarrasque, as the concept of huge powerful monsters who are also very stupid never struck me as interesting. They only seem to be useful as ''minions''.
See, I don't think that's such a deal-breaker.

One of my passions is the study of palaeontology and the evolution of dinosaurs. And the long debated dinosaur-brain size conundrum pretty much sets the standard for powerful creatures who may, at least by our limited measures, be interpreted as "stupid" or "dumb."

So interpreting the Tarrasque as a powerful monster who is also very stupid is simply, as I see it, an extension on that real-world principle in a fantasy equivalent.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  03:18:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Tarrasque basically is a magical dinosaur. What I meant is that -like you pointed out- I don't see many reasons or situations that would make me want to use it in a story, but mainly because I tend to not like using powerful but stupid monsters.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Aug 2014 03:18:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000