Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Five Factions of the Tyranny of Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  00:33:33  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay so the 5 factions for Organized play are the Harpers, The Emerald Enclave, The Lords' Alliance, the Zhentarim, and The Order of the Guantlet.

Now I've heard of the Harpers and know what they're about and the same to a less extent to the Emerald Enclave, and same with the Lords' Alliance. But I've never heard of the Order of the Gauntlet, it sounds as described like a multidomininal alliance.

Does anyone know anything about the Order of the Gauntlet.

And does the Zhents as a faction, does this mean we can play evil characrers? And do wd have ro worship Cyric or Bane to join?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  02:38:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the order of the gauntlet serves Helm, Tyr and Torm iirc.... well they have a npc in neverwinter one one of the many side quests... think for human... not sure though... might be fighter side quests.....

they are relatively new so....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  02:48:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or atleast that is what I think the order mentioned here may be.... could be wrong and someone just liked the name

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  23:39:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two NPC's in Neverwinter from the Order of the Gauntlet from what I could find on the interwebs: Acolyte Heiron and Preceptor Theraclast. I don't know if those names are first names or surnames. There's also ontharr frume from the Tyranny of Dragon's module. I'd love to know when this order started (for example if it existed pre spellplague).

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  12:51:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Order of the Gauntlet just sounds like a renamed Triad.

More of that 'Fuzzy Kewl' 4e was so chock-full of. {rolls eyes}

EDIT: Actually - now that my initial knee-jerk reaction is over - its just sounds like an order of the Triad. The triad would be a 'branch of the church' (three churches, technically), and it would have its own knightly orders. AFAIK, they haven't had much momentum in The North (just south and east), so it makes some sense that newer orders would appear in these areas over time (especially with all the badness going on).

EDIT2: Does anyone know what regions are covered by this AP? When I look at the maps (what little is online), it appears to be all over the place. I hope it has more focus then that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2014 12:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  15:22:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something "gauntlet"-related isn't a bad name for anything involving Helmites and Tormites, I think, since both use a gauntlet as a holy symbol.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  15:23:42  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to think of The Order of the Gauntlet as similar to the Order of the most radiant heart from Baldur's Gate 2. However, there is nothing preventing a non divine character from joining the order. It is a neat idea and kind of makes sense as response to how dangerous the last 100 or so years have been in Faerun. It is a "young" organization according to the Rise of Tiamat.

I am pretty sure that Troy Denning mentioned he would be discussing the order in his follow up book to the Sentinel.

quote:

And does the Zhents as a faction, does this mean we can play evil characrers? And do wd have ro worship Cyric or Bane to join?

The Zhents have re branded themselves as the best mercenaries money can buy. They have a "good" reputation for doing what they are paid to do without asking questions. The direct association with Bane and Cyric is no longer part of the public perception of the organization per the info presented in Rise of Tiamat. The heart of the Zhentarim organization is still rotten, but the public seems them as sellswords that will do what they are paid to do.

The organization was included in org play for the "evil curious" player. I think you still have to play a character that is non-evil.

There are several pages in the Rise of Tiamat that are spent providing basic information on each of the five factions. If you want to find out more info on the current state of the organizations and the Sword Coast I recommend checking it out. It also discusses the present day Cult of the Dragon.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  18:38:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Order of the Gauntlet sponsors paladins, monks and clerics of any good deity. They seek out evil but never act preemptively, instead waiting for evil to strike before taking righteous vengeance.

Tyrrany of Dragons and Rise of Tiamat is kind of all over the place. There's a lot of long-distance travel involved - some mundane and some magical.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000