Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2014-Candlekeep Presents:Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  19:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Folks, now that Gen Con event registration has opened, I feel the need to start up an official discussion/announcement thread for this year's Candlekeep Presents seminar. Our theme this year is "The Lords of Waterdeep," but as previous attendees will tell you, this does not in any way restrict our discussion or enjoyment of the gathering to just that topic; it's simply a hint on what to expect.

Candlekeep Presents is an annual gathering of Forgotten Realms fans, authors, contributors, and admirers. Like last year, it will be held at 8pm on Saturday. The official listing of the event, SEM1458804, is listed on the Gen Con website, here (log-in required). I've also set up a Google+ page, where I'll be sharing more information as it becomes available.

As of this posting, 52 of the 150 tickets for the event have been claimed; that's a full third of our seats in two hours. So, if you'll be attending Gen Con this year, make sure you grab your ticket before they're all gone!

Feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts below.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  00:05:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got mine. And Spin a Yarn as well. Have to remember to eat in the two-hour break in between!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  00:40:29  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An aside: This reminds me, the presence of FR fans on G+ is somewhat feeble. The Forgotten Realms community page is relatively quiet and small. The admin rarely promotes the community. I've seen others try to start up new Forgotten Realms communities but they seem to be eventually shuttered in favored of the older, more quiet community.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  14:01:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Realms fans tend to be like, "This is OUR stuff... GO AWAY!"

One of the weirdest things I experienced at Gencon was talking to young people and asking them if they've ever played in it, and they responded, "I think I've heard of it..."

THIS, standing some 50' away from a 15' tall statue of Drizzt.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2014 14:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  15:39:55  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I will be there. I have no idea about any google + community.

I have google + but I have never tried to figure out how to use it.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  18:39:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got my tickets as well!

AND I'M STILL WILLING TO BUY A HARPER PIN FROM LAST YEAR...

*ahem* Sorry about that!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  20:05:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

AND I'M STILL WILLING TO BUY A HARPER PIN FROM LAST YEAR...

Me, too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2014 :  17:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen Thal would know if we have extra pins...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  02:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

An aside: This reminds me, the presence of FR fans on G+ is somewhat feeble. The Forgotten Realms community page is relatively quiet and small. The admin rarely promotes the community. I've seen others try to start up new Forgotten Realms communities but they seem to be eventually shuttered in favored of the older, more quiet community.

Point me to the G+ community, please. I'm on there daily, unlike my presence on nearly every other social net.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  03:51:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the Candlekeep Scribes page ye olde booke of faces.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  12:10:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
(...)
The Forgotten Realms community page is relatively quiet and small.
(...)

Point me to the G+ community, please. (...)

I'm with Steven, can you provide us a link?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 May 2014 12:11:31
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  13:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
(...)
The Forgotten Realms community page is relatively quiet and small.
(...)

Point me to the G+ community, please. (...)

I'm with Steven, can you provide us a link?

Another option, Dark Wizard, is that you launch a new FR site on G+ and promote it here. I'll make sure to drop in (or just invite me direct as I'm on there under my name). if you're not satisfied with a community, build one yourself.

Alternately, ask permission of the mods & Alaundo to set up a Candlekeep satellite community on G+ as another way of building new networks.

Steven
who doesn't have time to do this himself or he would have already....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  01:45:58  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am considering starting a new community, because the existing community isn't supported by its moderator. I feel there is a lot that could be done to create an active and vibrant gathering place for Realms fans on G+, especially in light of the upcoming edition and adventures. If I do start a community, I would ideally like to recruit a member (or two) active both on here at Candlekeep and on G+ as a co-moderator(s) so there are more people available to keep the community growing and active.

If, however, the Candlekeep moderators wish to start up their own community, I would be more than happy to jump on as a member as I am here.
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  05:02:24  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say start up a new one. I'm with Steven here... I'm on FB and G+, but I do a lot more in depth stuff on G+.

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  20:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings one and all!

For anyone that was hoping (or whom we hoped) to contribute to this year's Candlekeep seminar, I've set up a GoFundMe site to help organize and collect any contributions folks would like to make. As an incentive, I have made available to remaining Harper pins from last year (there are only 4 left, as of this writing!), as well as the pins from our first seminar back in 2012 (which use the rank insignia of the High Marshal of Cormyr), for certain minimum contributions. Abysmal photography of both pins can be seen on the site.

The GoFundMe site is http://www.gofundme.com/8qxx04 , and all contributions go towards making this and future seminars better.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 30 Jun 2014 20:38:39
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  21:56:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Greetings one and all!

For anyone that was hoping (or whom we hoped) to contribute to this year's Candlekeep seminar, I've set up a GoFundMe site to help organize and collect any contributions folks would like to make. As an incentive, I have made available to remaining Harper pins from last year (there are only 4 left, as of this writing!), as well as the pins from our first seminar back in 2012 (which use the rank insignia of the High Marshal of Cormyr), for certain minimum contributions. Abysmal photography of both pins can be seen on the site.

The GoFundMe site is http://www.gofundme.com/8qxx04 , and all contributions go towards making this and future seminars better.

More importantly, it means I'm getting my Harper Pin!!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  23:49:14  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I'm trying to work up some magic as well. In the meantime, be sure to follow Garen Thal's link! Support is needed and always appreciated. Anyone with a previous pin knows how freaking cool they are.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  03:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see people excited about the event! I'm looking forward to it. It's always one of the most memorable parts of the Con for me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  05:48:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made a donation but have a Harper Pin coming my way, so there are still two up for grabs.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  14:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, the response so far has been amazing! We have just one of the 2013 Harper pins left, and a ways to go before we need to shut this effort down, but we're already almost at our minimum funding level--which is basically what we need to cover the creation and the shipping of this year's pins. There will be additional news forthcoming about the seminar, and what other goodies we might offer if we can achieve higher levels of funding, but for now, let me just say thank you for the support we've already received.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  15:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This gathering has become the highlight of Gen Con for me. Speaking purely as a Realms fan, it's just a thrill to have an opportunity to converse with Realms designers who helped build out the world across all editions. The pins and other swag we give away is just icing on the cake. :)

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  18:58:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CAKE!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  04:25:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happily supported!

Now, where's my cake?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  16:18:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Happily supported!

Now, where's my cake?

The cake is a lie.

The pie, on the other hand, is ALWAYS truthful.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  18:15:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could come :(

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2014 :  04:10:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Happily supported!

Now, where's my cake?

The cake is a lie.

The pie, on the other hand, is ALWAYS truthful.

I was waiting for a fellow scribe to pick up on that reference. And, funnily enough, I thought it would be you, Ashe.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2014 :  06:42:31  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wish I could come :(

Me too. Especially missing out on the cake and/or pie.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2014 :  21:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that we have blown past our initial goal, we've got some exciting things that we're going to offer folks that contribute--even if they can't make it.

For the first time in our three years, we're going to offer people who will not be attending GenCon the chance to get hold of one of this year's collectable pins. U.S. contributors will be able to give $20 to have us send you a pin--after the convention is done with. International contributors will need to work out shipping arrangements with me privately.

But why are we still accepting contributions if we can already do the bare minimum for this year, you ask?

Weeeelllll, we're hoping to commission a special Candlekeep Presents pin lanyard for folks to keep your lovely pins on. Whether you've got one, two, or all three pins, it will let you bear them all proudly and with style, without having to worry about that pesky Gen Con badge holder filling up.

The exact funding amount we need to hit is weirdly obscured based on the number of contributors and the options which they choose when giving, but the number we need to hit to completely fund the lanyards is roughly $900 to pay for everything (including shipping to our non-attendee friends).

So, go. Visit the page. Give. Be awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  00:13:38  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GT - The lanyard sounds awesome, count me (and the wife) in - we will go contribute later tonight!

Again, was there a plan for after the fun? I do recall raising the 'pick up game' concept. Do we have takers for that?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  01:17:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

GT - The lanyard sounds awesome, count me (and the wife) in - we will go contribute later tonight!

Again, was there a plan for after the fun? I do recall raising the 'pick up game' concept. Do we have takers for that?

Alas, I have booked myself into the D20 Burlesque show taking place at 10:00 after the Candlekeep seminar. Although, nothing is ever definite...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  02:46:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any further word in a Candlekeep pre-get together drinks thingy?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000