Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question for the 4e Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  16:13:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently working on my own campaign rules and wanted to include some of the concepts from 4e. Namely, the use of rituals. So, I need one of two things (and both wouldn't hurt). Either a list of 4e products that have spells in them (so I can find which spells were listed as rituals and which ones weren't) or a list of those spells that were made into rituals. I have access to the original 4e core books and the 4e FRCG...I just need to know where to find those FR spells that were made into rituals.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  17:04:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a bit of a tall order. I looked on the Compendium and searched all 4E Rituals. There are 360 of them. It might be easier to narrow down which ones are perhaps more important or a list of them in certain levels.

I can, however, give you a list of the sources they're filed in:

Adventurer's Vault (26)
Arcane Power (16)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting (5)
Demonomicon (1)
Divine Power (8)
Draconicomicon: Chromatic Dragons (8)
Dragon magazine (82)
Dungeon magazine (9)
Eberron Player's Guide (33)
Manual of the Planes (9)
Martial Power (1)
Martial Power 2 (22) NOTE: that these aren't Rituals in the magic sense, but actually a Martial Practice
Monster Manual (2)
Open Grave (6)
Player's Handbook 2 (23)
Primal Power (8)

There are a few others that have the Multiple Source tag and one or two here from adventures but those are the supplements with the largest amounts.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  18:13:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan, looks like I'll be spending some money on ebay in the near future.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  18:35:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, well the hardest ones will be the Dragon and Dungeon magazine unless you have a DDI account. It might be easier and cheaper to just get a 1-month subscription to DDI for what I think is approx $15.00. That way you have a whole month to download any and all references to the rituals and look at them as well. Or just make a character with every single Ritual there is and print|save the Ritual page.
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  20:33:20  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On that topic: Could you briefly explain the concept of "rituals"? Or provide me with some links, please? Thx in advance!

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  02:31:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, in 4e, many of the things that people would previously have had to memorize and cast as a spell could be learned instead as a ritual. Thus, at any time, they could take some time and cast a ritual using components (candles, chalk, incense, etc...). For an example (and I'm pulling this out of my ass).... let's take the idea of a wizard lock "spell". Who the hell wants to memorize that? However, if they could have it as a ritual in a book and it takes say 10 minutes to cast... it makes sense. Similarly something like an alarm effect.... or a scrying effect to turn a pool of water into a spying device.... or maybe a ritual to comprehend languages, etc.... The problem becomes for wizards to find and learn all these rituals, plus carrying the necessary components, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  02:32:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and btw, I agree, rituals are one of the pieces of 4e that I feel was an improvement and should have been done in 3.5.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  05:01:18  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3E games have Incantations from Unearthed Arcana, thus also incorporated into the OGL/SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Zombie Sky Press did an update/adaptation of them for Pathfinder and they've appeared with some regularity in Kobold Press/Midgard materials.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 10 Mar 2014 05:04:33
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  19:25:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Oh, and btw, I agree, rituals are one of the pieces of 4e that I feel was an improvement and should have been done in 3.5.

Luckily they're continuing the idea with D&D:Next. The change, however, is that you can do one or the other. By preparing it, you cast it quickly but you have the option to using it as a ritual (which is nice for versatility).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000