Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Night of the Hunter excerpt posted
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2014 :  20:09:46  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20140214

Has the prologue and presumably 1st chapter of Bob's next Drizzt book. Has me excited after reading it. Also has the full cover art with an interesting character as well. Looking forward to this even more now.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2014 :  22:04:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loving all the Kimmuriel references! Hoping he shows up in this one. And doesn't die!
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  07:59:13  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really interesting stuff in there. Luckily its only 2 weeks away!
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  11:15:45  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the preview chapter. Looking forward to the book.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  13:31:02  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea of who the other character is opposite drizzt on the cover? I have a pretty good idea of who it probably is but tough to know for sure with the new character design.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  16:00:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was Artemis?
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  17:05:09  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I thought it was Artemis?

I thought that as well, as I don't know who else it could really be. Who knows though. If it is him, I assume that means we'll get a healthy dose of him in the book which is great.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  04:31:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing Entreri, too

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  14:15:53  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely Entreri! Book is good! Anyone reading it yet? I'm about 9 chapters in and LOVED the discussion on orcs/goblinoid creatures that the Companions have in the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  16:40:18  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am several chapters in as well and enjoying it. I also noted the discussion on orc/goblinoid nature. It was very similar to the explanation I typically give when running my game. I loved the drow and tiefling examples. I actually normally use those exact examples to highlight the difference between evil by nurture and nature.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  23:25:11  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this book was amazing. There was a lot going on. I actually read this in one sitting because I COULD NOT STOP.

Good stuff. I'm very interested to see how things play out.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  06:47:50  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved this book a lot. One strange thing is, that i liked Wulffie the most. He was just great, especially he's interraction with Regis. There was not many aspects of this book what i did not like.

*Spoilers*

Regis was realistically torn between old friends and new. Sad thing is RAS got no time to write about him alone. I think it would be great to pass Regis over to Geno. Then we could get separate Regis stories.

I would also love to get short story about Wulffies adventures prior to joining companions again. I think new Wulffie has lot more interesting personality than first time around. I would just love to know how he got Aegis Fang back.

Bruenor was just he's normal self, just great. Same goes with Drizzt and Cattie.

My feelings about Drow-part was more mixed. Jar was pushed back too much for my liking. But things got very unpredictable indeed. Who could ever guess events that took place. That was just great. I was just hoping one character from ages past to make a comeback, but sadly he did not show up. (I was never really expecting such thing to happen.) Also i think it would fit for Jar to think about that particular character given Jar's temporary position in certain house. But I guess that pagelimit keep those parts from happening.

It really seems that nearly everybody will be back in some form or another. And its been done in great way. So all in all great book to me!
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  15:50:00  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

The entire book was fantastic, but my favorite part was something very small. After all these years, we are given an update on SHAKTI HUNZRIN (primary antagonist from the Starlight & Shadows trilogy). WOTC can be really annoying about never updating us on compelling characters from past novels. Just a little nod here and there is all I ask.

For those who want to know, she has know moved all the way up to the ElEVENTH house, and it's conceded that she will be on the Ruling Council whenever she's ready to make her next move. Plus, her house is an economic juggernaut! With Vhaeraun coming back in 5e, I'm very curious to see how that works out for her (she was originally a traitor priestess).
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  15:55:21  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Definitely Entreri! Book is good! Anyone reading it yet? I'm about 9 chapters in and LOVED the discussion on orcs/goblinoid creatures that the Companions have in the beginning.

Entreri is my favorite RAS character, and he was at his finest in this nove. I normally don't root for sneaky, underhanded characters like assassins. But this guy makes killing look like art.

SPOILERS

His line at the end hit me like a ton of bricks! "I will never forget that you came for me, Drizzt Do'Urden." That line sums up the beauty of RAS novels. He makes you care for the characters as though they are real people. Entreri's redemption is important to me.
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  16:22:47  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

Entreri is my favorite RAS character, and he was at his finest in this nove. I normally don't root for sneaky, underhanded characters like assassins. But this guy makes killing look like art.

SPOILERS

His line at the end hit me like a ton of bricks! "I will never forget that you came for me, Drizzt Do'Urden." That line sums up the beauty of RAS novels. He makes you care for the characters as though they are real people. Entreri's redemption is important to me.

For a lot of people Entreri has always been their favorite character in these novels, including Drizzt. He has slowly been coming around for sure and it looks like now he is finally truly crossing over to the 'good' side.

Even though I'm happy to see this, I can't help but feel just a BIT disappointed about it. He will always be a great character, but there was something about him when he was first introduced. We were shown this lethal, evil-minded, assassin. Something about him then just slightly elevates him over the person he is now, for me. What a great character he was.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  19:22:53  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I don't think he will ever be a full fledged good guy. He's become an antihero, which is great. He still has no problem with cutting anybody's throat if he deems it necessary. It's just that now he's not 100% focused on his own survival. He will do something good to benefit others.

I could never see Entreri being a farmer or a merchant. A thief, spy, and killer is who he is, at his core. At the beginning, though, Entreri would have had no problem serving Shade or Thay. Now I see him operating in the same capacity, but against those evil guys. I could see him being like a Wolverine type character.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  19:48:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the best Wulfgar has ever been, by far. I really like his happy go lucky, "chill out man", life is for fun attitude versus everyone else trying to be super serious. I liked Regis better in the Companions than I do here, but he's still awesome. I really was a bit bored with Bruenor and Drizzt and Dahlia and Catti-brie. Loved the drow and Kimmuriel.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  21:09:30  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the important thing to remember about Entreri from The IcewindDale Trilogy to now is that about 150 years have passed. I think of the person I was from age 17 to age 23 (when my Daughter was born) to who I am now at 32. So much has changed about me and certainly about my world view and what I consider important.

Think of the trials that Entreri has gone through, I think he has gained some perspective over the last 150 years and has come to realize that life can become pretty hollow if you are only living for yourself. To live for something greater than ones self gives a new sense of purpose and a goal to strive towards. Furthermore, in the IWD trilogy, he was "King $hit" of the Sword Coast as far as assassins and swordsmen are concerned. In that time he has learned humility; time with the drow of menzo, time with Jarlaxle especially in Damara, time being a slave to Hergo (sp cambion/shade), etc.

He is still Entreri, just Entreri 2.0
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  17:03:47  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I think the important thing to remember about Entreri from The IcewindDale Trilogy to now is that about 150 years have passed. I think of the person I was from age 17 to age 23 (when my Daughter was born) to who I am now at 32. So much has changed about me and certainly about my world view and what I consider important.

Think of the trials that Entreri has gone through, I think he has gained some perspective over the last 150 years and has come to realize that life can become pretty hollow if you are only living for yourself. To live for something greater than ones self gives a new sense of purpose and a goal to strive towards. Furthermore, in the IWD trilogy, he was "King $hit" of the Sword Coast as far as assassins and swordsmen are concerned. In that time he has learned humility; time with the drow of menzo, time with Jarlaxle especially in Damara, time being a slave to Hergo (sp cambion/shade), etc.

He is still Entreri, just Entreri 2.0

I totally agree, I think his character should have developed this way. I mean he's basically lived almost 2 full life times already. I just personally thought the 'original' Artemis Entreri from around the 'Streams of Silver' and that time was one bad-ass dude who I loved to read about. I almost, ALMOST, looked forward to reading his chapters more than Drizzt's.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  18:28:55  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree too that the bad ass Entreri was really cool to read about, but as a reader we were only given a pretty superficial exposure to him. We were witnessing the persona that he "lived" and portrayed to the outside world because inside and deep down he was dealing with a great deal of turmoil, and some that he had purposefully buried because it was too painful to deal with.

As the series progresses we get more insight into his mind and history and true motivations and that compounded with two lifetimes of experience (not the points type) have shaped him into the more rounded character that he is today. If we were reading book 20 of "cold hearted killer" Entreri it would be pretty stale at this point...and so unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  18:37:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers

I was just reading on one of Bob's forums that people are shocked and upset about Afafrenfre's (sp) feign death. I knew from the start that he had feigned death. Danica did it in the Chaos Curse...it's practically a trade-mark move of monks to feign death. As soon as they kept his body around I knew. I also don't believe for a minute that Dahlia's son is dead. Bob does not know how to kill his characters. And I'm okay with that, because if he killed off some of my faves for good I would be upset.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is the best Wulfgar has ever been, by far. I really like his happy go lucky, "chill out man", life is for fun attitude versus everyone else trying to be super serious.

You make him sound almost like a surfer dude.

quote:
In a world...where realms have been formed, and forgotten...
Keanu Reeves is...Wulfgar, son of Beornegar.

"Kowabunga, man. Party on, dude. Whoah, gnarly! Righteous! Be excellent to each other."

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2014 :  15:05:17  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spoilers

I was just reading on one of Bob's forums that people are shocked and upset about Afafrenfre's (sp) feign death. I knew from the start that he had feigned death. Danica did it in the Chaos Curse...it's practically a trade-mark move of monks to feign death. As soon as they kept his body around I knew. I also don't believe for a minute that Dahlia's son is dead. Bob does not know how to kill his characters. And I'm okay with that, because if he killed off some of my faves for good I would be upset.

Yeah I was one of the people who said I wished Afafrenfre had actually died. I wouldn't say I was shocked or upset, like I didn't have anything against his character and had wished him dead because I didn't like him or anything like that. It just feels like it's getting to the point where the 'good guys' are getting invincible. They get themselves into an almost impossible spot and it seems like everyone makes it out every time.

I'm not asking Bob to turn into GRRM here or anything like that, but when I'm immersed in one of the many battle scenes I have absolutely no fear for any of the 'good guys'. Even when it looks like they have no shot to survive I find my self thinking 'meh, something crazy will happen they'll be fine', and I am right. This hurts the story telling imho. I just felt this was a perfect spot to have someone die and help reverse that feeling a bit. Afafrenfre was a pretty cool character, but seemed dispensable, even more so now that he says he's heading back to his home and leaving the story so this would have been a good chance for Bob to actually pull the trigger here and actually make readers think twice when the good guys are in danger.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2014 :  14:46:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob has never been one to let his characters die for good...even after a big showy death they are brought back (even outside of The Companions, for example Bruenor and Wulfgar both died and came back already). In a world where resurrection spells can be bought from a priest, you'd have to expect it. For Aafrenfre, the contrivance about how the monk's "dead body" was kept around like a scarecrow was sort of awful to me because feign death is such a monk staple (Danica) I was waiting for it to happen. I don't like dark and gritty books/plots where evil is unstoppable and good people die needlessly just to make a point of how badass the villains are, so I like Bob's writing style in this regard. And judging by his sales, so are a lot of people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000