Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Reaver Sample Chapter Up!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  13:40:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A sample chapter of The Reaver is up on Wizards.com! Looking forward to this read!

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  14:12:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info, Eilserus!

Link here.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Dec 2013 14:21:44
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  18:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to get that chapter:

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/reaver
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  13:42:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing guys!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  16:05:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers

I'd surprised that the hero, Anton is so well evil, not rogueish, but an outright monster. I hope we get to see a side to him that is more likable. I mean even the red wizarid is more likable.

And anyone else hearing Erin Evan's doing Stedd's voice when he speaks :D
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  17:01:15  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Spoilers

LOL..exactly how I heard it in my head, and I started laughing at my desk at work. My coworkers must think I am losing it.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  17:47:59  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd surprised that the hero, Anton is so well evil, not rogueish, but an outright monster. I hope we get to see a side to him that is more likable. I mean even the red wizarid is more likable.

It's only a chapter. Maybe he'll have a change of heart throughout the book?

That being said, why do every book need to be about the hero? Let's read a book from the eye's of an evil, monster like Anton. I'll find this a rather refreshing change of pace.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  11:08:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spoilers

He will probably have a change of heart of something pretty soon after all even his own crew didn't like him much.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  14:41:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree this is probably a tale of redemption of Anton, with Stedd as the true hero. Normally I don't care for child heroes as they tend to end up effectively child soldiers, but Stedd seems more like a child messiah of the Morninglord. For fans of Lanthander more then his successor Stedd is a good sign as the blurbs I have read mention him as specifically being the Chosen of Lathander by name.

Really looking forward to this novel.

I also find it interesting the so far we have two very different Chosen of Umberlee, the sweet innocent Genasi child Vandri, and the Evil Undead Pirate. Interesting constast.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  05:00:42  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Anton's enemy is simply the greater evil? I'd be quite happy with that sort of story.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  13:01:44  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to finding out more about that Red wizard. She caught my attention more than Anton and it appears that she will be a significant character as well.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  21:47:18  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That excerpt was incredible! I'm surprised that nobody is talking about the MAJOR LORE that was dropped!

SPOILER

#1) We have Szass Tam's agents attempting to assassinate all the Chosen.

#2) The Shadovar are on the verge of conquering Cormyr.

#3) Umberlee is making a strong play for control of the entire Sea of Fallen Stars region. I wonder how the Abolethic Sovereignty will respond to this.

Also, this book is packed with pirates, and looks like it will take place largely on the sea. In my view, the wonders of FR's waters get overlooked too often in the novels. And pirates make everything better.

I wasn't anticipating this book as much as the others, because the others were all continuations of series that I had been reading. But now I'm very excited about The Reaver!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  18:10:12  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They put it back up and labelled as new even though its the same chapter! I will admit that the none pdf part of the link does give abit of a back ground on Anton which is interesting. I look forward to the Novel. Something to look forward in the soul sucking month of Feb.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  13:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested in more excerpts from THE REAVER, please visit my blog. There are two there currently, and I'll be posting a new one every Sunday between now and the release date of Feb. 4th.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  14:13:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a pirate's life for me! Thanks for sharing those great excerpts Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  15:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to do it. Oh, and here's a link to the blog with the excerpts. Forgot to add it before.

http://rleebyers.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  01:58:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool excerpts I'm looking forward to the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Felix
Acolyte

Singapore
6 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  22:46:29  Show Profile Send Felix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone got a preview copy yet? I am interested in any Spoilers.

A little disappointed by the Sundering series so far. GODBORN was the only one that showed anything of earthshaking importance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000