Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question in need of a quick answer.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  01:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As per the table 8-10 in the dmg

Weapon Bonus Base Price
+1................2,000
+2................8,000
+3...............18,000
+4...............32,000
+5..............50,000
+6**............72,000
+7**............98,000
+8**...........128,000
+9**...........162,000
+10**..........200,000

**A weapon can't actually have a bonus higher than +5. Use these lines to determine price when special abilities are added in.
Example: A +3 dagger that also has the speed special ability (+4 modifier;see table 8-15: Meleee Weapon Special Abilities) is treated as a +7 dagger for pricing purposes and is priced at 98,000 gp

I guess in simplest form, the question is this: Using the dagger in the example of the DMG, while the weapon has an "active" bonus of +3 I guess you would call it, for hit and damage rolls--Does the +4 component of the Speed effect assist in the penetration of damage reduction?

Dosst streea zhah khrusta, Usstan shlu'ta xun ol, xor dos shlu'ta dormagyn uns'aa l' degahr.

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  03:34:59  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, the effect of speed is worth +4 on the chart for determining the value of the item. Not for the ability to pass through damage reduction. That is the other +3 mod.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  03:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

Nope, the effect of speed is worth +4 on the chart for determining the value of the item. Not for the ability to pass through damage reduction. That is the other +3 mod.

So, a vorpal weapon(+5 Market Bonus, which would add to the total weapon bonus) cannot pass through damage reduction, but it can lop their head off in one swing?

Dosst streea zhah khrusta, Usstan shlu'ta xun ol, xor dos shlu'ta dormagyn uns'aa l' degahr.

Edited by - Tsynn the Sanguine on 03 Feb 2004 04:00:39
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  05:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not quite. In order to have any of these extra abilities, the weapon has to be enhanced by at least +1. So the cost modifier for a vorpal weapon would be at least +6, and would only bypass damage reductions of +1 or lower.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  05:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm!

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah alright, that made sense Bookwyrm. i thank u

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  01:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Example:

A keen holy scimitar +6

This weapon would be impossible to make, but let's say one exsisted. Would you have treated it as an Artifact?

Ezekil
"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  03:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, you can have that. However, it would be an epic magic item, since its enhancement is +6. It's not an artifact.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  14:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes vorpal weaons can cut a head off but they still cant sadly go through damage reduction unless its has the bonus. There have been talks of this in older scrolls, look them up, im sure book wyrm has a link to said older scrolls if not him then someone else will.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  17:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't actually have a link to it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000