Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 de Bie and Bernstein articles in Dragon #428
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  07:50:16  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a heads up that two articles by Realms authors are to be found in next month's Dragon Magazine (#428).

The first is Erik Scott de Bie's Backdrop: Westgate
quote:
Westgate arose from the jagged Dragon Coast on the south edge of the Sea of Fallen Stars. This seedy port metropolis—born in piracy and greed, built on the backs of slaves, and sealed with blood—thrives on trade and skullduggery. The legacy of pirates and thieves can be found on every street corner, and danger lurks for the unwary in every shadow.
REALLY looking forward to this one.

The second is Eytan Bernstein's Bazaar of the Bizarre: Treasures of the Far Realm.
quote:
Magic items are created by powerful entities on
all planes of existence. As they pass from owner to owner, they travel across the worlds. From time to time, a device created in the Far Realm finds its way to the material world. When such devices end up in the hands of mortals, the end result is always the same—madness!
I got the opportunity to be a beta-reader for this one, so I'm excited to see how the finished article turned out.

Good stuff on the horizon!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Sep 2013 07:50:53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  23:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's unclear to me what's going on with these articles now that Dungeon/Dragon are on hiatus. If anyone hears any update, I'd be happy to know.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. The hiatus goes into effect in January, so by all accounts, these articles should be appearing any day now. Nobody tells me anything.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Sep 2013 17:27:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  03:40:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we might not see them?

Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear. But, I suppose, it's understandable given the evolving state of the DDI.

Entering:- *Tentative wait and see mode.*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  04:11:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has WotC indicated the magazines are on hiatus as of right now?

All the info I have says not until January 2014.

If it's the later, then I can't see why there is any reason to expect the next three months worth of issues not to be published online. Since both Erik and Eytan's articles are mentioned in the current issue of Dragon as being set for publication in October, I expect to see both in next month's issue of Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  04:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is January and I was just confused. That's entirely possible. I hope you're right!

Also, if there are any questions on the article, I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  15:57:26  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if we will see the Rashemen article the James brothers mentioned a couple of years back - and even circulated a draft map - and have managed to avoid answering any questions about ever since. That would be a great way to finish off FR's DDi coverage....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  15:58:35  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, the magazines stop publishing in December 2013. They have not ceased publication already.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BRJ's Rashemen article disappeared into the at-times deep (and I mean DEEP) mists of the mysterious lair of Wizards of the Coast and has not been heard from since. But hey, anything is possible. I wrote my Westgate article almost a year ago and thought it too lost and killed by some Dragon and/or Dungeon, and here it is. So one never knows!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  11:10:37  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, thanks for the update, Erik.

I've asked the James boys directly a few times under different user names on different boards and this is the first time I have had a response rather than a promise of a future response. I'm glad you don't have The Sage disease.... :)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  15:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wouldn't get overly excited. The "response" is still a shrug and a "maybe in the future" sort of response. BRJ would know more, and it's more appropriately his place to reveal or obscure it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  01:13:40  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... except the Js don't reply whereas you did. Thanks. :)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  20:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It pains me greatly that WotC has decided to withhold publishing the Backdrop: Rashemen article. Sadly, that dubious decision and others has somewhat tainted my enjoyment of the Realms, causing me to retreat towards other projects such as Red Aegis. If you and others want to see the Rashemen article published your best recourse is to contact Wizards of the Coast directly.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2013 :  06:45:51  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Brian.

I was interested both in the article and the chance that it was going to have another Mike Schley map accompanying it. I'm still a big fan of the 4E Realms (just as I was a fan of the Realms first hinted at in the pages of Dragon) but so often what I want to do there is hampered by the absence of useful maps.

Anyway, there are only three more issues of Dragon and Dungeon before WotC turns the lights out on them so I think our chances of seeing it published are minimal.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2013 :  18:50:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

It pains me greatly that WotC has decided to withhold publishing the Backdrop: Rashemen article. Sadly, that dubious decision and others has somewhat tainted my enjoyment of the Realms, causing me to retreat towards other projects such as Red Aegis. If you and others want to see the Rashemen article published your best recourse is to contact Wizards of the Coast directly.

That's really disappointing to hear Brian. When I think about the amount of FR material that TSR/WotC have received and sat on over the years, I am totally gobsmacked. I would have loved to have seen your update on Rashemen, just as I would have loved to have seen Ed's city write-up of Teziir, and a host of other articles sent in and never published. Poor form.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  05:43:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the page for the issue #428 is up, though it's not possible (for me) to download anything yet: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TOC.aspx?x=dnd/4new/drtoc/428

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Oct 2013 05:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  16:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun fact, the cover image for Dungeon is of the bridge over the River Thunn, which splits the two segments of Westgate (the city proper and the Shou-dominated East End). You can clearly see the architectural variation.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  17:59:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny enough, today was the first glimmer I even had that the Far Realms article was being published. I must have missed any previous announcements as I've been in the process of moving for the last few weeks.

Also, there may be some Realms references in the article. I haven't seen the final version, so I don't know what made it in.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  23:14:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray the download link has returned!

Downloading the issue now.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2013 :  07:40:46  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Realms references are mostly gone, but you might recall Zceryll, who has made appearances in a number of Realms articles and books.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000