Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 WotC Forums migrating 9/9
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  17:13:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a heads up, WotC will soon be transitioning to a new forums.

Nothing posted after 8/26 (and up to 9/9) will be saved and transferred over. And while they're promising to save as much old "data" (aka old forum posts) as they can, it's not certain that all old posts will transfer over. So if you have a old post there that you want to save, make sure you archive it and save it to your own computer before this all goes down.

quote:
Posted by WotC, September 05, 2013

Hey there. We just wanted to let you know that we’ll be transitioning to a new community site on 9/9. There may be a brief downtime on the 9th, but when we come back up we’ll have a great looking new site that’s easy to navigate. While we’re trying to retain as much data as we can, all posts made after 8/26 will not be transferred over. With this in mind, if there is any information that you want to ensure you have after the transition, you should probably copy and paste those posts into your personal documents. Also, signatures will not be transferred during the process, so make sure to grab those before Monday if you want to keep them.

Once the transition is done we’ll have some posts talking about the ins and outs of the new site. Thanks much for your patience and support during this change.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:02:55  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:59:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, I have to go back a re-copy the entire Utter East thread... AGAIN.

Thanks for the heads-up. Therise.

Aside:
I wonder why they keep doing this? They loose a ton of really good stuff every time (or is that the idea?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  19:15:58  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for the heads-up. Therise.

Aside:
I wonder why they keep doing this? They loose a ton of really good stuff every time (or is that the idea?)

No probs.

I think their goal this time is to keep as much of the old forum posts as they can, not intentionally deleting anything. But you never know what will happen or get accidentally lost in a transition.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  03:52:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I think the last time I made a copy of that thread... was back during the forum migration from Gleemax.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  04:01:12  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Heh. I think the last time I made a copy of that thread... was back during the forum migration from Gleemax.

Oh lord, Gleemax. So green. And such an ugly neon green.

It hurt the eyes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  08:47:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

quote:

Oh lord, Gleemax. So green. And such an ugly neon green.

It hurt the eyes.

I avoided the forums during the Gleemax migration. Not so much because the colour was a little distracting, but for whatever reason, the site itself and the message boards would experience outages at least once a day on these shores. PLus I was growing a little tired of the near-constant "site maintenance" messages that came up and prevented regularly access to a lot of the sub-forums I used to frequent.

I had only certain times of the day that I could peruse those boards, and that's often when these scheduled maintenance outages would occur. [Probably as a result of the time differences between Australia and the US.] So I gave up on them after a few months. And then came back when Wizards shifted their message boards away from Gleemax.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  14:20:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was glad I couldn't be on the WotC forums when they did the Gleemax thing.

I still wonder what not-over-the-counter substance inspired that one.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  14:27:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they need to make Gleemax FR canon; some sort of powerful psionicist demon that drove people away (from their homes) by the thousands at the outset of 3e... errr... during the initial onslaught of the Spellplague.

Maybe Gleemax was the Spellplague incarnate.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2013 14:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  20:40:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ya know, Sage... you could save me a LOT of time...

But you'd have to let me know right away - everything goes bye-bye in 2 days.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  00:23:00  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think they need to make Gleemax FR canon; some sort of powerful psionicist demon that drove people away (from their homes) by the thousands at the outset of 3e... errr... during the initial onslaught of the Spellplague.

Maybe Gleemax was the Spellplague incarnate.

Maybe. But wait, wasn't Spellplague all about massive overuse of the word "cerulean"? Seems like they had to paste "cerulean" into every description. Someone loved that color.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  01:16:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, the arcane magic wave that rolled over Toril was blue (cerulean), but when it mixed with the anti-magical counter-wave (which was yellow for some reason), it created an angry, crazed, bright green demon known to the world as Gleemax (because of its uncontrollable, hideous laughter). Born of two diametrically opposed forces that drive it into an insane rage, it acts as a living conduit of anarchy between the real world and our dreams (hence its ability to cross between this world and Toril, indiscriminately).

Gleemax was, in effect, the anti-Mystra!!!

DUH DUH DUHHHHH!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  03:23:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ya know, Sage... you could save me a LOT of time...

But you'd have to let me know right away - everything goes bye-bye in 2 days.

So long as you or any of the other contributors to that old thread haven't added anything significant since the days of Gleemax, then it should be fine. Otherwise, I don't think I have any copies of the thread if it's been heavily updated since that time.

It might be worth you saving it anyway. My internet connection's kind of wonky today... and I'm presently typing this on a friend's computer away from the SageCave, so I can't currently check the archived thread I have at home.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Sep 2013 03:24:46
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  04:18:12  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, the arcane magic wave that rolled over Toril was blue (cerulean), but when it mixed with the anti-magical counter-wave (which was yellow for some reason), it created an angry, crazed, bright green demon known to the world as Gleemax (because of its uncontrollable, hideous laughter). Born of two diametrically opposed forces that drive it into an insane rage, it acts as a living conduit of anarchy between the real world and our dreams (hence its ability to cross between this world and Toril, indiscriminately).

Gleemax was, in effect, the anti-Mystra!!!

DUH DUH DUHHHHH!!!

quote:
...But you'd have to let me know right away - everything goes bye-bye in 2 days.

Technically, I think only the most recent posts between 8/26 and 9/9 are guaranteed to disappear. Seems like they're trying to save all of the earlier forum data, which would include everything older than 8/26. But you never know, some things might accidentally get lost in the shuffle.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  05:46:25  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, Gleemax, the first thing that came to mind when I discussed this changeover on the WotC at another community. Ever in our thoughts.

The positive point to take away from these forum upgrades is that usually there are new features baked into the never versions as well as improved security features. It's technically a good thing that WotC has the resources to do this every few years and actually invests in their forum technology. On the other hand, I've seen such upgrades completely eviscerate once bustling communities due to the initial transition and subsequent disruptions.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  08:32:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, I hope I don't lose my status as the earliest, still active registered poster.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  10:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ooooh, I hope I don't lose my status as the earliest, still active registered poster.

-- George Krashos

I think they were changed during a previous forum migration.

As I recall, 'twas you, Faraer, and myself who were counted among some of the earliest and still active registered members of the Wizards boards -- from early-to-mid 2001.

But when I last checked, about two years ago, those kinds of details were no longer part of member profiles.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  15:27:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the new WotC forums are up.

I can't even.

Edited by - Therise on 10 Sep 2013 15:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  15:55:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. WTH, the old forums looked way better and were more intuitive to use IMO.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 10 Sep 2013 15:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  17:15:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should I be happy that I've not been active over there for close to 10 years?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  18:53:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure, I have not posted there for almost a year.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:20:13  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Should I be happy that I've not been active over there for close to 10 years?

If what some members of my gaming group are saying is true, then yes, you should be. (Was going to check it out myself, but it doesn't sound terribly appealing anymore.) Sort of wonder if this 'change for the worse' was deliberate. (Okay, I realize it wasn't, but some of WotC's decisions over the last few years have made me extremely cynical and prone to being a little... harsh in what I say and think about them. I apologize for being blunt. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't help how I feel.)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 10 Sep 2013 21:23:25
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  23:14:07  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really not sure what prompted the change to this new format. Personally, I haven't participated there in about 3 years, mostly because there wasn't a whole lot to discuss and some of the other posters became outright hostile (not towards me, but just in general it was rather ugly).

But this new format, it's really clunky. There's just way too much unnecessary white space, gigantic buttons, and navigation has become much more difficult. I also understand that friend lists have disappeared, and for those who play the card games there are other issues. None of my bookmarks work any more, which I sort of suspected might happen, but the search function is also quite poor.

I reactivated my account a few weeks ago, but honestly it's like going through a formatting beta test. Not sure how much I'll be "back" there, if at all, really.

Edited by - Therise on 10 Sep 2013 23:15:05
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  23:37:45  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They went for the ultra-sleek modern look of different colored squares and shapes, and non-strategic white space. Place looks barren in content, especially given they backed up two weeks ago and everything appears dead since then. They need a few good themes toss on top of this at the least.

Just when I thought the site started to return to decent functionality since their last forum upgrade around the 4E debut, they wipe it all away. They have a year to get things running and looking smooth before 5E officially launches.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  23:53:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I missed the cut-off, so if that thread is gone, then Sage is my last hope (and god-help-me if I end up on his 'to do' list).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  03:21:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I missed the cut-off, so if that thread is gone, then Sage is my last hope (and god-help-me if I end up on his 'to do' list).

I don't see that happening.

In fact, I was skimming an old archive yesterday morning when I came across the entire saved "Utter East" thread I made when I last frequented that particular discussion. So it's close at hand.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  11:02:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me a few tries but I was able to find the new link to the WotC Novels Book Club.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  13:01:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The NPCs of the Realms threads are still about as well. Still got them saved locally, just in case.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  13:08:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, all my links in my Index are now broken...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  13:48:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course they are...

Its not like anyone at WotC actually wants people to find their site useful and go there a lot.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  16:13:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course they are...

Its not like anyone at WotC actually wants people to find their site useful and go there a lot.

I think they need to put some more money into their web presence... I'm inclined to think that they have a small web team, who are kept so busy tossing up new pages that they simply don't have time to maintain links. WotC does have a nice website, so they've got some talent. So either their web folks can make a good website but don't know how to update links, or they're kept too busy to bother with the task of updating links to older content. The latter is far more likely than the former -- I don't have the web skillz to build one of their pages, but I know enough to go into the HTML of a page and make minor tweaks like updating links. A lot of my not-work-related web surfing is done from links on pages I created myself, and even some of the stuff I do at work goes off of pages I created myself.

I suppose it's also possible that there is a directive from above to never update links, but I think that unlikely -- such a command really doesn't make sense.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Sep 2013 16:25:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000