Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Places that need mercenaries 1372-1373
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  10:48:21  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm doing some research on places that have a need of mercenaries. It could be for a number of reasons as long as they need mercenaries and the mercs are expected to fight. It could be for a war going on where mercs are hired to fight for one side, or where the mercs act as bodyguards to protect a vip, or where the mercs are hired as a private army to do their client's bidding. I like military campaigns and I'm looking for many locations where mercs can see action.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  14:03:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chessenta is well known for its mercenary companies.
The Bloodstone Lands feature regular forays into Vaasa.
Several of the Border Kingdoms change hands regularly.
Unther and Mulhorand (the aggressor) came to blows.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  16:25:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Several of the Border Kingdoms change hands regularly.
Indeed.

The Border Kingdoms, perhaps more so than any other part of the established Realms, are designed to be easily customised for particular and/or individual home Realms campaigns -- complete with swiftly shifting borders and ever-changing rulers -- that can [and do, if we look to the Realmslore on the region] regularly issue the call for mercenaries to help protect a fledging kingdom's borders.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  16:45:58  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After the signing of the Treaty of Garumn's Gorge in The Orc King in mid-1372 DR, a lot of people were very disgruntled with the idea of peace with orcs. Some of them would even go so far as to form the organization Casin Cu Calas, Elvish for "Honor in Battle", and launch strikes at the orcs wherever they could. Some would even go on to defy Drizzt, himself, orc-lover that he had become.

Making up your own homebrew origins of said organization would give you an opportunity for a very morally questionable party, with plausible arguments for and against on all sides.

EDIT: Oh, and there was also plenty of need for Bregan D'aerthe's mercs during that pesky little war down in Menzo ("WOTSQ") . . .

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 14 Aug 2013 16:47:57
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  14:22:25  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-From 1370 Amn fights a prolonged so called Sothilisian war against the army of ogres and goblinoids that hold the port Murann.
In fact Amn is very likely to employ as many mercenaries as they can, since they have no regular army (and likely to believe into power of money!)

-Invasion into Unther, defintely. While Mulhorandese have a tradition of employment of Chessentans, and may hire companies with good reputation as instructors for their own troops in modern ways of war, Unter probably has no other choice. Their own army is in tatters since the defeats from the beginning of war. Thus they have to take Thayan money to hire anyone they can.

-Campaign of Lords' Alliance in 1372 in Anauroch, fighting Army of Phaerimms and other abberations near Evereska.

-Fighting pirates among other licensed Freesails of Cormyr.

-Any other dangerous place (Are there safe ones in Faerun?). Protecting caravans, merchant ships, palaces etc.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  14:48:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Chessenta and Threskel, before Tchazzar’s death, that is.

Akanul. The genasi need a number of mercenaries to throw at the forces of the Abolethic Sovereignty, their greatest threat to date.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  17:48:40  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd presume that Calimshan would hire a large number of mercenaries for their exploita- er, exploration of Chult. If I've read the FR Campaign Setting correctly, that is. I remember reading something about Calimshan's regular forays into Chult, much to the annoyance of the natives (to put it mildly). You'd probably also be able to find good work for mercenaries in any country that shares a border with Veldorn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000