Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2013: The Harpers at Twilight
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  18:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
GenCon is almost upon us, and I thought I'd drop a reminder to everyone to . . .

Come one, come all, ye steely-eyed and devoted servants of the Realms, to the annual Conclave of the Harpers! Much and more is afoot in our imperiled world, and the shadow of an impending cataclysm grows long. Your voices, steel, and spells are needed, now more than ever.

The 2nd Annual Candlekeep Seminar will be held on Saturday, August 17, from 6 - 10 p.m. in the Crowne Plaza Victoria Station rooms A & B (I believe it's the same as last year). More details here.

Our placement right after the anticipated "Fate of the Realms" seminar means we'll be doing a lot of discussing of that event and the secrets unfolded. Come get your questions answered (or at least hear some good speculation) first!

Why come to the seminar? Well, because you love the Realms, love talking about the Realms for long stretches of time (we blocked off 4 hours), and love seeing/hearing Realms luminaries. Our list is never cemented, but this year we've got a great line-up, including Ed Greenwood himself, Jim Lowder, Richard Lee Byers, Erin Evans, the James Brothers, myself, etc.

Currently, there are just a few tickets left, and they are a bargain at absolutely free. Like last year, the Seminar includes commemorative pins to honor the occasion, which go first to ticket holders, then to anyone else. (To help cover the costs of the seminar--mostly to produce the pins--we're thinking of providing an option for donations, 100% of which will go into supplies.)

Finally! If you are coming to the seminar and wish to hear more or even help out in some way, Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) is currently looking for doors to knock on and email addresses to hit up. Contact him directly, drop me a message, or post here, and Brian will drop you a line.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Sweet water and light laughter,

Erik

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  18:54:29  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<-< record it please, some of us can't go.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  19:45:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

<-< record it please, some of us can't go.

Ibid

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  00:46:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  02:57:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I will fourth the call for some kind of vid-record [if at all possible, since I know both permission-for-recording restraints and the limits of technology can prevent reliable recording], I would like to wish all those who have the good fortune to attend this event, a truly grand time.

And, please, spare a thought or two for those of us who will be there more in spirit, than in any kind of physicality.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  05:10:09  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned on the other thread, I'd be happy to aid in any video recording (or audio for that matter) that might be attempted should any such help be needed. PM me should you need me Eric/Brian.

Either way, I look forward to seeing a number of you there!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  16:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the logistics of doing a recording, as the event is four hours long and somewhat informal, but we'll see what we can do.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  08:00:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how'd the seminar go? Very curious to know.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Aytros
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  15:15:28  Show Profile Send Aytros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sigh...just once I'd like to go to GenCon.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  15:55:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too Aytros, me too.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  16:26:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, no word at all about what was discussed. Those who attended are cruel and heartless!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aytros
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:10:52  Show Profile Send Aytros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone posted an overview over on the Wizards Community FR forum
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:24:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aytros

Someone posted an overview over on the Wizards Community FR forum

Link?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right Here
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:50:14  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Right Here

That's a recap of the "Fate of the Realms" event, which was earlier.

This thread is for the "Harpers at Twilight" event (aka the Candlekeep Seminar).

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:55:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still a somewhat helpful link though. Thanks Uzzy.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  20:47:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i went downtown with every intention of going to the Candlekeep Seminar.....but my wife and son came with and decided they needed to eat first.....even though my seminar was starting.....so after finding a spot to eat with everyone downtown from GenCon and the MotoGP race......it was late enough that it had to be wrapping up :(

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Aug 2013 20:51:10
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  21:20:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
well i went downtown with every intention of going to the Candlekeep Seminar.....but my wife and son came with and decided they needed to eat first....

*gasp* Eating b-before gaming! *shakes fist and yells* That's grounds for divorce!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  22:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me, we organizers are not cruel and heartless. We're just most of us still asleep. But fortunately, one of us only trances for four hours, so . . .

The event came with a set of signature, commemorative pins displaying the Harper symbol. So yes--there are people out there carrying around Harper pins.

On the agenda was a long discussion of the Harpers, who are being reinvigorated in the setting going forward. Ed and Erin pointed out the two kinds of Harpers: 1) the James Bond kind of Harpers, who are secret agents who actively work against political figures with too much power (particularly but not only evil ones), who you'll find in Erin's Brimstone Angels books, and 2) the subtle Information Monger kind of Harpers, like an old grandmother who will fight to defend her family but otherwise will never pick up a weapon in her life, who sits on her porch and watches a particular alley in preparation for someone who makes the sign of the harp to ask her questions about folk who go down or come out of that alley.

Over the last hundred years, fewer of these questions have come to these passive information gatherers, but that doesn't mean they have gone away. As far as they know, it's just that no one has come to them for information. But now more of these assets are being tapped.

We talked about the things that make the Realms iconic--things that last across the centuries and make the Realms THE REALMS. Things like the Harpers, Zhentarim, other cool organizations (good and evil alike), buried secrets, significant/strong women, widespread use of magic, a vast panoramic scope, etc.

We also talked about concepts for the seminar for next year, asking what people are looking for out of the seminar: discussions with the authors and designers, stories of working in the Realms over the years, hints about the future of the setting, secrets to further flesh out organizations and characters we might not know well enough.

The last two hours of the seminar was basically a chat with a dozen of us designers and authors, classic and current, telling stories from TSR, WotC, and the Realms in general. It was a great time.

Lastly, I offered everyone present a particular challenge, which is a semi-secret (much like the Harpers themselves): Bearing a Harper badge marks you as an agent of a semi-secret organization for the advancement of good OF (rather than IN) the Realms. If you bear a Harper Pin or wish to do so in the future, then you hold a great responsibility to go along with that power.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to be an advocate for the Realms.

Speak out about what you want to see (and say why), and offer criticism of things you don't like (and saw why).

Read the novels and sourcebooks, and offer feedback to WotC and the authors.

Post reviews.

Tell your friends.

Ask your local gaming store to stock more Realms stuff.

Be an outspoken advocate for the Realms, in whatever way you can.

Because this is a time of great change and great opportunity, and the Realms needs you now more than ever before.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  22:37:24  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Lastly, I offered everyone present a particular challenge, which is a semi-secret (much like the Harpers themselves): Bearing a Harper badge marks you as an agent of a semi-secret organization for the advancement of good OF (rather than IN) the Realms. If you bear a Harper Pin or wish to do so in the future, then you hold a great responsibility to go along with that power.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to be an advocate for the Realms.

Speak out about what you want to see (and say why), and offer criticism of things you don't like (and saw why).

Just as a point of order: just like a Harper in the Realms, this does not mean automatically supporting the status quo or advocating for certain people or things that have authority and control.

Sometimes, being a Harper means being outspoken in a very honest way, giving critiques that people don't want to hear, and even (on rare occasions) fighting with sword and wand to restore the good. It's easy to go along with your friends until they start making serious mistakes. It's even harder when you sometimes have to point out the errors they're blind to - whether by accident or by choice.

Being a Harper isn't a "feel good" club of fast friends. It's people who want to defend the Realms and take action to repair them even when they've gone badly astray. Those currently in power, whether it's on a throne or working in an office, must remember that they are custodians of the future. And we will be watching.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 19 Aug 2013 22:40:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  22:40:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods I'd love to get my hands on one of those Harper pins...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  23:02:27  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Wooly said...
Go to Top of Page

Aytros
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  00:19:52  Show Profile Send Aytros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second that.
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  00:29:12  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aytros

I second that.

If'n you need a third on that......

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  00:42:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Motion passed.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  03:12:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe.

I'm still waiting to get my hands on one of the pins from last year's seminar.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  03:17:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

On the agenda was a long discussion of the Harpers, who are being reinvigorated in the setting going forward. Ed and Erin pointed out the two kinds of Harpers: 1) the James Bond kind of Harpers, who are secret agents who actively work against political figures with too much power (particularly but not only evil ones), who you'll find in Erin's Brimstone Angels books, and 2) the subtle Information Monger kind of Harpers, like an old grandmother who will fight to defend her family but otherwise will never pick up a weapon in her life, who sits on her porch and watches a particular alley in preparation for someone who makes the sign of the harp to ask her questions about folk who go down or come out of that alley.

Over the last hundred years, fewer of these questions have come to these passive information gatherers, but that doesn't mean they have gone away. As far as they know, it's just that no one has come to them for information. But now more of these assets are being tapped.
This, more than anything else, is what I wanted to hear coming out of this event.

Not only am I ecstatic over the prospect of such Harpers-based discussion between so many great Realms Lorelords, but it's a perfect example of why the entire world-wide community of Realms fans and developers can take heart in what we can expect as our favourite world moves forward.

These brainstorming sessions are where ideas -- both new and old -- are explored in as many varied ways as the number of folk who participate. Each with their own views and desires to make something for the Realms that we can all enjoy.

I can only hope that one day I'll have the opportunity to share in this experience, in person, at my first GenCon.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  03:17:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Gods I'd love to get my hands on one of those Harper pins...

I can't believe I was within one city block of fitting a Harper pin

Ahh.... That's what I get for letting the family misdirect me

Sounds like I missed a great time

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  07:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to thank everyone who helped put the seminar together and the authors who showed up to talk. I don't know about anyone else, but for me the highlight of both of these has been the old war stories from Ed, James, and co. during the TSR days. I would pay for hours of just that. The look behind the scenes that provides is something else. It was great to hear that, at least for the 6 Sundering books and hopefully into the future, the barriers to internal communication are less of an issue. That, more than anything, has me optimistic.

It was mentioned a few times that we can help by talking about the Realms (presumably in a generally positive manner). I was wondering if Erik, or anyone else in the know, could detail the best way to go about that? Brian Cortijo mentioned writing here on Candlekeep and Amazon reviews when I talked with him at the end. I assume the WotC forums as well. But does it do any good to talk elsewhere (beyond spreading the word)? Does it do any good to try to correct misunderstandings about the Realms or to counteract outright (and likely misplaced) hatred? Or are sites that accept/condone/encourage that likely already on the ignore list at WotC?

Letter writing was mentioned. Who should the letters be sent to? My handwriting is terrible, but will signing a typed letter and spending money on the stamp be enough to get the point across or should I write it out (and then pray that they can actually read it) to mail it?

If it's not crossing a line with WotC, some explanation of these topics would be appreciated.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  23:07:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a ton of unpublished lore. I am sitting on oodles of content that I have written during my free-time. WotC will publish what will help them further their brand-messaging, and in turn bring in cash. If I'm sitting on this lore, I know for a fact the others have their own caches.

Thanks SO much for everyone who came out. I'm sure it was a pleasant surprise to have the likes of Ed, Bob (R.A. Salvatore), and the others, all in such an intimate conversation. That's the best part of this event. Special kudos to Brian Cortijo for handling the Harper Pins. They turned out above and beyond!

I have plans for next year. We're stepping this operation up a bit. You WON'T want to miss it.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  03:12:22  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt, Brian, Brian, Eric, etc,

Great job with the event gentlemen! A truly fantastic experience - it was my (and my wife's, and our friends...) favorite event of the convention!

Keep up the great work!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000