Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 2nd Excerpt from The Godborn: Telemont and Rivalen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  18:34:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've posted the second (of six) excerpts from The Godborn. Have a read, if you're so inclined.

http://paulskemp.com/blog/excerpt-two-from-the-godborn-telemont-and-rivalen/

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  19:01:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thank you, Paul. That was one helluva teaser.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 May 2013 19:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  20:53:07  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiousity, where does this link go?

I just want to know, so I can add it to list of sights my Screen-reader can't work with, and can thus avoid. I mean no offense.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  21:00:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Just out of curiousity, where does this link go?

I just want to know, so I can add it to list of sights my Screen-reader can't work with, and can thus avoid. I mean no offense.

None taken. The link goes to my website/blog.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  21:12:20  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved it! Thanks Paul!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  03:17:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. I am so looking forward to Oct...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  06:05:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So Rivalen might be beyond Telamont now? Hmm . . .

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  10:44:26  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff! Thanks.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  15:38:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I like it. A lot.

Now if Rivalen goes on to kill HadrHune or Telemont.....I get you a beer at GenCon.....

If he kills them both , it'll be like six beers and a meal

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  16:48:15  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Hadrhune was dead in canon, in the Anauroch adventure or something. Glad to see his feud with Rivalen wasn't ended by godhood.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  22:17:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummmm, when did Telamont Tanthul's name become Telemont? Haven't read through the thing yet, but that struck me, so figured I'd ask before I forget.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  02:18:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Must be typo only.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  03:35:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In RoTaW it is said by Telemont that Hadrhune is an Elf.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  04:12:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Have no doubt that it would be a knock down drag out...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  12:54:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Have no doubt that it would be a knock down drag out...
Well, I hope the “You’re mistaken, child” part bears some weight. Besides, it would have been too careless of him to have allowed his son (whose loyalty is to Shar only) to steal some power from a godling without some well-placed contingencies.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  17:43:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ummmm, when did Telamont Tanthul's name become Telemont? Haven't read through the thing yet, but that struck me, so figured I'd ask before I forget.

My error. I always spell it with an "e" for some reason. I think I think it looks more menacing that way. :-) It'll be fixed in the final manuscript.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  02:55:24  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

I sooo can't wait for this book. Its been too many agonizing years
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  09:32:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Rivalen sure is not hiding behind his machinations anymore. I cant wait for Telamont to put him in his place.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  00:48:26  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Wow Rivalen sure is not hiding behind his machinations anymore. I cant wait for Telamont to put him in his place.

Same. I hate the idea that absorbing a 3rd of the divinity of a quasi deity with a 0 level divinity would inflate his powers enough to suddenly make him a match for Telamont.

I'd like to think that Telamont can still win the fight, albeit, it would be a knock down drag out brawl of magic.

I was still waiting for Aumvor the undying to make an appearance in novels related to Shade. Given that his goal was to restore the empire, but with himself at its head, I often wondered how he is viewing the idea that it is reforming without him

In Canon, Hadrhune is indeed dead. Died in the dalelands unless I am mistaken fighting in what he thought was a dead magic area. Trying to pick up a bunch of nether scrolls(Which are among the most powerful artifacts in the realms), even working with Phaerimm towards this goal(taught them shadow magic in return.)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  16:25:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul! Awewome.

I noticed the Chosen are refered to in Erin's Advesary summary as well, so I'm guessing that this functions as key part of the Sundering.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  16:42:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Same. I hate the idea that absorbing a 3rd of the divinity of a quasi deity with a 0 level divinity would inflate his powers enough to suddenly make him a match for Telamont.

I'd like to think that Telamont can still win the fight, albeit, it would be a knock down drag out brawl of magic.
Agreed, agreed, agreed. Let’s not forget this is the same guy who once deflected the supposedly unstoppable silverfire of the Chosen, and the same guy who’s been experimenting with shadow magic for millennia.

quote:
I was still waiting for Aumvor the undying to make an appearance in novels related to Shade. Given that his goal was to restore the empire, but with himself at its head, I often wondered how he is viewing the idea that it is reforming without him.
As I am. It’d be great too to see a couple more surviving archwizards hiding all these years, including Ioulaum. Though I hope he’d get to inhabit a human or at least a humanoid body.

quote:
In Canon, Hadrhune is indeed dead. Died in the dalelands unless I am mistaken fighting in what he thought was a dead magic area. Trying to pick up a bunch of nether scrolls(Which are among the most powerful artifacts in the realms), even working with Phaerimm towards this goal(taught them shadow magic in return.)
I think this was detailed in a sourcebook. But doesn’t novel lore supersede that from the sourcebooks, essentially?

Paul, can you confirm this, please?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  17:18:35  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul! Awewome.

I noticed the Chosen are refered to in Erin's Advesary summary as well, so I'm guessing that this functions as key part of the Sundering.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  13:10:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Plus its Telamont who commands the loyalty of most of the Shadovar not his upstart son so even if Rivalen is arrogant enough to attack his in the heart of Shade enclave , he will soon come to regret it.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  14:39:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, awesome as always!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  23:29:38  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think this was detailed in a sourcebook. But doesn’t novel lore supersede that from the sourcebooks, essentially?

That's what I thought too.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  14:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming Hadrhune returned via a clone or some contingency magic perhaps? That said, Anauroch does give the option that Hadrhune might escape. Does the novel make any mention of this?

I'm more curious if it clears up the human/elven shade discrepancy that has plagued Hadrhune since Return of the Archwizards.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 17 Oct 2013 14:14:41
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  22:09:30  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the imprisoned Chosen of the Gods to be a handy way to leap frog them through time right past the spellplague into 5th E :P
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  17:50:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Chosen will act as substitutes for avatars so they (the gods) would not inflict too much damage to the Realms. Maybe.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000