Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What good aligned gods could handle ghosts?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  00:07:00  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Am thinking of this between the times of troubles era and before the spellplauge, as the era of gods...

but over all...

What sort of good aligned gods, and followers of gods do you think could handle ghosts being around with out jerkily declaring them evil by the default judgment of being undead?

((the idea behind this is a good aligned ghost))

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  00:39:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well good aligned deities would tend to accept good ghosts I would think, more so if were of the faith before turning. Though I would think deity would like to see a follower soul achieve rest sooner rather then later.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  02:05:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much good-aligned, as such, but I think CN Shaundakul would be one -- seeing good-aligned ghosts as just another method of exploration and travel beyond the corporeal world.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  03:28:42  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a paladin ghost who channeled the power of a God whose name nobody could remember.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  03:52:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not so much good-aligned, as such, but I think CN Shaundakul would be one -- seeing good-aligned ghosts as just another method of exploration and travel beyond the corporeal world.

I know Shaundakul has Windghosts...but they aren't undead.

Folks...and gods...of Faerun don't think of things in the western sense. I think they would take a liking to a ghost if it wasn't evil. The "witch" of Shadowdale would be a good example.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 18 Mar 2013 03:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  03:55:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good list to start from:

Deneir
Eldath
Lliira
Mielikki
Milil
Mystra
Oghma
Selūne
Silvanus
Tymora

How did I compose this list? Well, check out FOR4 Code of the Harpers. That book has a type of ghostly Harper, the spectral harpist. Spectral harpists retain all of the divine blessings of Master Harpers -- and the book also lists those blessings and the deities (above) who provide them.

So we have a list of deities who are obviously fine with goodly undead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  11:59:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not sure if the identity of the patron deity of Mirror (a former paladin turned ghost/undead) was revealed. But it was clear that he was still favored, as somehow, even though it's anathema to his undeath nature, he was able to wield divine magic.

Flesh, bones, or the lack thereof matters less to the gods. In the end, it's your faith that counts most. Says the heretic.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  13:58:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And IIRC, there was the ghost of a paladin of Tyr... I think the storyline is about Tyr, a good god, maintaining a ghost of a previous follower so he could redeem himself in the future.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  15:38:21  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably, any gods who who don't have a portfolio specifically dealing with life cycles (and even then) or undead as such won't have anything against ghosts, other than practical concerns. Besides, there always were watchghosts (I suppose Helm won't be particularly upset about these), shadowstaves and whatnot. If someone handles non-corporeality well for long enough - hey, that's a potential recruit for ranks of minor divine minions?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  19:55:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can add Corellon to the list as well, Wooly- Since he and the rest of the Seldarine are clearly fine with other forms of "good" undead (baelnorns!) I don't see why they would excluded "good" ghosts.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 18 Mar 2013 19:56:13
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  01:58:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the question is the wrong one. It is not whether a deity declares a ghost good or evil, it is whether the god thinks a tormented spirit should be laid to rest; killed ghosts are not destroyed spirits, they are released spirits. I'd say most good and neutral gods would advocate this; if you can put a spirit to rest, do so. The only exceptions to this would be spirits that are some form of servitor, a spectral harpist or watchghost for example, or Sylune's spirit that still served Mystra. In such cases it would depend on whether the ghost's responsibilities run counter to the god's goals. This would also go for evil gods, excluding gods of the undead like Mykrul, or gods who advocate torment.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  02:19:42  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both the elves of Myth Drannor and dwarves of Gauntlgrym have ghosts as guardians.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  11:20:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor by Carrie Bebris, there's a ghost High Priestess of Mystra who helped the adventurers rid the pools of “contamination.”

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  12:12:24  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leira, because she is a ghost. Or vestige.

z455t
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000