Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Last Threshold (Spoilers BeWare)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  04:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
That this review can't be true. I can't explain the sense of loss I would feel.

WARNING: The link to The Last Threshold review has a major spoiler if it's a true review

www.dmfiat.com/reviews/book-reviews/the-last-threshold-review

I really really hope this isn't true. One of the things I always look forward too is the release of the next Drizzt book every year. And even though I read the books without "Drizzt" in them. Knowing he was still alive was a comfort. A "Drizzt" book without Drizzt being alive just wouldn't be satisfying.
Sigh.

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 09 Mar 2013 06:21:36

perseus
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  20:16:26  Show Profile Send perseus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Drizztsmanchild. I run DM Fiat so I figured I swing by and talk about the review a little bit.

Spoiler content below, an interview link, and more spoiler content:

So...first off, the review is real. We received an advanced copy from Wizards of the Coast to do a review of the book.

The interpretation of the ending seemed pretty clear to Ophelia. In fact, it seemed pretty clear to me too and the book was reviewed solely on its contents. In our interview with him regarding Charon's Claw R.A Salvatore had said "Nobody is Immortal" http://www.dmfiat.com/featured-post/interview-with-r-a-salvatore-charons-claw

Extra Spoiler content below:

That being said, we do know that there is another book with Drizzt coming out. It's called "The Companions: The Sundering" and it is said to feature Drizzt. So, it's quite probable that Drizzt will be back. We also interviewed him again a few days ago (Although we only got a few questions this time) and it personally clouded the issue for me. That interview will go up tomorrow and I'll post it for you when it goes live.

When you read the book, go back to the page and let us know what you think in the comments.

Edited by - perseus on 27 Feb 2013 20:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  20:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thank you for that :). I mean no offense when I say "if its true". I do believe you recieved a copy and have read it. My post was a " It cant be true" type. Drizzt is the reason I started reading Fantasy Novels to begin with. So to find out he dies...well its a disappointment to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

perseus
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  20:36:24  Show Profile Send perseus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, no worries. :)

It's amazing how many people started reading fantasy novels because of Drizzt. One of our writers, Kildahr, had a similar reaction so I totally understand.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  22:02:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I have a friend who reacted as you did, Drizztsmanchild, earlier this week, when she got hold of an advance copy of THE LAST THRESHOLD, and read it. I nudged Ed about this, knowing he'd divulge nothing out of professional ethics and loyalty to Bob, but he surprised me by saying this much:

That ending should shock.
And it's real.
But . . . just you wait (however impatiently) for THE COMPANIONS, the first book of The Sundering, and Bob's next book set in the Realms. There's more ahead.
Much more. Recently Bob briefly outlined what he plans for his next few books, and I can't wait! I want him to write them all yesterday and send them my way today!
Tell Drizztsmanchild and perseus and Kildahr to stay along for the ride. Oh, it's going to be wild!

So there you have it. The founder of the Realms bouncing-up-and-down-excited by what Bob has planned. (I happen to know that Bob showed Ed the beginning of The COMPANIONS, so it's not just talk and promises.)
Oh, and Ed added this:
Bob was grinning like a kid when he shared his plans.

So...be not downcast, all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  22:31:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say I agree with you DMC, though I'd understand the author wanting to move on after so long. I haven't read it but I will, Drizzt is too old a 'friend' not to. Maybe that will make this the best Realms book ever written...

When was the last time the death of a fictional character touched anyone the way the death of a loved one does? Not just sadness, but the profound sense of loss. For me you have to go all the way back to Dickens' writing for that kind of poignance.

I will hate it. Which is as it should be.

BTW, Thanks for the ray of hope THO.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  00:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm... speechless... just when I was getting used to Drizzt again, they go and bump him off. I'm torn between going "it's about time" and going, "wait, he's an elf... he's too young to die!" Only the Good-Aligned die young, I guess.
I really like most of Bob's other work, but Drizzt grew old on me after about the first six novels. I guess, as an author, it's hard to make every story feel fresh and new but still be about the same character. After all, every day life tends toward a "same stuff, different day" mantra anyway, why shouldn't it apply to heroic characters as well?
I just hope, and given Ghost King as an example, I expect, the old drow will die well. As infrequently as I've said this about a Drizzt novel, I really can't wait to read it. Not because I'm a sicko that can't wait to see the dark-skinned philosopher fall, but because I'm curious. Curious to see how one of the first Realms novel characters I read about is ushered into Mielikki's Realm.

Thanks for posting this.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  01:52:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is going to be in the Companions (see the preview on Amazon). LT isn't the end, don't worry!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  02:00:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though...I'm still dreading the Last Threshold now lol

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  02:07:48  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, even without reading the review or the spoilers, I can tell what happens. I admit, that I am already sad.
I am a cryer. I completely admit it. There is a part of me that is now dreading to read this book next week. I most definitely will read it, but man. I think it will be a rough ride.
Thank you THO for hinting that the ride is not completely over yet.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  02:21:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, methinks we just need to be patient and allow Bob the freedom to stretch his legs with Drizzt some more, like what he has done by having Drizzt lose some of his optimism and good cheer. We shouldn't assume "END" merely because he shows us "CHANGE". Keep following along...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  04:10:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

I have to admit, even without reading the review or the spoilers, I can tell what happens. I admit, that I am already sad.
I am a cryer. I completely admit it. There is a part of me that is now dreading to read this book next week. I most definitely will read it, but man. I think it will be a rough ride.
Thank you THO for hinting that the ride is not completely over yet.

I hear you there. I'm a sap and get attached to characters easily. Sometimes, events in books keep me up at night. I know the Companions will feature Drizzt, so that softens the blow a little, but, still...

@BEAST: of course it is Bob's choice to do what he wants, and we know Drizzt's story isn't over, but I have to admit I'm still dreading it a bit. But...I think Bob should take it as a compliment to know his readers are worried.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  04:30:18  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO: Thank you for that tidbit and Ed as well:-).
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  04:48:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm...it's like right before the spellplague someone identified all the "webs" that entangled me in the realms. and since that time theynhave been severing them one at a time. there are a few strands left, Ed is still penning good reads and Erik Scott de Bie(but he hasnt been contracted for anything new )but D for better or worse was my anchor to the realms.

Crap......i guess im off to sulk.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  17:14:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm upset too, but we KNOW Drizzt is in the Companions, which comes out in August. It's up on Amazon, and the cover features Drizzt and Guen. I hope Drizzt doesn't end up in some sort of limbo or in Lolth's clutches @@ I hope he's with his friends...though in the Companions it sounds like he returns to Icewind to reflect on them...hmm...crap LOL.

I ordered The Last Threshold, but I might have to wait til it's closer to August to read it. But that might change considering reviews will start popping up on Candlekeep in no time once people actually read the book. Gagh, why do my favorite characters always die?!

But...it sounds like Jarlaxle makes an appearance, so that's good at least. I'm trying not to fret too much, since there is another Drizzt book in the works.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  20:41:13  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon and it says it will be here by Tuesday evening. I admit I have had some horrible ideas of how he might actually die. But, it is also good that RAS has created a character and Ed has created a world that we can become so invested in that we do think about these things.

I did have a thought that I do not know how the time will play out, to compare the por/epilogues from TOK to the end of The Last Threshhold? I know RAS says we cannot hold him to that too much, but..

I understand how you feel Red Walker. So far I am luckky that there are still several older novels I have not read, I have not purchased many new ones. I have been trying to read one for several months now. It is even by an author I like, but the feel is just weird in the current Realms that I am not as into it. I am trying though.

I do have faith and I am sure I will be an emotional wreck by next weekend. And I will have to wait until August to see what Ao is up to and how that will effect my beloved characters.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:31:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah I've been wondering about the pro/epilogue of TOK too. It felt random to me, especially because it hasn't been addressed since.

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that The Companions is about Drizzt, but it makes me wonder what will happen to him between his, um, death, and then. Where will his spirit be? I hope he gets to be with his friends, but...hmm...

I'm worried about how the Sundering is going to affect the Realms as a whole, gods, races, world and all. I haven't been that happy with the last few Drizzt books, so I'd been wishing the Godborn was first, but to find out Drizzt dies in LT, I'm suddenly glad The Companions is first--though I still eagerly await Godborn and the others as well.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  10:32:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No biggie for me.Id like to see Bob focus on new characters.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:26:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Drizzt's Death . . . Now why do I have a feeling it's going to dwarf all RSEs?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Onyx1978
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:37:10  Show Profile Send Onyx1978 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Death is just another beginning, that´s something Gandalf said, as far as I can remember. D&D and the Forgotten Realms are going to be changed forever (and as far as I understand, a little bit back to old shcool fantasy): So there are two worlds to live in.
Oh yeah, I was shocked as well. But I guess, ok, I hope that I can guess where this path is leading.
Go to Top of Page

Onyx1978
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:49:49  Show Profile Send Onyx1978 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoq-vwWHHg
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  16:15:07  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, we know the Sundering is coming, and the Companions, featuring Drizzt, is first. So we know this is not the end, but it is still a little painful. And to those who don't know about the Sundering and have only read Drizzt...they will think Last Threshold is, well, the last.

But I am psyched to see Jarlaxle back in action. Hopefully he stays around for awhile.

Go to Top of Page

perseus
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  16:15:50  Show Profile Send perseus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! Since I said I was going to post this once it was done, here is the latest interview we had with Bob. It happened over e-mail so we weren't able to ask him as many questions. I apologize if it's a little bare:

http://www.dmfiat.com/interviews/interview-with-r-a-salvatore-about-the-last-threshold
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  17:28:03  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of you folks who are running around screaming "The sky is falling!" or "Oh, noes!" remind me of the gods in <the Sundering video>, once they learn that Ao plans to rebuild the Tablets of Fate. They know they're in for big changes, but they don't know what that's really going to mean. They don't even know if it's going to be bad for them. But a lot of them assume it.

If you're not up to anything bad in the first place, then what have you to worry about? Shouldn't it all work out for the common good, in the end?

I'm not religious, so I'm not about to tell people to keep the faith or anything like that. But we should remain calm, for now, and let the cosmic/divine/creative plan unfold. Examine it, before we freak out about it.

Drizzt should be able to entertain and inspire --or annoy and rankle --whether he is still alive or not. His greatest value has always been what he represents, or how he rubs off onto others, or how he inspires audiences, rather than what he himself ever personally did. And that influence can never die, no matter what happens to his mortal coil.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  04:40:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perseus

Hey! Since I said I was going to post this once it was done, here is the latest interview we had with Bob. It happened over e-mail so we weren't able to ask him as many questions. I apologize if it's a little bare:

http://www.dmfiat.com/interviews/interview-with-r-a-salvatore-about-the-last-threshold

Thanks for that link! It sounds like Jarlaxle is going to get more attention in the future, and that will be nice. I love Jarlaxle. But of course I am fond of Drizzt too. I could care less whether Dahlia lives or dies. I have a love/hate relationship with Entreri.

The ending of the interview makes me really worried for Guen though.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:03:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a bad feeling about this scroll and avoided it all this time and that's what i should have continued to do. Drizzts death was such a shock that I literally jumped out of my seat. He was my introduction to the realms and I sincerely hope this isn't the last we see of him.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  17:36:39  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of wish I had avoided it, too, but at least now I know what is coming. I look forward to the Companions because it will have Drizzt. He's on the cover of it, and we know from the Sundering videos on youtube that he is around during the Sundering. It sounds like at least 3 more novels after LT are on the way, so I am trying not to be TOO sad,but it is already bothering me. I hope his soul doesn't get trapped in some godsforsaken place while we wait for the next book. It also also sounds like Companions is already written, so I wish it was coming out sooner.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  17:51:54  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Death is not the end. I hope Drizzt becomes a petitoner and continues his adventures in the Outer Planes with the Companions. The planes could benefit from his fame.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  19:06:32  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read this interview with RAS. There are a couple of points that I wanted to point out.

http://misprintedpages.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/interview-ra-salvatore-the-last-threshold-neverwinter/

"RAS: I’ll be hiding on an island, so … The one thing I hope they’ll hold in me, after all these years, is a measure of trust and an acceptance that this is my story, being shared."
This is a piece that I am trying to hold to. RAS is sharing his story with us. It is common for fans to be emotionally invested in the characters. But in the end, it is the author's story to do with as they are often compelled to. Don't get me wrong. I don't want Drizzt to die and I will in a sense miss him. But, it is RAS's story. And as a fan of his books and characters, I trust him with his story.

Also, he states The Companions largely happen during the same time frame as the Neverwinter books. I find this comforting. If he is reflecting on his companions and his life, that is the time for it to be happening.

I expect to have an emotional reaction next week when I read the book. I trust RAS with our beloved Drizzt and the rest of the Companions.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  19:24:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

Also, he states The Companions largely happen during the same time frame as the Neverwinter books. I find this comforting. If he is reflecting on his companions and his life, that is the time for it to be happening.

I expect to have an emotional reaction next week when I read the book. I trust RAS with our beloved Drizzt and the rest of the Companions.

I read the interview, and if the Companions takes place around the same time as the Neverwinter saga...I personally don't find that comforting, no offense to you or Salvatore. It means Drizzt still dies, though it does leave the question of what the next 3 books will be about (and both Ed and RAS seem pretty excited about it). At this point, I sincerely just hope he winds up with Catti and the others (and maybe Zak?). With the other companions, it showed their reactions of ending up in Iraduun (sp?). I hope we see this with Drizzt as well.

It's funny, for awhile there I was hoping Drizzt died--though I certainly wanted him to end up with his friends--not because I was tired of Drizzt, but because I felt the story was just dragging on, and the previous books had been a bit of a disappointment. But now that it's actually happening...I change my mind. I guess the extent of the impact will depend on how he dies, and what happens to him afterwards. If he ends up with his friends, I'll cry but smile. If it just says "and then he died, and there was darkness", well...I might want to throw the book (I don't actually throw books, though). But, oh, I worry for Guen too.

All that said, I am so excited to see Jarlaxle again

@Quale: that is an interesting idea, come to think of it.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  19:59:32  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Corellonsdevout: One of the interviews said that RAS was half way through the next book after The Companions. There was also a mention about who the new lead character would be, perhaps even Jarlaxle.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000