Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deific Couples
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  16:33:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've made no secret of my belief that I'd like to see there be some kind of "relationship" between Mask and Leira going on. Whether this blossoms into a "romance" between the gods is a question for another day, or it could just be a simple case of their "hooking up" for now. NOTE: in all this, I'm not stating a definitive "sexual" relationship as gods don't mate, but they do seem to have emotions similiar to our own.

This can lead to some interesting story/npc/pc options where individuals of both priesthoods or possibly lay worshippers may be involved with one another (i.e. as goes the heavens, so goes the earth).

Along these lines, are there any other things which seem to people to be "obvious" pairings? I'll list a few that just jump out to me

Leira / Mask

Bane / Loviatar

Lathander as "playing the field" with Chauntea, Tymora, Sune, and probably a lot of other good goddesses

Osiris / Isis (this one is documented, correct?)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  16:51:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they can mate, or have offsprings resulting from sexual intercourse as mortals do (though they do not actually need sex/pregnancy to have a child). They can even do dumb crap like some humans, like fight over a girl (to the death), ain't that right Tyr?

There probably was something going on between Xvim and Loviatar, and I'd say between Lathander and Chauntea. My guess would be that lawful deities tend to have an official, monogamous relationship, while chaotic deities just go wild, ain't that right Corellon?

Edited by - Kilvan on 07 Feb 2013 18:33:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  17:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I've made no secret of my belief that I'd like to see there be some kind of "relationship" between Mask and Leira going on. Whether this blossoms into a "romance" between the gods is a question for another day, or it could just be a simple case of their "hooking up" for now. NOTE: in all this, I'm not stating a definitive "sexual" relationship as gods don't mate, but they do seem to have emotions similiar to our own.

This can lead to some interesting story/npc/pc options where individuals of both priesthoods or possibly lay worshippers may be involved with one another (i.e. as goes the heavens, so goes the earth).

Along these lines, are there any other things which seem to people to be "obvious" pairings? I'll list a few that just jump out to me

Leira / Mask

Bane / Loviatar

Lathander as "playing the field" with Chauntea, Tymora, Sune, and probably a lot of other good goddesses

Osiris / Isis (this one is documented, correct?)

Lathander was once interested in Tyche, and more recently in Chauntea. That's canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  18:26:45  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garagos is in love with Shar.

Back when he was still a greater power of war she pretended to return his feelings, but since he was reduced to a mere demipower she doesn't find him useful anymore and stopped pretending.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  18:31:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods can mate just like mortals. IIRC correctly from Empyrean Odyssey, there was somewhat of a love triangle going on between Helm, Siamphore (spelling?), and...Tyr? I Think? Corellon and Angrahadh, and I believe Sehanine was/is too. Mystra and Kelemvor were, but they had a falling-Out.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  19:00:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Leira / Mask goes - I think it would be great to play her as the ULTIMATE tease. Always false to him, no matter the situation. She leads him on and shoots him down, but its never what he thinks. Would make for some good laughs I'd say.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  19:26:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I think they can mate, or have offsprings resulting from sexual intercourse as mortals do (though they do not actually need sex/pregnancy to have a child). They can even do dumb crap like some humans, like fight over a girl (to the death), ain't that right Tyr?

There probably was something going on between Xvim and Loviatar, and I'd say between Lathander and Chauntea. My guess would be that lawful deities tend to have an official, monogamous relationship, while chaotic deities just go wild, ain't that right Corellon?

I wouldn't say Corellon goes wild. He was actually faithful to Lolth until she betrayed him. I don't think he and Sehanine were lovers at that point. I'll admit currently his relationships are a little confusing. I thought he was with Sehanine until 4e FRCG said Angrahadh (I know I am probably spelling that wrong) was his Queen. It might be because of the whole Selune/Sehanine aspect thing. I wouldn't call him wild though. He's not taking mates left and right.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  19:36:53  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wouldn't say Corellon goes wild. He was actually faithful to Lolth until she betrayed him. I don't think he and Sehanine were lovers at that point. I'll admit currently his relationships are a little confusing. I thought he was with Sehanine until 4e FRCG said Angrahadh (I know I am probably spelling that wrong) was his Queen. It might be because of the whole Selune/Sehanine aspect thing. I wouldn't call him wild though. He's not taking mates left and right.

Fair enough. I just meant that Chaotic deities would have an easier time with polygamous relationships than Lawful deities.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  19:47:34  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps your right, and I take some of what I said back. It wasn't just 4e that said Angarradh was his consort, but Demihuman Deities says it, too. It also says Sehanine is sometimes called the wife of Corellon, and she is the primary aspect of Angharradh (since she was created by Hanali, Aedrie, and Sehanine), so yes, they could both be his lover, which wouldn't make it monogamous, but he's not consorting with any other deities that I know of. Sehanine and Ang seem to be okay with sharing, and since, in a way, Sehanine is literally part of Ang, it is...somewhat monogamous? LOL I don't know, it gets weird if you think about it too much, I'll admit.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  00:35:56  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murdane was Helms lover, but she got killed by Lathanders Dawn Cataslysm.

Much later Helm then tries to hit on Tymora during the day he has to guard her for her wedding with Tyr (a set up by Sune). Helm loses his life for that in a challenge with Tyr.

Gruumsh and Lolth have worked together. I bet they could have had some good times.

Umberlee is sometimes Talos' lover; they have a rather stormy relationship.

Talos also courted Malyk (God of Wild Magic) awhile.

]Noncanon] Guroth (goblin mother goddes who died in childbirth) and Maglubiyet were lovers ]Noncanon]

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  00:39:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was rumoured that Helm and Mystra I were lovers at some point -- as suggested in Waterdeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  00:59:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Helm got around.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  14:34:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As far as Leira / Mask goes - I think it would be great to play her as the ULTIMATE tease. Always false to him, no matter the situation. She leads him on and shoots him down, but its never what he thinks. Would make for some good laughs I'd say.

My thoughts are somewhat similar to this. She wants to use him to get things rather than risk herself and uses "sexual manipulation" and illusion/lies for it. He's hooked (um, I would be too after fooling around with a goddess of illusions), and he uses his control of intrigues to setup situations wherein she's forced to give it up or else she either doesn't get what she wants OR loses something she already has. So, its not all one-sided and her just laughing at him, but its definitely not all love. Both of course also enjoy the "game" itself and don't take it personally. So, its not "love" per se between them, but its definitely a relationship with benefits.... a twisted, somewhat psychotic relationship.... but a relationship.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  15:25:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Murdane was Helms lover, but she got killed by Lathanders Dawn Cataslysm.

Much later Helm then tries to hit on Tymora during the day he has to guard her for her wedding with Tyr (a set up by Sune). Helm loses his life for that in a challenge with Tyr.

Gruumsh and Lolth have worked together. I bet they could have had some good times.

Umberlee is sometimes Talos' lover; they have a rather stormy relationship.

Talos also courted Malyk (God of Wild Magic) awhile.

]Noncanon] Guroth (goblin mother goddes who died in childbirth) and Maglubiyet were lovers ]Noncanon]

Talos and Umberlee... yeah, your right, now that one would be an interesting relationship. They're clergy would be having some angry sex in the sack if mirrored on earth. The interesting thing here would be if there was some jealousy on the part of Auril... that cold hearted bitch who took Talos' portfolios.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  01:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A story I conceived once focused on a heretical church that professed that Sune and Lathander were lovers and meant to "marry" them by spreading the canon of their union through the Realms. If enough mortals believe something, the gods ultimately bow to it. The main conflict came about because in this union, Lathander was the superior, Sune the inferior . . . which the main character (a priestess of Sune) had a pretty huge problem with. Though the charismatic jerk of a Lathander priest leading the movement *was* particularly dreamy . . .

Not your average D&D story, but a fun concept.

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Back when he was still a greater power of war she pretended to return his feelings, but since he was reduced to a mere demipower she doesn't find him useful anymore and stopped pretending.
"I don't know, Garagos. I pretended to like you when you were popular." ~ Shar, the heartless queen of ego crippling since forever

quote:

Perhaps your right, and I take some of what I said back. It wasn't just 4e that said Angarradh was his consort, but Demihuman Deities says it, too. It also says Sehanine is sometimes called the wife of Corellon, and she is the primary aspect of Angharradh (since she was created by Hanali, Aedrie, and Sehanine), so yes, they could both be his lover, which wouldn't make it monogamous, but he's not consorting with any other deities that I know of. Sehanine and Ang seem to be okay with sharing, and since, in a way, Sehanine is literally part of Ang, it is...somewhat monogamous? LOL I don't know, it gets weird if you think about it too much, I'll admit.

We call that "monogamish," actually.

And (as discussed in Races of the Wild and most of the time you see an elf in a novel talk about the subject, particularly one of mine) elves don't see romantic relationships quite the same way humans do. Elves might get "married" but that's more for family alliances, less for fulfilment of one's emotional needs. The concept of monogamy is extremely strange to them, though sometimes celebrated as a kind of romantic ideal. Such as, if you're going to dedicate potentially thousands of years to one person in the entire world, then you must REALLY love that person. (Or you might just be crazy.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  01:10:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concerning Shar:
"Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger
But she ain't messin' with no broke ......"

I can't believe I just quoted a Kenya West song... I have to go wash my brain out now with bleach and a Brillo Pad.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  01:47:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

A story I conceived once focused on a heretical church that professed that Sune and Lathander were lovers and meant to "marry" them by spreading the canon of their union through the Realms. If enough mortals believe something, the gods ultimately bow to it. The main conflict came about because in this union, Lathander was the superior, Sune the inferior . . . which the main character (a priestess of Sune) had a pretty huge problem with. Though the charismatic jerk of a Lathander priest leading the movement *was* particularly dreamy . . .

Not your average D&D story, but a fun concept.

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

"I don't know, Garagos. I pretended to like you when you were popular." ~ Shar, the heartless queen of ego crippling since forever

quote:

We call that "monogamish," actually.

And (as discussed in Races of the Wild and most of the time you see an elf in a novel talk about the subject, particularly one of mine) elves don't see romantic relationships quite the same way humans do. Elves might get "married" but that's more for family alliances, less for fulfilment of one's emotional needs. The concept of monogamy is extremely strange to them, though sometimes celebrated as a kind of romantic ideal. Such as, if you're going to dedicate potentially thousands of years to one person in the entire world, then you must REALLY love that person. (Or you might just be crazy.)

Cheers

Based on the novels/sourcebooks I've read, including Races of the Wild, my impression was that elves might not form relationships as quickly as humans do, and are more likely to have dalliances before settling down with "the one". This is why many have human lovers. But, elves also idolize love, and when they find the right elf (I say elf because they would outlive their human partner), they mate for life. When elves do mate/and or marry, they are loyal to each other, but may go on separate adventures or live a part for some years in order to grow individually and such, and so when they are reunited, their love is fresh and as strong as ever.

In the Last Mythal trilogy, Ilsevele (sp?) and Araevin had a 20 year betrothal before they were to marry--it ended up not working out, and Ilsevele and Fflar Starbow fell in love fairly quickly and marrying.

So, elves do believe in mating for life, they just don't do it as quickly as shorter-lived races do (I've looked into this, being a hopeless romantic, LOL). My elves tend to get in relationships with other elves faster, but the story would take years otherwise.

And gods don't work the same way mortals do, so the concept of monogamy might vary. And neither Ang nor Sehanine seem to be complaining.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  01:54:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icky.....you keep your hands off my mask, he has gone through enough as it is being dead and all, not some misty lady that is even harder to read then the normal female.

If mask had the urge to procreate, ((my version of mask is LN not LE)) I would hook him up with sharess or Waukeen
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  02:45:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, and let's not ofrget the pairing of Vaerhaun and Zandilar! There was even a little godling born from that one...

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding that Tempus and Besheba have something going on. True, or product of the planar tabloids?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:31:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno, but why hasn't anyone Mentioned Mystra/Midnight and Kelemvor? They were together for at least a little while after his ascention. Maybe that's why they ultimately borke up- he couldn't handle being with a woman who was "above" him in the god-biz!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:58:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned Mystra and Kelemvor in my first post on this thread, actually.

I love Mask, but I think he's better off single, unless he can find the right match. Then again, you could say that about anyone, god or mortal

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:02:32  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood's Elminster's Forgotten Realms had a large group in the Gond church believe that their would subsume and marry Waukeen just as their crafters would take control of the merchants to make themselves rich (or something like that, too lazy to get the book for a quote now).

I would be a funny sect of the church who believe that Gond would subsume and marry Mystra as her dominant husband.

Thoughts?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:36:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couples I know of:

Isis/Osris

Sharess/Anhur on again off again, nonmongomous

Tempus/Besheba

Lovitar/Bane

Lanthander/Chanutea (over thanks to Amatuer)

Amatuer/Siamorphia

Llira was invovled with one of her priestesses during the time of troubles. The Priestess was murdered, but that just means she dwells with Llira now, forever in Brightwater.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:50:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually how about Mask/Erevan Ilesere as a couple, after all no one says Mask has to be hetrosexual.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:55:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be all for homosexual deity relationships, having several homosexual characters myself. However...not sure about Erevan being Mask's lover. I don't think they'd mesh well, though it might work. How about Vhaeraun and Mask? (I know they're both dead, but whatever). I've actually toyed with the idea of Fenmarel and Shevarash being a couple XD

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  17:18:54  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If mask was to get it on with another guy, I think of all of them, Id rather have Garagos ...mmm what you could do with that many arms :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:27:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be all for homosexual deity relationships, having several homosexual characters myself. However...not sure about Erevan being Mask's lover. I don't think they'd mesh well, though it might work. How about Vhaeraun and Mask? (I know they're both dead, but whatever). I've actually toyed with the idea of Fenmarel and Shevarash being a couple XD

Well, if we're going to throw same-sex relationships into the mix, can I vote for Hanali Selanil and Sune Firehair? My reasoning should be obvious.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:48:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha that would be interesting considering 4e made them aspects of each other.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:58:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha that would be interesting considering 4e made them aspects of each other.

I was obviously referring to pre-4E.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  20:03:50  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That works, considering I like to think of them as separate myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000