Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 gods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  01:36:55  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Id like to know who all the gods are and what they rule. If anyone has the time to post them. Or just drop a link in the post to a site that has good info about them.

thanks in advance

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  01:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too many to list here. Try this link:

http://prespos.crosswinds.net/FaA.htm

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  05:54:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an add-on to the 'Faiths and Avatars' site, you will find both this site, and
this site very useful in your FR deity research.

Enjoy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  17:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric
(Greater God)
Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, the Black Sun
Symbol: White jawless skull on black or purple sunburst
Alignment: CE
Portfolio: Murder, lies, intrigue, deception, illusion
Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Illusion, Trickery
Favored Weapon: "Razor's Edge" (longsword)

Cyric (seer-ick) is a megalomaniacal deity with an immense following. One of the three greater powers of evil on Faerūn, he is petty and self-centered, and enjoys misleading individuals of all inclinations so that they perform acts that ruin their lives or so that they make fatal mistakes. He drinks the tears of disillusioned dreamers and broken-hearted lovers. He is not above an alliance with another deity as long as he thinks he can betray the other divine power and come out ahead.

Cyric's church is pledged to spread strife and work murder everywhere in order to make folk believe in and fear the Dark Sun. It supports cruel rulers and indulges in intrigue in such a way that the world won't be overrun by wars (and thus fall under the sway of Tempus). His church is often beset by internal feuds and backstabbing, but this conflict has decreased in recent years as Cyric has gained better control of himself and has consolidated the churches of the deities whose portfolios he took over.

Cyric's clerics pray for spells at night, after moonrise. Cyric's church has few holy days and does not even celebrate the date of his ascension to divinity. Whenever a temple acquires something (or someone) important enough to sacrifice to Cyric, its high priest declares a Day of the Dark Sun to signify the holiness of the event. Eclipses are considered holy. They are accompanied by feasts, fervent prayers, and bloody sacrifices. Cyric's clerics often multiclass as rogues or assassins.

History/Relationships: Cyric arose as a deity during the Time of Troubles. He was a mortal who assumed the portfolios of two deities slain in the Godswar and who managed to slay two other deities and then assume their portfolios. He hates most of the other deities of Toril, but he particularly loathes Mystra (whom he knew as a mortal and whose portfolio he desires), Kelemvor, and Bane (who now holds portions of the portfolio once claimed by him).

Dogma: Death to all who oppose Cyric. Bow down before his supreme power, and yield to him the blood of those that do not believe in his supremacy. Fear and obey those in authority, but slay those that are weak, of good persuasion, or false prophets. Bring death to those that oppose Cyric's church or make peace, order, and laws, for only Cyric is the true authority. Break not into open rebellion, for marching armies move the false deities to action. Fell one foe at a time and keep all folk afraid, uneasy, and in constant strife. Any method or means is justified if it brings about the desired end.

This is the most importen
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy isn't that a Cyric answer?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  02:51:29  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said GODS not your monotheistic view of the realms Cyric
(Bhaal was definatly a better Lord of Murder)

thanks to all other
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  07:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal was sweet

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  07:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet? Sweet? He'd have killed for saying that. And then fed your soul to Kezef for good measure!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes sweet is parhaps not the right the right, mad with blodlust is more right but he was alright. And Cyric is one of the gods is he not and now you know about him.
And Cyric is always better.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  16:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, Cyric..... A raving lunatic in god-like form.....blah. If you really wish to be powerful, Convert to Vhaeraun.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Sweet? Sweet? He'd have killed for saying that. And then fed your soul to Kezef for good measure!

if he could kill me HA HA HA HA HA!!! yeah id be a goner

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:27:35  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beware on how deep you delve into Deities... Or you will find that whatever hope you may have for them is to be cast aside and thrown to the winds. The more you seek them, the more you will learn to loathe them.

Most of the more intresting ones are already dead anyways....

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not right Cyric lives and he is the most powerful and colest god.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  20:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could be demi-divine like myself and stay out of divine politics; besides who really wants to be caught in amongst the machinations of a group of infantile egomanics, with overly inflated senses of self-worth. Besides, their bloody churches hog the best real-estate. Bloody priests.

As far as dead gods, or should I say once dead gods, go I love Bane. He really is the ultimate Lawful Evil deity, the truest tyrant. I think Cyric with the portfolio of tyranny is weird, seeing as Cyric tends to be incredibly choatic. Not that he doesn't make a good Prince of Lies, but as a tyrant he was, shall we say, really, really, really, really inept.

Another good one is Orcus, the Demon Lord who became a god, died, became an undead god, and then died again only to become a demon lord again. How cool is that? I would love to see him become a deity again, since he is one of the those characters with a really good history.

Deities to avoid: Mystra, Lolth (or Lloth), Eilistraee, Shar, anything Gnomish, Vhaeraun, and Tiamat. Why? Because I said so, that's why.

Seriously, though Faerun has a few too many gods, and a bunch of cool ones who do not get enough development (like the elemental gods, such possibilities...). Its a really mess these days. I think we need a new godswar and weed out all the useless demigods and lesser deities, I promise no one will miss them.

Sure. No one, except for their raging hordes of rabid and angry followers.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  20:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you avoid Vhaeraun, Edain, he is my patron.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  20:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because he's Vhaeraun. Not good enough? Well, how about the fact he is the ultimate divine traitor. How many other gods do you know who stabbed both of their parents in the back? Of course, most other deities do not have parents, but it’s still pertinent. Also, he is more deluded than most other deities, which is a dangerous quality for a god. I mean, his primary agenda includes conquoring both the surface and the underdark, establishing elves as the ultimate rulers of all, with the Drow on top, and fostering gender equality through out Drow society, and that's just in the short-term.

Plus, he still has not paid to have my rugs cleaned.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  21:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, the fact that he's the master of betrayal just adds intrigue, and the conquering will happen, Edain!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  22:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
y avoid Mystra Edain? n dont say cuz u said so!

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  23:31:59  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! A REAL god of intrigue is Mask. Everyone should follow the Lord of Shadows

MASK - Master of All Thieves, Lord of Shadows
(Lesser Deity)
Symbol: Black velvet mask tinged with red
Home Plane: Plane of Shadow
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Portfolio: Shadows, thievery, thieves
Worshipers: Assassins, beggars, criminals, rogues, shades, shadowdancers
Favored Weapon: "Stealthwhisper" (Longsword)

Mask (mask) is a self-possessed, confident, and fond of intricate plots, though his schemes are always getting him in trouble. The Lord of Shadows is is wary, but cool, never losing his temper, and he always seems to be holding back a mocking comment. Mask's ever-changing appeareance serves him well: His true form is unknown.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  00:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye Mask is cool

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  00:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're forgetting, Mask lost intrigue at the hand of Cyric......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  00:50:30  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's up with these portfolios anyway? If I was to happen by one I'd become a God, or what?

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've never played an actual game of AD&D, have you? A portfolio is a domain that a god/goddess has dominion over. Such as, lets say, Vhaeraun. His portfolio's are Thievery, Drow males, territory, evil activity on the surface world, and furthering of Shadow Weave magic use, along with Shar. These are all things he controls, or has dominion over.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:03:44  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several times loudly proclaimed that I have *never* played an actualy game of AD&D.

(The answer to your question is yes )

How on earth (or Faerūn if you preferr ) do you lose a portfolio!? Or aquire one, for that matter.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can acquire a portfolio by killing another deity with a portfolio that you desire, or if a deity is weakened, a portfolio can sometimes be snatched. Ex: What happened to Mask after he read the Cyrinishad. He was weakened, and Cyric stole the portfolio of intrigue from him.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:12:53  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are these portfolios, then? It's obvious that they have to be some kind of object, so what are they?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its just like their worshipers and stuff.....

Lolth is drow goddess, one of her portfolios is drow females, hence she has female followers.

Vhaeraun is a drow god, one of his portfolios is drow males, hence he has male followers.

Do you get it?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:39:42  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nooooo... my skull is too tough to get it through (Not even the eye, mind you, so don't try pressing it through there)

I get as much as that their power is in their followers. What I don't understand is how It could be stolen...

[Sarcasm] What? Do they steal the followers, one by one, and force them to worship them, or something? [/sarcasm]

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, its just that when a certain deity becomes weak, some of his powers are "up for grabs" so to speak, for lack of a better phrase.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:35:52  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten One, portfolios and followers are what makes up a god's power. Followers can be "stolen" by convertion or just killed outright. Lol. Portfolios can be taken, like what Shadowlord said about Mask. When a god is weakened, his powers can be stolen by other gods through brute force or magic.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  03:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten One, portfolios rnt physical objects. thats the name of the domain the god rules. Mystra, the goddess of magic: her portfolio would be magic. get it?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000