Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you could write an FR novel...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  07:35:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would it be about? If could pick any setting, race, event (whether or not it actually happened, or if it's something you'd like to see happen, even if it doesn't sound like WotC is going to do it), what would it be? You can be general or go into specifics.

Here are some of mine:

A story set in post-Spellplague Myth Drannor--at least as a starting point for the characters, like Richard Baker did for Blades of the Moonsea
Upon the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, what their followers do and how they "get things up and running again".
A story about an assimar--I like tieflings, but I'd like to see their "opposite'.
Shevarash's mortal years and his apotheosis, or about his followers in the post-Spellplague era. They fascinate me.
Something with Evermeet--now that it has retreated again, what are its people up to? I think it'd be interesting to explore how, after some exposure to other cultures, how they fare in their isolation.
The inner workings of Bregon D'earthe.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 24 Dec 2012 21:11:11

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  12:28:06  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shevarash's mortal years and his apotheosis--See Star Wars prequel trilogy

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  13:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many-Arrows invading/expanding into the Sword Coast, conquering Luskan and beginning the process of reconstruction of that cesspool, along with the political fallout of Many-Arrows expansionistic tendencies.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  13:24:09  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Necromancer/Cleric of Kiaransalee on a quest to make a drow city and it's population all undead.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rescuing Waukeen from Graz'zt in the Abyss.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  15:58:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see/do two 'historic' series - one about the Mulan people (from the fall of Imaskar to the death of Unther), and also one about the Dwarves 'finding their roots' (I've discussed that in another thread - FR Dwarves don't get enough love).

However, I don't think thats the type of novel that sells well (other then to fanbois like us), so if I had to take a 'first choice' (before I had the credentials to write stuff I wanted, rather then what fans wanted), it would be a novel about a new character set just after the Spellplague hit. I'm talking about maybe a year after - that's the most fascinating point in recent FR history, IMHO. I'd probably dust-off Dûd Onahorz (and rename him LOL), the guy from the 1e box cover, and do a story on him.

I had some ideas for a Lone-ranger like character, but Johnny Depp keeps stealing my ideas (he really needs to stop stalking me. )

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2012 23:55:16
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  20:46:05  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sarkun Jakal was once a member of the Cult of the Dragon. After the Year of Rogue Dragons and the defeat of Sammaster, Sarkun sold some of the Cult’s secrets to a Harper agent in exchange for protection. The Harper agent arranged for Sarkun to take a ship across the sea to Kozakura, on Kara-Tur. Sarkun became embroiled in the Imperial politics of Kozakura and received martial arts training. Years passed before Sarkun returned to Faerun, seeking the Monastery of the Yellow Flower. He wished to compare the martial arts of the Kara-Tur folk to that of the Yellow Flower monks. During his training with the monks, Sarkun began researching the history of the Bloodstone Lands.

He learned of the Cult’s activities in the Bloodstone Lands and of the locations of various chromatic dragons within the Cold Lands of the north. After years of training, Sarkun embarked on an expedition deep into Vaasa in order to determine how its inhabitants felt about the Cult of the Dragon. Sarkun gathers followers from among the shaman and barbarians of the region. In order to scout out the more civilized lands, Sarkun disguises his company as a travelling circus.

Sarkun’s goal becomes one of apotheosis: he admires the chromatic dragons and despises their willingness to become undead monstrosities (dracoliches). Therefore Sarkun and his company complete Phase 1 (scouting as the circus) and enter Phase 2. In Phase 2, Sarkun and his company separate and begin instigating conflict within and between nations and cities whose prominent faith is one of those opposed by Tiamat.

Sarkun hopes to give the chromatic dragons a stronger grip on Faerun than the Cult of the Dragon ever could. This is his apotheosis: proving himself as the worthy leader of his variation on the Cult of the Dragon.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 23 Dec 2012 20:46:58
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  20:52:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would delve into the Land of Fate and do an assassin adventure set in Golden Huzuz.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  23:16:42  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an idea for a Psionic human character.

As a background, his parents were adventurers before and during the Time of Troubles. As the gods came to Faerun, a teleport spell cast by his mage mother went awry because of the weave issues; so the parent's party ended up in the Underdark instead of their intended location.
In the Underdark, their party was taken prisoner by Mind Flayers...they decided to alter/experiment on the pregnant mage mother to make her unborn child psionic, but the parents escaped and retired from adventuring and became merchants in Sembia after their ordeal.

20 years later their now grown son's latent psionic powers start to emerge and he learns to use the powers/hide them from authority/people who would try to use him....but the big bads would be the mind flayers or drow allies who come back to reclaim their "experiment" now that he is of age. I'd have it set in the Dragonreach/Dales/Sembia...and our protagonist would have a gang of friends from various races and classes who are from his teenage "gang" (akin to how the Knights started in Espar).

I just feel Psions are not well represented in Realms novels!

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  00:01:53  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^I'd read it.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  14:00:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to write a book on avariels. They are a fascinating sub species of eleves and yet are hardly represented at all in any realms literature. Except for that bladesinger mister i am ashamed of being an elf in The Year of rogue Dragons trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  21:04:41  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Shevarash's mortal years and his apotheosis--See Star Wars prequel trilogy

In Star Wars prequel, really? Was the Shevarashan story a little short story at the end of the novels? I don't really read SW (I've seen the movies though), so I had no idea.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  21:22:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he was making an analogy to Anikin's rise and fall.... The two stories dO share some themes in common. Both center on a character who looses a loved one and becomes obsessed with vengeance against the one(s) responsible- and ends up going to extremes because of it.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  21:24:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true, I can see that. But still, it would be fun to read/write, IMO! And Vadar didn't become a god XD though some treated him like one.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  23:56:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but he DID become "more powerful" once he joined the Dark Side. Not to mention the fact that he was basically the ONLY one left with any power (save Kenobi and Yoda who both went into hiding) besides the Emporer himself (Corellon? Or would he be Lolth?)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  03:35:49  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheverash becoming corrupted and evil - the sequel.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  04:15:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon Wars.

'Nuff said!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  05:56:36  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something in Luiren and focusing on halfling way of life in the Realms, a halruuan novel or something for my gnomies in Blingdenstone.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  13:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No, but he DID become "more powerful" once he joined the Dark Side. Not to mention the fact that he was basically the ONLY one left with any power (save Kenobi and Yoda who both went into hiding) besides the Emporer himself (Corellon? Or would he be Lolth?)

He became more powerful for all of twenty minutes before he went up like a candle. After being restored with cybernetics, Vader actually became weaker.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  14:22:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

He became more powerful for all of twenty minutes before he went up like a candle. After being restored with cybernetics, Vader actually became weaker.

Pretty much.

Immediately after the duel on Mustafar, Anakin/Vader's shattered physical form was left substantially weaker when it came to his command of the Force. He was, after all, forced to devote a great deal of his Dark Side power toward just keeping his body alive. It's the main reason why Palpatine was always seeking a new apprentice [like Luke in Episode VI] to replace Vader, and why Vader was so determined to gain an apprentice of his own [also, Luke in Episode V] because he could no longer defeat his master alone.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  14:30:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about this for a long while, often deleting the whole post and starting over. To me, I'd love to combine two of the things that I REALLY enjoy: D&D and Fighter Pilot movies. Now stay with me as I know the idea is a bit....odd but here's the idea anyways....

Basically it starts with Ivan Brightmantle, a human who grew into heroics and rose through the ranks of the Purple Dragons. The story takes place approx 10 years after the invasion of the Dalelands, of which he played a pretty prominent role (for details about this event, read the Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land adventure). He helped drive back the Zhentarim forces by forming a elite unit of soldiers called the Pegasus Knights of Cormyr. Sanctioned by the crown, his orders were to provide aerial surveillance of enemy movmements as well as engage aerial threats. This means Dragons, Sky Mages of the Zhentarim, Shadovar and their flying mounts, Wyverns, etc.

The time frame is critical because it's just about the same time as the Spellplague hits. On a misty morning his company of Pegasus Knights go on routine patrol around the northern portion of the Stormhorns when he sees a moderate sized column of Zhent forces on their way to Darkhold. Not one to let enemy troops go through Cormyr, he attacks. His company is met with suprisingly strong resistance in the form of high-ranking Sky Mages. As the aerial battle contineus, something.....bad happens. Magic starts to fail and go haywire.

In the aeriel combat scenes, I'd like to illustrate the perspective of that Dog-Fighting element such as maneuvering, using clouds and terrain as cover, and incorporate magic into it as well.

Anyways, as magic swirls and becomes unstable something strange happens....a portal (of a sort) opens up in the sky. Unable to pull away from the vortex our heroes and villians are pulled in. Chaos and havoc occur in the Nether and almost as quick as it started, the effect stops, plopping out the characters into almost the same exact area they were in. As both groups scramble to collect themselves, the Zhents pull out and make for a hasty retreat. The heroes, in an attempt to figure out what happens, let them go (for now) in an effort to see what's transpired. What they find out is.....

....it's now 1479 DR and the land has changed drastically.

So from here it's a bit more political intrigue and the sense of the unimaginable for our heroes, to be jettesoned almost a century into the future. They have to re-establish their group as a legitmate unit in Cormyr plus figure out where the Zhent contingent has gone. Of course, trouble always ensues and the tale continues as they figure out a way back home, if that is even what some of them want (and not all do want to go back "Home"). Do they take the information they've gained from the Future to alter the history or do they continue to forge ahead in this strange and new future?

Well, that's what I'd like to see (or write) as a novel. A sort of Top Gun meets the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  20:41:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting take on Vader. I always felt as if he was actually stronger in the Force due to the years of Palpatine's teachings- and his physical weakness was largely mitigated by the numerous implants and apparatus keeping him alive. (I never saw the Force as having any part in that.) In fact, his suit actually made him physically stronger than he had been- as shown by the scene of him physically picking up the Rebel soldier off the floor with one hand (though it was his replacement hand, of course). Though I HAD wondered why Palpatine never taught him the Force-lightning. I chalk that up to a lack of trust more than anything. I would not expect a Sith Lord to give an apprentice whose loyalty he doubted a weapon to use against him!

As for why the wrinkle-cream poster-boy wanted a new apprentice, I just sort of assumed that he was aware of Vader's lack of loyalty and wanted someone he could more easily control- with the unspoken extention that he intended to eventually kill Anakin. After all, he had other apprentices before Anakin, and he others during Anakin's time that he kept secret from him! (ie- Mara Jade, and perhaps others I have forgotten about.) He already had plenty of contingencies for extending his own life indefinitely (the clone cylinders that spawned Joru'us, among other things), and his "Hand" (Mara Jade- see above) to take out emerging Force-users to eliminate any competition that might spring up elsewhere.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  21:04:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I already did, actually. ;) This comes as no surprise to those who know me: 'tis about the Tanthuls. p Just a novella focusing on their internal conflicts, which have some devastating effects to Faerun.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  22:18:47  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Manshoon Wars.

'Nuff said!

Yes. PLEASE. I'd love to hear about the clone that the Simbul took in and the clone that took over the Night Masks in Westgate.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  00:08:18  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun thread idea. I’m sure many fans of the setting had a dream at some point of ‘wouldn’t it be cool to be a Realms author one day’. I had a bunch of these ideas at the height of the the 3E era. Probably would have fan-fic’ed at least one of these if the 4E transition hadn’t shifted the impetus so much towards the new era, but even now I could probably dig up some of these ideas to adapt to the new setting vogue, if only I had more free time.

Some of my favorite ‘What if I could write…’ concepts are:

- “The Bastards” series modeled on The Rogues/Priests/Fighters/Wizards series, four novels themed around individual Bastards of Azoun. To be more censor friendly it could be called “The Wayward Sons” or “The Wayward Scions” because some of the ‘bastards’ should be daughters. Each of the four would fill one of the major class archetypes.

The character that sparked this concept was a cavalier, a vibrant and accomplished warrior very much in the image of his sire, but with a strong streak of brashness and a touch of bitterness, due to the exile of his mother and himself to prevent scandal when his secret heritage was on the verge of being uncovered.

Despite his inherent goodness, he has floundered into mundane mercenary work, aiming his skills at jobs without a true cause. He finds himself in the Guthmere Forest/Dragon Coast region and gets entangled in the machinations of a devil-influenced local lord who is clandestinely asserting his influence amongst the constituents of the Realm of the Purple Staff. The lord wishes to subvert this fledging realm and assume leadership as it’s king. The cavalier doesn’t know this at first of course and believes he has found the cause he’s searched for and perhaps an even a positive father figure.

Amidst the intrigue are friends and foes within the local populations and some are more than they appear to be. Some are on to the diabolical forces at play at some level, but still unsure, others are pretenders, and yet others have their own goals. Meanwhile, a war wizard assigned to keep tabs on the region takes an interest at the emergence of the cavalier into a role of prominence, but who believes in eliminating any semi-royal scion who rises in a rival state, especially one with alleged hellish taint requires no hesitation. However, this war wizard may have his own plans at play being so far away from direct supervision. Details need to be worked out of course as I haven’t given this more thought than the initial set up.

- “The Raumathari Resurgency” I played with this story idea after the Return of Shade plot, but unrelated to it, and before the return of Imaskar. By now, this returned ancient empire idea is played out, but I felt this would still have been a better choice for exploitation than High Imaskar. This would be a story that develops over a series.

The tale begins with a durthan witch’s experiments with distilling a powerful but incoherent spirit bound to the Endless Wastes by transferring the mad consciousness into a succession of poor abducted victims who all perish horribly in the rituals. Finally one host survives and proves worthwhile enough to please his mistress with lore and information from a bygone age. For years, he strings the witch along, learning and gaining his strength until he finally tosses her aside and reveals himself to be the last prince of Raumathar reborn. He uses the resources and magic he seized from the durthans to begin to cobble together the scattered remnants of Raumathar, descendants peoples (Raumvira, a ‘tuigan’ tribe, and an order of knights from Impiltur), groups who swore secret oaths down the generations (even a group of ogre-magi), into some semblance of an army with which he subjugates the lands between Rashemen and Yaimunhar (and coming into conflict with those kingdoms as well). Thay takes an interest as well, as does the Church of Kossuth. It’s a great mess of trouble.

That is not the end of all worries, for the prince died in fierce battle with a band of powerful demons. They all perish in mutual destruction, their power and blood melded to form the haunting entity the durthan tried to bind. The prince’s resurrection opened the way for these mighty demons to reform and they now roam the Demonlands once again. The last Battle-wizard may claim his motley principality of Raumathar to be an empire reborn, but the rise ancient Narfell and its horrors is far closer to fruition.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  01:45:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting take on Vader. I always felt as if he was actually stronger in the Force due to the years of Palpatine's teachings- and his physical weakness was largely mitigated by the numerous implants and apparatus keeping him alive.
Palpatine only taught Vader enough of the Dark Side teachings to keep him leashed to his master. He rarely elaborated on any of the higher disciplines of the ancient Sith powers.

Vader's implants negated some of his ability to draw on the Force. [For one, he could no longer use the devastating ability of Force Lightning, because such power would likely fry his cybernetic components {which is partly what we saw occur in Episode VI}.] That's confirmed by George Lucas, and by numerous in-canon sources as well.
quote:
(I never saw the Force as having any part in that.)
It's been canonically stated that Vader devotes a portion of his Force abilities toward keeping his flesh and organs from decaying further.

I've always thought this is something similar to Marvel's Cable character -- in that he would constantly have to use a great deal of his own telepathic and telekinetic abilities to keep the techno-organic virus ravaging his body, in check. So while Vader may still have an awesome command of the Force, some of the command is focused squarely on his keeping his body alive.
quote:
In fact, his suit actually made him physically stronger than he had been- as shown by the scene of him physically picking up the Rebel soldier off the floor with one hand (though it was his replacement hand, of course).
Physically stronger, yes. But it also made combat very difficult. He spent years redeveloping lightsaber combat forms because the armour was both cumbersome, and awkward. This is especially evident in the novel Dark Lord, which takes place several weeks [and months] after Episode III. Vader is almost bested by an average Jedi Knight in lightsaber combat... simply because he could no longer move fast enough. His shoulder guards, particularly, restricted his movements when attempting certain parries and such.
quote:
Though I HAD wondered why Palpatine never taught him the Force-lightning. I chalk that up to a lack of trust more than anything. I would not expect a Sith Lord to give an apprentice whose loyalty he doubted a weapon to use against him!
Well, the trust factor was indeed a big issue. Of all the canonical apprentices Palpatine had, he rarely spent any time teaching them anything more than what they needed to know of the Dark Side to support him.

As for the Force Lightning, well, I addressed that above.
quote:
As for why the wrinkle-cream poster-boy wanted a new apprentice, I just sort of assumed that he was aware of Vader's lack of loyalty and wanted someone he could more easily control- with the unspoken extention that he intended to eventually kill Anakin. After all, he had other apprentices before Anakin, and he others during Anakin's time that he kept secret from him! (ie- Mara Jade, and perhaps others I have forgotten about.) He already had plenty of contingencies for extending his own life indefinitely (the clone cylinders that spawned Joru'us, among other things), and his "Hand" (Mara Jade- see above) to take out emerging Force-users to eliminate any competition that might spring up elsewhere.

This is always the problem when comparing what we know of both the film and EU sections of the SW material. According to Lucas, and in terms of the films, the Sith threat ended the moment Anakin reclaimed himself and killed the Emperor. There was no way Palpatine could live again. So no clones, no new Sith-centric life-extending techniques. So while he may not have feared Vader's power directly, I've always suspected that he might have feared Vader's overall loyalty among the Imperial forces. He's a soldier, after all, while Palpatine's a politician. Vader may not have been strong enough to take on his master directly, but with the backing of the Imperials, I'm sure he would've presented a greater threat -- especially if Palpatine didn't have another apprentice to call upon for protection. Which is why he was so determined to turn Luke over to the Dark Side -- to take his father's place at Palpatine's side.

But as we know, from EU sources like Dark Empire, Palpatine had blank clones which he could transfer his soul/consciousness into, and so live again. Though, we also know that those clones weren't [and likely could never be] as strong or as experienced in the Force as the original Palpatine. [BTW, there's a nifty EU tale set briefly before the Prequels which suggests the Palpatine in the films, was actually already one of the first cloned bodies he used to maintain his own longevity after his actual body had been ravaged by the Dark Side. It involves a particularly gruesome Sith ritual designed specifically for rejuvenating a Sith Lord's body.] That's another element to consider when wondering about what would become of the eventual conflict between Palpatine and Vader.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  02:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of a series based on around the Manshoon Wars and I also like Seravin's idea because I want to see more psionic characters in the Realms. I have a few of my own ideas along that front as well.

One is a series focusing on the rise and fall of Jhaamdath. I don't have any particular characters in mind. Maybe a multiple viewpoint type of book throughout the generations of Jhaamdath. Maybe a cleric of Auppenser, someone in the ruling psionic class, and a few commoners.

The alternative to this idea is a story set in the modern era featuring a character chosen by Auppenser to restart his church. To achieve this end he or she must explore ancient Jhaamdathan ruins for relics and writings about the nature of psionics and gather those with psionic power to restart the church. Along the way a great deal about ancient Jhaamdath could be revealed. It wouldn't end with a new empire arising and the church would be small. It would be the start of an obviously long journey.

The other idea I had after looking through some RPG material. It would center on a pair who are likely in love. One is a fleshwarper trying to learn all he can about the Illithid and the other is a Psion with Illithid Heritage. The two would meet in some Illithid ruins as they each search for information. Along the way they start comparing notes, getting to know each other, and finally falling for each other, while eventually having to deal with live Illithid who turn out to be more than they bargained for.

On the non psionic front, another thread on here had some interesting ideas about either reclaiming part of Thay or establishing a new Thay with new Zulkirs who take a wider view of magic (allowing Warlocks, Sorcerors, and maybe Psions with their own Zulkirs). Either a story centering around that or the side idea that was discussed involving the Church of Kossuth. On the one side is the clergy of Kossuth and on the other is a group of warlocks who have pacts with Kossuth or his servitor Fire Elementals and among them are a scattering of Fire Genasi who have answered the call of Kossuth. There could even be whatever the 4th edition equivalent of the Bonded Summoner (for Fire) and a few Evokers faithful to Kossuth (or as Mystic Theurges) in the mix as well. There would either be a holy war between them as both sides believe they represent the true faith, or both sides would eventually combine to reinstate the faith in Thay or to institute it in the new territory and to establish themselves as an equal to the magic wielders with the head of the church (possibly some suped up Fire Genasi with an abundance of classes and prestige classes, to use 3rd edition terms, heaped on him or her to illustrate if there is something to know about fire he or she probably knows it as Kossuth's Chosen) in a position on par with the Zulkirs (or as an actual Zulkir).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  03:22:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would write a small story...it would be about a commoner turned adventurer/vigilante who takes revenge against those who harmed his family.

Yeah, that is an old one...but "High Adventure" can be had without so much grand design ya know! Stars don't need to be in alignment, and dragons don't have to be slain for a good adventure to be written.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  04:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's been canonically stated that Vader devotes a portion of his Force abilities toward keeping his flesh and organs from decaying further.

I've always thought this is something similar to Marvel's Cable character -- in that he would constantly have to use a great deal of his own telepathic and telekinetic abilities to keep the techno-organic virus ravaging his body, in check. So while Vader may still have an awesome command of the Force, some of the command is focused squarely on his keeping his body alive.

Star Wars, and for that matter, a lot of older science fiction, has a serious bias against the concept of transhumanism. Vader is "more machine than man", Luke's prosthetic hand is symbolic of his potential to lose his humanity and become just like his father. No one willingly undergoes any procedures to improve themselves through cybernetics unless seriously injured first, except for some villains in the EU, in which case it's used to dehumanize them.

As a transhumanist myself, I'd like to see the concept explored in a more positive light. So, tying this discussion back to the topic at hand, I'd also like to write/see a novel/series to introduce and explore warforged and self-forged into realmslore.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  05:15:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, tying this discussion back to the topic at hand, I'd also like to write/see a novel/series to introduce and explore warforged and self-forged into realmslore.

Hmmm, wonder if anyone has had any ideas in that direction...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Dec 2012 05:15:28
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  05:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

So, tying this discussion back to the topic at hand, I'd also like to write/see a novel/series to introduce and explore warforged and self-forged into realmslore.

Hmmm, wonder if anyone has had any ideas in that direction...

I was sure I had already posted in your thread complimenting you on your work as I'm a huge fan of warforged, but apparently I have not.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000