Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The sword Charon's Claw and Charon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  15:07:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I haven't followed the Drizzt anthologies (I know, I need to... I've just been reading everything else in the realms... I did read several of the early works). I know Artemis had a blade called Charon's Claw (and I just found some interesting information on its history on the web). What I'm wondering is do they every actually mention Charon in reference to the blade (as in Charon, the boatman of the river styx, was involved)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  16:54:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. The closest connection I can find is the idea that the sword can take people's souls, and KHArôN takes people's souls, as well.

But whereas KHArôn takes souls peacefully across the River Stux to HAIdês, Charon's Claw rather violently takes souls and sends them into oblivion.

As I understand the RW etymology of the name KHArôn, its root meant "fierce or flashing". That could possibly refer to the eyes set in the skull-shaped pommel of the sword, or possibly to the garish appearance of the weapon, as a whole.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 16 Nov 2012 16:58:28
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  21:41:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Salvatore just has a subliminal thing for Greek mythology. Artemis. Charon. When we see Herakles Do'Urden it will be confirmed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  22:29:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't he name a dragon Herakles?

Nevermind... just checked. It was Hephaestus (the Ghost king). LOL

Anyhow, I can see some archmage creating such a device and thinking, "I need a name that makes people think 'taker of souls'... hmmmm". Since Charon (in D&D) is core/Planescape, we can assume he is pretty universally known (to those in the know). Thanks to D&D canon, he is no longer associated with just the Greek Pantheon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  11:55:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah he does seem to like the Greek names. But they generally do sound pretty cool lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000