Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Want to be in a book with Ed?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  17:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ed and I are trying something different for WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME 2. In addition to the authors we've invited personally, we're opening the book up for a limited number of bonus, e-book only stories (we're aiming for five or so).

Submissions open in December, giving you plenty of time to think, write, and check out WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME to see what's already been done.

We know there are a lot of writers here, and a lot of avid fans of fantasy. We would love to see original (not shared-world) stories from you, and give you a chance to be in print with some great Realms authors.

More details here!

Gabrielle Harbowy, scribe and editrix
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com
twitter: @gabrielle_h

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  18:52:24  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come what may, I would like to thank all those responsible for this, as it is a wonderful oppertunaty.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  19:13:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool Beans.

What, precisely, is the 'theme'? I can read the title, but how broad a definition can we assume? Is it an extremely tight focus, or can we explore themes surrounding the title?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Sep 2012 19:14:21
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  19:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What, precisely, is the 'theme'? I can read the title, but how broad a definition can we assume? Is it an extremely tight focus, or can we explore themes surrounding the title?

Hi!

More info can be found at the link in the original post, and a good sense of the flexibility of the theme can be found in the first volume. There has to be a hero. They have to at least move toward "home." But home can be an abstract sort of thing, and the hero doesn't have to be the protagonist or the point-of-view character.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  19:19:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, somehow I missed the link completely. I hope I write better then I read.

Thanks

EDIT: Having read it, I think I just squeak by with my concept.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Sep 2012 19:30:38
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an author who has appeared in both WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME, edited by Gabrielle and Ed, I will say you DEFINITELY want to write for this. Best of luck!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:52:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* That does not read right, all submissions will be paid, it more likely means all placed into book. No discussion about copyright though of any submissions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

*Blink* That does not read right, all submissions will be paid, it more likely means all placed into book. No discussion about copyright though of any submissions.

The anthology takes First Anthology rights of stories that are selected, but copyright remains with the author. Only stories which are selected for the book (e- and/or print) will be paid.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  07:06:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will DEFINITELY be submitting!! This sounds like a golden opportunity. Wish me luck!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  07:52:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Luck to you Alystra, and anyone else who's going to give it a go.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

As an author who has appeared in both WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME, edited by Gabrielle and Ed, I will say you DEFINITELY want to write for this. Best of luck!
Thanks.

I managed to tweak my concept to closer fit the theme, and I think I like it even more now. Sometimes a little adversity is just the 'spice' you need to create something better. Had to re-tool it in other ways as well (so as not to be in the Realms.. but still be in the Realms).

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  11:24:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there, Gabrielle. As we spoke about at Gen Con, I'm happy to contribute :)
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  16:35:40  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a great opportunity for someone wanting to dip their toe into the fiction writing pool to get a start! Thanks for the information.

On a more personal note, sorry I missed you (and your booth) at GenCon Gabrielle. The vendor room utterly overwhelmed my friends and I! Lol.

I do still plan to pick up both books online.

Finally, a question. Has their ever been an attempt at putting together a fan fiction compilation of Realms short stories here at the Keep or anywhere else? Not so much for profit, as for fun?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  16:37:52  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm already working on something for this.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000