Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2012: 25 Years of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all,

The James brothers and I are hosting the second annual (first formal*) Candlekeep Seminar at GenCon this year to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Forgotten Realms.

(*This event is a follow-up to our informal Candlekeep seminar from 2011, which took over the entire bar at the Marriott.)

https://registration.gencon.com/events/32627

If that link doesn't do it for you, it's Seminar Event #32627, Thursday, August 16, 8 p.m. - 10 p.m., Crowne Plaza : Victoria Stn A/B (which is apparently where a lot of seminars are being held this year)

The celebrity guest list is still being compiled, but you can rest assured that there will be people there you will want to see. Stories will be told. Secrets unveiled. There might be a dance. Who knows?

Come celebrate the Realms with us authors, designers, and fans!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:46:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

... There might be a dance...
I'm afraid I will have to ask for pictographic evidence, if this does indeed occur.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  03:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the excitement for Gen Con continues to build! I hope see many of you there.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  04:28:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I had planned to go last year, for the first time ever... stuff happened.

Now I'm really praying I get my Insurance money soon - Erik and the James gang? Sounds like a hoot!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  04:30:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dammit! Why can't they ever come to Pittsburgh?!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  13:32:59  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kinda a big deal. It's of dire import that you make it to this event ;)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  15:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only it was in my power to make it to Gen Con this year. I told my wife that if we never make it any other year, we need to in 5 years for its 50th year.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  16:22:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man that would be awesome. Getting married this summer, so maybe next year.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:05:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might bring a special giveaway that represents something that will be etched in Realmslore history. Just sayin'

:D
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:08:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I signed copy of Elminster's codpiece?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:05:42  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope we get a good turn-out. There may be some special guests.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have announced it earlier, but GenCon just put up the events catalog. This isn't one where you actually have to have a ticket to get in, but you're welcome to order one if you want.

We picked Thursday so as not to interfere with the other events of the weekend (such as the ENnies, the dance, etc).

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Have you met Ed? 'Cuz he'd do it. Codpiece on or off at the time.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:38:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes.
BTW, Erik, I think there's another important event ending at 8 on Thursday that might make some important Realms folks late (because they'll have to get from wherever it is - - and I don't know where that is, yet - - to the Candlekeep Seminar).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:43:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooooooh...

A clandestine meeting.

And its called 'fashionably late'.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2012 19:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  21:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks THO! We'll figure that out as we have full details.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  01:41:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which only leaves the question of why you signed a copy of it and not the original codpiece?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  02:14:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would have announced it earlier, but GenCon just put up the events catalog. This isn't one where you actually have to have a ticket to get in, but you're welcome to order one if you want.

We picked Thursday so as not to interfere with the other events of the weekend (such as the ENnies, the dance, etc).

Cheers

I'm dense...are you saying it is free to be at this meeting for Candlekeep? I don't mind paying, but could you explain for those of us a bit more confused than others?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  03:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Cheers

I'm dense...are you saying it is free to be at this meeting for Candlekeep? I don't mind paying, but could you explain for those of us a bit more confused than others?

GenCon events usually require tickets, which usually cost money. If I am understanding Erik these tickets don't have a cost and aren't actually necessary. I am guessing that by having the event listed then tickets are an automatic part of it even if they aren't actually needed and don't cost anything. The WotC seminars in years past had free tickets.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 11 May 2012 03:42:54
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  04:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the gathering is 100% free (to attendees with a Gen Con badge of course)

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  05:52:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the clearing up!

Go to Top of Page

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  15:45:48  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could get there this year. I've never had the chance to get to GenCon. 45 years and the 25 year Realms event sounds pretty awesome. Maybe year 50 I'll actually be able to.

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2012 :  18:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still unclear if I'll be in attendance this year, due to our new little girl (nearly two weeks old), but I'll make sure to be at this event if I'm able to meander down to Indy.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  12:33:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Still unclear if I'll be in attendance this year, due to our new little girl (nearly two weeks old), but I'll make sure to be at this event if I'm able to meander down to Indy.

Steven

Congratulations, Daddy! If you can make it down, that would be amazing. Ya know, me being a fanboy and all :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  17:30:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of right now, it looks like I am going, but that could change, After last year's debacle (in my life), I will never again use the words "for sure". Nothing is ever set-in-stone.

I haven't made specific arrangements yet - just got my ducks-in-a-row. This means I have no idea where I will be Thursday night (it all depends if I stay with local friends, or get a room - both options have their perks).

Anyhow, hoping to meet a few of you at some point... at least you won't have to worry about me asking you to sign anything.

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  23:53:06  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So for those of us who are stuck in The Real World and can't make it to GenCon, can we put in a special request to have this video taped? At least we can experience the fun-ness vicariously afterwards!

Especially if its as epic as Matt keeps hinting at... :)

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  03:31:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, some sort of clip or clips from this event would be wonderful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  03:53:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Matt can get his dice blessed...

...I'm just sayin'!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  04:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should put Matt on film duty?

I know some events at GenCon get filmed and then put up on YouTube. I'm not sure how that all transpires, and that would seem maybe a little too impersonal for what I have in mind. But we'll see what we can't record on our own!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  14:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, some sort of clip or clips from this event would be wonderful.

-- George Krashos
I concur, if only because I am jealous because I know I will not make it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  20:43:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, I have been contracted to do some film work for Peter Adkinson (CEO of Gen Con) while there. I will have my film gear there and I do not might capturing our little gathering.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  21:08:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll gladly pitch in a six of whatever brew you like most to mend your filming wounds.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000