Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ten Years of the Spider Queen (with trivia)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  16:19:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For any interested, my thoughts on the 10th Anniversary of the War of the Spider Queen Series, along with some trivia. :-)

http://paulskemp.com/blog/ten-years-of-the-spider-queen-now-with-added-trivia/

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  16:36:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...ten years...man.

I didn't have kids then, was in the middle of a divorce...and liked Pharaun, though his death was ok with me. He was a drow after all, and I love to see them die in droves.

Congratulations still today Paul...awesome work you did there!

As a side note...I had to bring Pharaun back in my own Forgotten Realms. He lives again beneath the Moonsea as part of a Drow organization started by one of my players that works in concert with the Zhentarim.

After his death in The Crystal Mountain and his return to the Abyss, his spirit was summoned by a Drow who knew that his abilities in the control of demons was quite vast...and in seeking to learn how to bind demons from Pharaun's spirit, the Drow failed to contain Pharaun who took the fools body.

I couldn't let him go...I liked him too much.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  17:31:59  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many other characters have been killed off by more than one author, I wonder.

Thank you for changing your mind on Gromph, and letting Valas get away.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can never forget WoTC's site logo. "2002 isn't just a palidrome, its the Year of the Drow!"

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:19:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting (and funny) thoughts, Paul. Glad you didn't kill Gromph too. Otherwise, it would have inspired more vitriol.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:31:52  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you have killed off Gromph, or was he a 'hands off' character from RAS?

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who looked better in a dress, Drasek Riven or Hallistra Melarn?

Edited by - Veritas on 01 May 2012 18:35:01
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Riven has killed three men for asking that question, and one just for thinking it. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:41:06  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Could you have killed off Gromph, or was he a 'hands off' character from RAS?

It wasn't a hands-off issue. It was just part of the normal iterative process of refining an outline/book as you go.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  19:15:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Riven has killed three men for asking that question, and one just for thinking it. ;-)

I must be in danger, then.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  20:28:12  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil Athans has posted some interesting thoughts/tidbits about WotSQ, too. Find it here: http://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/the-ten-years-war/
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  22:39:43  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still need to read the series.

This dress discussion reminds me ive been wondering: Dray-sek, or Drah-sek? Aside from the whole don't call him that thing, of course.

Edited by - Yoss on 01 May 2012 22:41:54
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  22:41:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

This dress discussion reminds me ive been wondering: Dray-sek, or Drah-sek?

Dray-sek. :-)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  21:36:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, I forgot that part about Quenthel having died. I didn't personally know that myself either, but its interesting to see that kind of thing in play. I can't believe its been 10 years. That also spawned one of the greatest modules I've ever seen. City of the Spider Queen was amazing, and it really gave Kiaransalee a great spotlight. I'm guessing soon they'll do something with the fact that Lolth split herself like she did, but personally, I'd love to see Kiaransalee come back. Sadly, I don't see it happening, since they used the same method to get rid of her that they did Orcus, and he already came back.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  23:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to tell people that the Quenthel Bob killed off was Quenthel Lou Baenre, and the Quenthel in Dissolution was Quenthel Sue Baenre. Sadly, I don't think anyone ever bought into that explanation.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  00:29:51  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

This dress discussion reminds me ive been wondering: Dray-sek, or Drah-sek?

Dray-sek. :-)

I chronically mispronounce names when I read, i can't tell you how many syllables I've omitted from places and characters. I named one of my swtor characters after him, as I usually tend to borrow names from books, and it wasn't til a friend of mine asked what crafting skills he had that I realized hmm, if it were Draah-sek, he'd probably have two s's and that would just look weird...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  01:43:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm. I pronounced it as Drah-sek, too...

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  11:09:01  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well then, happy birthday WotSQ! If only there were more of your kind to delight readers!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000