Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Tlinaclli under Amn...What?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martivir
Acolyte

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  19:12:14  Show Profile Send Martivir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I hope this is the right forum for it...

I just stubled over the Tlinaclli while reading throug material about Amn. I never heard of them before.
The only article about them I found was inside of 3.5 edition's The Unterdark.

What are they?
Where are they from?
What happens to them until 1479 DR?
Are there any novels about them or related to this three sided conflict between Amnians, Murkul Sothillis of Murannheim/Muranndin and the Tlinaclli?

Thanks forward for the lore gathering within this pages. ^^
Martivir

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  21:28:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-They are given 3e stats in Monsters of Faerūn, called 'Stingers'. They are basically Scorpion-people (just like Formians are Ant-people, Centaurs Horse-people, Wemic Lion-people, and so on) from Maztica. After Amn colonists landed in Maztica and began colonizing it, Tlinaclli- already living in the Underdark underneath Maztica and the Trackless Sea- eventually came to the Underdark beneath Faerūn, under Amn specifically, in the region that used to be the Dwarven kingdom of Xothaerin. They fought with the Salamanders that lived there, and bested them. They now are establishing a hive there, and are further exploring the Underdark and expanding.

-In terms of what they want, who knows. Their society is not very well understood.

-In terms of what happened to them, it was a plot hook that never received much attention, and with the removal of Maztica, probably will never.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  21:33:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tlincallis (Scorpionmen) are from Maztica. After the Maztican trilogy (and the release of that Setting in 2e) the Scorpionmen became aware of Faerūn, and although I forget the specifics, they started tunneling beneath the Trackless Sea to reach it. Other races (Dwarves and Drow) had done this in the past (but coming from the opposite direction).

I believe at the outset of 3e, they got tired of digging and cast some sort of ritual that allowed them to simple teleport the rest of the distance (thats the famous "the designers want something to be somewhere so they just snap their fingers" approach to design).

Anyhow, they were natives of Maztica in 2e, and as of 3e they began living in Faerūn.

I left-out the supposed ritual in my homebrew version, and simply said they unearthed the tunnel that had brought the Drow and Dwarves to Maztica in the first place (it had caved-in, trapping them on the wrong side) - that would explain the sudden 'quick-march' beneath the ocean (because why they didn't just cast the ritual to begin with makes no sense).

I also gave them a Tiamet connection - their 'creator' in Mesopotamian mythology (I try to keep the various cosmologies compatible whenever possible). Basically they were Maztican Drow who choose to follow some local deities instead, who just happen to be aliases for the Draconic pantheon, When Lolth re-discovered her 'wayward drow', she turned them all into Scorpionmen (also gives them a connection to driders, which they are similar to). That happened long in the past, and is also all homebrew (except the RW connection between them and Tiamet, which is kinda cool).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Apr 2012 21:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  22:13:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This suggests the Shining South is a good area to drop the Savage Coast, since it also has history influenced by "manscorpions" and Aztec-style empires.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  00:05:09  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also check out the Scorpionfolk PEACH in the Adventuring section of the Candlekeep forum.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  06:23:09  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tlincalli have an entry in the Monstrous Compendium FR Appendix from 2nd edition.

Monsters of Faerun update them and explain how they got to Amn.

Check chapter 2 in Power of Faerun under the the section on the Sothillisian Empire, it talks about the tlincallis attack on Amn in 1374.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  06:33:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat related are the Scorrow, drow-drider like scorpionfolk from Eberron.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000