Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Finaly - Ed's notes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  06:22:03  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's a pretty big news from D&DXP today. This is an exerp from a seminar on new products in 2012.

''Next we have Elminster's Forgotten Realms in Quarter 4. We basically went to Ed and said hey, why don't you take all your campaign notes, all the information you've been putting together for your FR campaign and lets compile it into a book. Show us the realms as you've developed it in your campaign setting and lets get that to everybody. It's our celebration of the Forgotten Realms and pulling back the curtain to show you what the designer of the campaign setting has done.''

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/317434-seminar-transcript-upcoming-products-2012-a.html

First WotC i'll buy since 2008. I got goosbumps just thinking about it.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  06:26:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconded

5e is off to a great start.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  07:06:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wants a signed copy

and then I want to buy a new keyboard

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 29 Jan 2012 09:13:58
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  07:24:57  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I can't even begin to imagine the awesome we have coming. Woohoo!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  07:39:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait... whaa? Really? Wow, I wonder how different the editing team will allow it to be.

If they give us his real game world without re-fitting it to the published Realms, it'll be like an alternate world / timeline!

Color me very intrigued!

Still, I have to see and flip through it before buying. No more "sight unseen" purchases for me. Too jaded by 4E.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 29 Jan 2012 07:48:59
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  08:08:57  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Wait... whaa? Really? Wow, I wonder how different the editing team will allow it to be.

If they give us his real game world without re-fitting it to the published Realms, it'll be like an alternate world / timeline!

Color me very intrigued!

Still, I have to see and flip through it before buying. No more "sight unseen" purchases for me. Too jaded by 4E.

Exactly. Cautiously optimistic.

Where as other publishers have earned a (mostly) sight unseen status (for me personally), WotC lost it completely.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  08:22:04  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:

Color me very intrigued!

Where as other publishers have earned a (mostly) sight unseen status (for me personally), WotC lost it completely.

Considering what it entails, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - as a completist, I'll be getting it regardless...I just pray that Wizbro doesn't try to 'improve' anything.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  09:18:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

quote:

Color me very intrigued!

Considering what it entails, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - as a completist, I'll be getting it regardless...I just pray that Wizbro doesn't try to 'improve' anything.

I'm hoping they learned their lesson on "improvements" with 4th edition, both in the core and in campaign worlds, not just the Realms; I wasn't crazy about 4E Dark Sun either, in comparison with the original 2E setting. And yes, like Patrakis, I got goosebumps too, and it's the first WotC since 2008 for me as well. But, like Therise and Dark Wizard, I'll be waiting to see what's in the book. I'm really hoping the Cormyr Lineage will be in there, and zero game mechanics. The latter point alone will almost make it a guaranteed sale... and really, if they're serious about giving us Ed's Realms, then they can't really change anything of significance, or it's not Ed's Realms any more. Looking forward to it.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Jan 2012 09:21:02
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  11:46:41  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am cautiously optimistic.
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:51:59  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He better have something about Shoon VII in there.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  15:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's the first time since WoTC cancelled the Star Wars license that I've been even remotely interested in something they published.. so, that's a start at least!

Will be waiting on reviews though.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  15:16:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it'll be a collection of changes, notes, and ideas he's done for this personal Realms games for those who really love his work. I'm on the fence if i'll buy it or not. It'll be an interesting read, as I like seeing how people incorporate other aspects into their own Realms games and a great way of looking at a possible "alternate Realms" version.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  15:42:44  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds promising...
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  15:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Here's a pretty big news from D&DXP today. This is an exerp from a seminar on new products in 2012.

''Next we have Elminster's Forgotten Realms in Quarter 4. We basically went to Ed and said hey, why don't you take all your campaign notes, all the information you've been putting together for your FR campaign and lets compile it into a book. Show us the realms as you've developed it in your campaign setting and lets get that to everybody. It's our celebration of the Forgotten Realms and pulling back the curtain to show you what the designer of the campaign setting has done.''

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/317434-seminar-transcript-upcoming-products-2012-a.html

First WotC i'll buy since 2008. I got goosbumps just thinking about it.

Pat

*jumps up and down*. I hope there's not much editorial interference... But regardless, I shall be waiting for it and for the first reviews!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope WoTC doesn't edit/force any changes to this. If I am not mistaken, Ed still runs 2nd edition, so this would be a must buy if it is truly 1350s-60s with 2nd edition rules and no ToT.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:21:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes, I'm excited, too, but please disabuse yourselves of one notion, right away: as someone who has seen Ed's notes many times, down the years, there is no way you are going to get anything like "all" of them.
They fill ROOMS in his house. They would easily fill more than a thousand different sourcebooks the size of, say, the 3rd edition FRCS.
You'll get whatever Ed can cram into the wordcount he's given, in the few months (or less!) he's given to write the book. That's just reality.
Me? I'm hoping for sequels...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Fellow scribes, I'm excited, too, but please disabuse yourselves of one notion, right away: as someone who has seen Ed's notes many times, down the years, there is no way you are going to get anything like "all" of them.
They fill ROOMS in his house. They would easily fill more than a thousand different sourcebooks the size of, say, the 3rd edition FRCS.
You'll get whatever Ed can cram into the wordcount he's given, in the few months (or less!) he's given to write the book. That's just reality.
love,
THO

Never mind. I know it's not going to be *all* of them. Regardless, I'm still waiting for the part that we're going to get.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:54:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

We want ALL of them!!!

We don't care if it take 200 books - we will buy them all (and get second jobs!)

5e might be rules, but when it comes to FR, we are finally getting 0e! WOOT!

Hey THO, is he going to be 'peeling back the curtain' a bit more, or just leave us with deeper mysteries?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  20:04:03  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty excited too. Another thought that came to me last night as I was going over one of Pathfinders Adventure Paths. Those adventure arcs are usually REALLY good. Wizards could have Ed do a similar format or option. Imagine how much realms lore we could have crammed into a 100 page book, where we see a new one published every month. That's 600 pages of material in a campaign arc and a lot of that space has details on cities, dungeons, bestiaries. Those adventure paths have been described as Pathfinder's flagship product and that it makes them ALOT of money. Imagine what we could see of the Realms if Wotc did the same. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't. One of the first rules of competitive advantage is to shamelessly steal the best business practices you can find and then improve upon them to create a superior sustainable product.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  22:18:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping for sequels and giant web enhancements. And, yes, adventures: it's ridiculously long since we got any of Ed's for the Realms (1993? -- and I must get round to posting about 'Lost Coins and Flying Bones').
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  00:48:15  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Encyclopedia ForgottenRealmsalis ... Let them start with Tome 1 and see how it sells. I bet we'll see tome 2 in no time if the sales are good. And i'm sure they will.

The problem for me though, is that i don't how i'm gonna be able to follow Golarion AND FR if they come back to the realms i like. :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  00:57:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

I was intending on uttering much the same.

I'd imagine this eagerly anticipated resource will likely only be able to offer a mere sampling of Ed's decades-worth of unpublished Realmslore.

Impressive though it may be, I suspect it will be as nothing when compared to what's still left cramming Ed's home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  01:04:18  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be buying it sight unseen (perhaps more than one) and definitely would buy the sequel(s). This is AMAZING.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  01:30:51  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, WotC's upcoming slate of releases has my attention.

- Lords of Waterdeep board game
- 1E AD&D limited edition re-release, partly benefiting the Gygax memorial
- Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms
- 5E
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:04:16  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played a campaign before but I'm excited to see how Ed presents the Realms.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:17:15  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

love,
THO

I was intending on uttering much the same.

I'd imagine this eagerly anticipated resource will likely only be able to offer a mere sampling of Ed's decades-worth of unpublished Realmslore.

Impressive though it may be, I suspect it will be as nothing when compared to what's still left cramming Ed's home.

Depending on how well the initial book sells, I imagine they could bribe encourage Master Greenwood to produce supplemental tomes for the starving throng. I am very much hoping for this outcome, anyways.

I am under no illusion that even if I live another 50 to 60 years, and assuming Ed is a mighty master of the Realms Pen that I believe him to be (or the Realms Writing Program, I'm not choosy), I'll go to my grave without seeing a fraction of what Ed has stashed away in Greenwood Manor. But I'll greedily take what I can get.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  03:10:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must say, WotC's upcoming slate of releases has my attention.

- Lords of Waterdeep board game
- 1E AD&D limited edition re-release, partly benefiting the Gygax memorial
- Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms
- 5E

Don't forget the Undermountain book in april...or was that in august?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  04:34:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
April 17th for Halls of Undermountain. I'm hoping it catches the feeling and depth of the first boxed set. Wish we'd get the old school print outs of the map from the old days. Or better yet a keycode inside the book to download an official map pack pdf from wizards, so DM's could use those maps time and again after marking them up.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  08:07:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

We want ALL of them!!!

We don't care if it take 200 books - we will buy them all (and get second jobs!)

5e might be rules, but when it comes to FR, we are finally getting 0e! WOOT!

Hey THO, is he going to be 'peeling back the curtain' a bit more, or just leave us with deeper mysteries?

I'll second Mark's question, and also jump on the sequels bandwagon... one book a year is simply not enough. So... can we maybe work up to the pace of one book a month over the course of 2013, and go from there?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  17:25:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know....a dvd filled with all his notes might work even better.... complete with art....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  20:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like the reboot/alternate timeline is coming this Q4. Of course it all depends on how Ed writes it, but if it is some summary of the Realms as visioned/run by Ed (without TSR/WoTC influence) then you are essentially interjecting a reboot/alternate timeline regardless of what it is called.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000