Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 About the Lord of the Ninth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  18:55:37  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It appears the the "Question About the Lord of the Ninth" scroll was prematurely sealed.

I wanted to add this, direct at Charles:

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

My version of Asmodeus did this. Bear with me it's completely non-canon.

* Gargauth was actually a catspaw of Asmodeus who existed for the purpose of building a cult of devil-worshipers and a mortal network for Asmodeus all the while believing he was working on his own.

* Shar and Asmodeus made an alliance pre-Cyric to have him kill Azuth and thus it was Shar's influence which caused Azuth to fall into Nessus when Dweanorheart died.

* Asmodeus then absorbed the weakened Azuth.

* Asmodeus used the massive energy released from Mystra's death (through Azuth's knowledge and tie to Mystra) to move the Abyss to the Elemental Plane and thus cause the Primordials to have to deal with the Abyss. He then made an alliance with Graazt and Orcus (two of the more "trustworthy" Demon Princes) plus all of the Great Balor like Errtu to focus their attention elsewhere.

* Asmodeus proceeded then to absorb Gargauth before using his essence to appear to all the various Devil cults of the Realms, proclaiming their devil served him and annointing new priests.

(It was also a way to tweak the noses of the Lords of the Nine too)

* Shar and Asmodeus have since been aligned ever since, Asmodeus and she sharing the goals of essentially corrupting and destroying the universe.

Why would Asmodeus support this? Well, he's a Devil. He's PURE EVIL.

In my campaign, the *exact* series of events you described occurred! Neat!

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  20:03:05  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could have send a PM...

Edited by - Imp on 08 Jan 2012 20:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  20:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, this could be an interesting second thread.

What events lead to Asmodeus becoming a Greater God and how/why in your games?

Or is he another/lesser type of deity?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  23:01:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

It appears the the "Question About the Lord of the Ninth" scroll was prematurely sealed.

No. It was going off-topic and the original poster asked that it be sealed. So it was not prematurely sealed.

And if this topic goes astray as the previous one did, it will also be sealed.

This could have been handled via PM. Usually when someone opens a new thread based off of a closed on, it's because they intended to continue arguing or being antagonistic. I certainly hope that wasn't your intent...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  05:02:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Actually, this could be an interesting second thread.

What events lead to Asmodeus becoming a Greater God and how/why in your games?

Or is he another/lesser type of deity?

Tyr went into the Nine hells with a blazing sword, attitude, and vengeance. He made it pretty far, cleaving devils and demons alike, putting the fear of law, order, and justice into their very hearts. Yet his savage attack drained his power, slowly draining him of his essence and that's when Asmodeus attacked. Not with brute strength, not with the assassin's skilled blade, and not through powerful, destructive magic. No, he attacked him at his very core, showed him how people on Faerūn perceived him now for what he had done (killing Helm and all that). Showed him the people turned away from law and order, to fighting eachother in the streets and going to another lawful, yet horribly evil deity of Bane.

It was too much and Tyr had lost himself in self-loathing. He wanted to push past all the hatred of himself and his actions which fueled his rageful assault on the Nine Hells. But he couldn't face himself and he sunk into dispare. Asmodeus didn't kill him, no that would be too easy, too quick, and rather boring. Instead Asmodeus syphoned Tyr's divine energy while shackling him to his endless torment of self-pity. Tyr's own hell and cage is himself but he's too engrossed with an inward eye to ever see bars.

As Asmodeus drains the still flowing power from the depressed Tyr, he had risen in power, granting those cultist and followers new-found power and glory. He build up his name from something feared to something that's envious to share. He has grown to love his worshippers (not in a caring, gentle way) but in a way that's preverse and vile. He cares nothing for their toils and lives to see his name spread among the misery, lies, deceit, and malevolence. And at a time when the world dispared, where magic was fractures and even the Gods died, Asmodeus rose about the ashes to become something far more formidible.

At least, that's why he's a deity now in my Forgotten Realms campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  06:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr is similarly imprisoned in my Nine Hells.

Asmodeus has him chained to a rock formed from the steel of the same chains that holds his true form (The Serpent that fell and created the Nine Hells) to a rock where he's constantly tormented by his failure to do anything about the Spellplague and abandoning his followers when they needed him most.

Asmodeus bleeds his tears into a ruby chalice and feeds off a little bit of his divine energy every day, strengthening himself.

He also feeds off the VAST afterlife of souls that devils have been filling with mortal souls for millennia, just in anticipation of this day (souls in the afterlife serve as worshipers in my games as well as opposed to "fading" like petitioners in Planescape).

It's a wonderful subversion from the "Norse Heroic Death" Tyr was going for.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 09 Jan 2012 07:00:08
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  07:19:38  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does the Asmodeus want to destroy the universe with Shar? Doesn't he want to corrupt and control it? Is it actually canonical that they are allied? That makes no sense to me. Although I really don't think Shar should have many allies...wanting to destroy everything and all...

Not that I want Asmodeus being a deity in the realms in the first place :S I didn't see a need for another Greater Lawful Evil deity. Tiamat and Bane seem to fill that niche.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  09:51:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, he wants to dominate everything, imo the first target of Asmodeus would be Bane

Tough I don't see why would Asmodeus ever want to become god and bow to the rules of Realmspace. There's a story in Planescape about Asmodeus supporting the Athar and disbelief in ''gods'' to weaken their hold over the Prime.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Why does the Asmodeus want to destroy the universe with Shar? Doesn't he want to corrupt and control it? Is it actually canonical that they are allied? That makes no sense to me. Although I really don't think Shar should have many allies...wanting to destroy everything and all..

I don't think they're allied in canon, or if they are, I don't have a resource for it.

Well, this is just me but I go with the old view that Demons and Devils are actually cosmological "Made of Evil" things. Asmodeus, unlike Bane or Tiamat, exists for the sole purpose of tearing down and corrupting everything into the nastiest most vile form imaginable then moving on.

Basically, at the end of the day, Asmodeus is as selfless and self-sacrificingly devoted to evil as Torm is devoted to Good. If he had a choice between ruling the universe and corrupting it to evil, he'd choose corrupting it. At the end of the day, Shar and he are more inclined to help each other than not.

Which makes him different from Bane or Tiamat. That's just me, of course. I don't like deities having identical personalities and this is all DM fiat. I just figure Shar and Asmodeus being allied makes sense.

(Ditto since the Shadovar seem to include Asmodeus as their gods now according to RA Salvatore's new books)

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 09 Jan 2012 15:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Yea, he wants to dominate everything, imo the first target of Asmodeus would be Bane

Tough I don't see why would Asmodeus ever want to become god and bow to the rules of Realmspace. There's a story in Planescape about Asmodeus supporting the Athar and disbelief in ''gods'' to weaken their hold over the Prime.

Guide to Hell, I think.

I think that was really controversial and got quickly retconned because it said atheists went straight to the Nessus portion of the Nine Hells. It was worse than the Wall of the Faithless, to be honest.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 09 Jan 2012 15:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:36:29  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Basically, at the end of the day, Asmodeus is as selfless and self-sacrificingly devoted to evil as Torm is devoted to Good. If he had a choice between ruling the universe and corrupting it to evil, he'd choose corrupting it. At the end of the day, Shar and he are more inclined to help each other than not.

I always thought that corruption was only a means to his goal, ruling the multiverse. I don't think he corrupts for the sake of corrupting. He just wants to rule and he does it through tyranny and corruption.

Edited by - Imp on 09 Jan 2012 15:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  15:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp
I always thought that corruption was only a means to his goal, ruling the multiverse. I don't think he corrupts for the sake of corrupting. He just wants to rule and he does it through tyranny and corruption.

A perfectly valid interpretation. I knew a friend who always played Asmodeus as similar to Darkseid from DC comics. I just went with "devoted to evil" to differentiate him from Bane who I pretty much already have as Sauron-lite. I also like the idea of playing angels and demons as different from mortals.

Others prefer, "The Baatezu sit at the bar and order drinks" ala Planescape.

:)

Edit:

But yeah, for me, the idea of there being a guy religiously devoted to evil is a nice change and explains why he's still on top in the Nine Hells. No one else can understand THIS is his motivation since it's so far removed from theirs. Plus, I think it's cool to think of him as a subverted angel in that respect.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 09 Jan 2012 15:41:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000