Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Do elves ever get fat?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:45:15  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Somewhat of a strange question, but the subject line says it all, do elves ever get fat? I was reading through a the old city section of Menzoberranzan and on page 41, it mentions a Baelaskros Do'Ilisharr as a grossly fat merchant. And again on page 48, "the fat, affable Vhurn (an old, scarred drow warrior) and also on page 39 "the fat, gluttonous drow male warrior Ologh "Gathergold" Ilyri".

I don't recall ever reading about a fat surface elf, only drow. Drow of the Underdark (2E) mentions drow can vary in shape, features and hair color as much as humans do (page 5). Granted a fat elf is probably not Mirt the Moneylender fat, but still I think it does make things a bit more interesting. On the other hand, you'd think drow would kill fat members of their kind viewing them as some sort of deformed monster, but who knows.

At any rate, what do you all think? Can elves, drow or not, be fat? It makes them a little more interesting, but at the same time seems wrong.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:16:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Along the same lines: Can Halflings ever be skinny?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:28:43  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question for Ed!

Personally I think Realms elves (or D&D surface elves in general) are physiologically capable of putting on extra weight just like any mammals; but their society is based on activity and frowns on over indulgences. I think a city elf that grew up around humans would be most likely to be fat; rather than a wild elf who grew up in the forest or in Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they can.

It's just they live off a diet of twigs and berries.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:45:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Variance from normal clearly happens. A fat elf would still likely weight less then a normal human, however be considered overweight for the race.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  21:20:56  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies all. I'm just trying to picture an elf with a pot belly. Makes sense that it would follow within a racial context. As in no 400 pound elf walking around. I wonder what would be considered grossly overweight. 200 pounds?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  21:46:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Thanks for the replies all. I'm just trying to picture an elf with a pot belly. Makes sense that it would follow within a racial context. As in no 400 pound elf walking around. I wonder what would be considered grossly overweight. 200 pounds?

Well you might consider this as a guideline http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#heightAndWeight

An elf over 100 would likely be considered fat, if not grossly fat. Oh using another edition the weight values likely sightly different.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  02:05:50  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his book Dark Warrior Rising, Ed describes a nifl (the world's term for a drow) raider named Old Bloodblade as being overweight. Whether this is actually porky, or simply by racial standards isn't made clear, but Bloodblade's weight doesn't slow him down one bit (he is, in fact, one of my favorite characters in the book).

You come away from the book with the impression that the nifl, as presented, were how Ed would have wanted to present dark elves in the Realms. At least I did. And I doubt very much that Bloodblade was unique in packing around a few extra pounds.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  02:45:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I just might have to hit up B&N in a week or two and snag myself a copy. I'm always curious as to what the differences are between published Realms work and what is in Ed's home game.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  03:22:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven equivalents for normal weight, overweight, and morbidly obese.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jan 2012 03:24:03
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  10:00:28  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All humanoids have metabolisms. I don't consider elves HAVING to be slender. Artists just don't like drawing fat characters. (nor do consumers like seeing them, I would guess) We just choose to imagine them conforming to our ideals of elven beauty.

I don't think anyone with 18 strength or 16 constitution could really be slender.

EDIT: Wasn't Shakti Hunzrin portly? (In Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham)

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 07 Jan 2012 10:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  13:26:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they're all slender because they're expected to wear chainmail bikinis?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  16:29:14  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The priestess Kaer'lic Sun Wett, who had been living for years on the surface as an evil outcast, was also described as most strikingly "heavyset" in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy". She had clearly taken to a lifestyle of opportunistic hedonism as part of a small rogue party, so she no longer needed to submit to any drow societal weight or fitness standards or to appease a matron mother.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  18:17:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@MrHedgehog Good point, I think Shakti was described as plodding and portly. I know Briza Do'Urden was supposedly huge, barely held any family resemblance with her wide hips and shoulders.

@Beast I guess I didn't remember that, maybe I'll have to read that set again. ;)

On another note. Elven age was another deal that always interested me too. Like Elminster in Myth Drannor we see tons of elves who are thousands of years old, yet by and large we never see those elsewhere or in drow. I'm guessing most drow end up dead instead of living to old age though. Like Mythanthor? Wasn't he 3 or 4000 years old? I liked him, he totally gave off that Yoda vibe. Hmm, wonder if he's ever been stat'd up, I was guessing 40th level.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  13:30:46  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Well you might consider this as a guideline http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#heightAndWeight

An elf over 100 would likely be considered fat, if not grossly fat. Oh using another edition the weight values likely sightly different.

Either the table has been misread, or we've just run into the 'stat-makers have no sense of proportion' problem...

Only things I can recall that ever gave a specific weight for an elven character included the Villains' Lorebook, in which Jander Sunstar is placed at 5'9" and 'only 130 pounds.' If you take into account that he's a vampire, you get a pretty good sense that elves are not actually bundles of twigs weight-wise. The other one was stuff about Uthegental of the drow House Barrison Del'Armgo; he's near to six feet tall, weighs about 200lbs, and is considered one of the largest drow ever seen in Menzoberranzan. He's very heavily muscled, not fat. Jarlaxle harbours a private doubt that he's even a real drow, with that kind of fearsome build.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  20:32:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the table gives a base, then you're supposed to add an extra to that for height and correspondingly add pounds for every extra inch.

So a human male at 4'10" (very short) would be 120lbs but add 12 inches so he's 5'10" and you add 12x2d4 lbs, and he'd be average 12x5lbs heavier, so 180lbs. Which is about right for a fit individual at 5'10"?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  03:36:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I think the table gives a base, then you're supposed to add an extra to that for height and correspondingly add pounds for every extra inch.

So a human male at 4'10" (very short) would be 120lbs but add 12 inches so he's 5'10" and you add 12x2d4 lbs, and he'd be average 12x5lbs heavier, so 180lbs. Which is about right for a fit individual at 5'10"?

*Blink* you mean I need to add 50 pounds to my weight to be normal?

The weight and height guides do not mean an inch tall pounds heavy. Some humans are tall and thin, some are short and fat.

The guidelines are of standard variation, some will be taller and weigh more, and so on.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  03:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fat elves are very common.

It's all the cookies they eat.

Look at Santa.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 09 Jan 2012 03:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  06:04:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fat or thin ... elven metabolism is able to maintain a finely-tuned equilibrium for centuries or even millennia, elves not only live a long time but they retain their youthful vigour through most of it and aging is generally only apparent during a very brief period of elderly senescence. I would argue that less body mass (ie: slender builds) require less energy and consequently helps explain elven preferences for foraging nuts and berries instead of hunting for meat. Smaller frames also help explain the elven "instincts" towards moving with stealth and fighting at long range (with bows and magic), and their physical displays of grace and agility. In comparison, human "instincts" are to circle towards things, fight by pummelling and grappling (with or without any weapons), and display strength more than other physical qualities. Dwarves just stomp right up, pound and chop away, and favour displaying their endurance and constitution.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  07:05:42  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you intake more calories than you burn off through activity or exorcize you get fat. I don't think what race you are matters.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  08:17:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Metabolic efficiency is important though. More energy extracted from the same food, therefore less food needed to maintain same energy levels. Also less energy is "wasted" (through heat) to maintain the same level of exertion. Elves seemingly eat very little compared to humans, yet spend most of their time (and lifetimes) being energetic and lively.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  09:21:04  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question is do they EVER get fat not whether they are less prone to weight gain, though.
I would also assume that the personality characteristics of Elves are as diverse as humans, dwarves, gnomes and all other races so it would not be fair to say they are "energetic and lively" as a matter of their being an elf. That could be a cultural trait, but not a universal trait inherit to Elfishness in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000