Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Eldreth Veluuthra information
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  04:45:44  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am building a campaign that centers on evil & CN aligned characters riding the Moonshae Isle of Moray of the Eldreth Veluuthra. The players will be fighting beside/allied with the People of the Black Blood. One of my old characters, a human Huntmaster of Malar will be an npc in the game.

Besides the fact that they hate humans, I know very little else about them.

What are their favored types of attacks? Do they go for all out battles or are they more of the strike-from-cover type of fighters?

How many members does the Eldreth Veluuthra have & will more respond from elsewhere if one of their cells/groups is attacked?

Will they run if outnumbered/outmatched or will they fight to the last person?

That and any other info anyone has would really be helpful.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  05:12:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I found this, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040519a that provides some information. A secret society by its nature has not well known rules.

Organization likely much like the French resistance of WWII, cell organization, each cell number varied, where only one or two know about how to contact a different cell or leadership. Area of operations likely small for each cell. Becoming a free agent to roam realms, a first step up to leadership status. That elf would know more cells and passwords then the lowest member.

If a cell meeting was discovered by foes there would be about three choices, try to convince intruder that meeting for another reason perhaps condemning the Eldreth Veluuthra in part, killing the interloper if first does not work, the third option would be fleeing at first sign of intrusion and if members know who intruder was kill him later.

In effect there are no rules except local rules except kill humans without being caught and stay to the secret oath binding the group together.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  05:12:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have access to the 2e Cloak & Dagger tome? Because it largely covers most of what you're asking here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  05:18:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the single best source on the Victorious Blade would be Cloak & Dagger, a truly wonderful 2E resource.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  06:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, there was some info on the People of the Black Blood in the 3e resource, The Silver Marches. Consequently, this also reminds me that I need to procure a copy of Cloak & Dagger at some point.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  14:14:35  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're also covered in 3e Lords of Darkness .
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  18:43:07  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Do you have access to the 2e Cloak & Dagger tome? Because it largely covers most of what you're asking here.

No, I don't. But I will search to see if its available anywhere around here.

Nilus Reynard
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  03:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

quote:

You can also check online stores for availability also, like nobleknight.com. I've seen a few reasonably priced second-hand copies pop up on there as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  05:35:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

quote:

You can also check online stores for availability also, like nobleknight.com. I've seen a few reasonably priced second-hand copies pop up on there as well.

And I see it frequently on eBay.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  07:02:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They got a write up in Champions of Ruin IIRC.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  23:09:54  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the Cloak & Dagger book for sale here.

I went to a used bookstore that I frequent & started looking through alot of the misc. gaming stuff that they had on a back shelf. I found the Cloak & Dagger tome on the top shelf /w/ no price listed. I asked the fellow there how much he wanted for it and he said "I still have that thing?! I got that years ago, four bucks and its yours."

Caught a lucky break this time. Thanks for all the info, otherwise I never would have known to even look for it.

Nilus Reynard
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  01:52:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$4 well spent. Great tome of lore.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic