Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Pathfinder novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  16:55:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I just realized that Elaine has out a Pathfinder novel (or maybe that was a future release that I saw). Then I realized there's been several releases, but I don't recognize a lot of these authors (that being said, I'm bad with remembering author names). Anyone been reading these? If I'm a "lore" type person more than an in-depth action person, any recommendations? I know I'll be buying the Elaine novel, just because she's never failed to give a decent story.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  21:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I subscribed to the Pathfinder novel line from the start, and have not regretted it in the least. Dave Gross, who has written two of the novels and co-wrote Elaine's book, is a Realms author as well. Elaine posted this on Facebook on Aug 5th: "Dave Gross's new Pathfinder novel is out. I'm not usually a fan of Oriental settings and martial arts movies, but this book could change that. It is, hands down, the best thing Paizo has published yet. Seriously, you need to read this book. Buy two copies, and give one to someone you really, really like."

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  03:46:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read all of them but The Worldwound Gambit (no particular reason I've not read it yet). Winter Witch and Master of Devils are just as good as any Realms novels you can name, and much better than a lot of them. I'd readily recommend them to anyone.

I've enjoyed the other two novels, as well, but those two are far and away the best shared-world books I've read in a long time, and they fare well in comparison to non-shared settings, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  07:07:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Winter Witch has been my favourite from among a stellar stack of PATHFINDER novels that I've managed to read so far. Prince of Wolves was kind of cool as well, but Elaine's contribution to the "Tales" series, admirably managed to bring together all the stuff I've been looking for in decent fiction of this type for a while now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  09:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree to what was by The Sage and Wooly Rupert. Master of Devils in particular is a wonderful book and, in my opinion, the highlight of the Tales-series. I fully subscribe to Elaine's words as quoted by Hawkins.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  15:22:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Winter Witch has been my favourite from among a stellar stack of PATHFINDER novels that I've managed to read so far. Prince of Wolves was kind of cool as well, but Elaine's contribution to the "Tales" series, admirably managed to bring together all the stuff I've been looking for in decent fiction of this type for a while now.

Winter Witch was my favorite until I read Master of Devils. Now I'm not sure which I'd pick as the better one.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  15:38:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Winter Witch was my favorite until I read Master of Devils. Now I'm not sure which I'd pick as the better one.

I haven't yet read Master of Devils. I've left that for the plane trip back to Perth.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  07:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really intrigued by Prince ofWolves, especially since i didnt think so highly of Golarion before. However, Dave Gross demonstrated what you can make out of one setting!
So, im really looking forward to reading Masterof Devils and Winter Witch (elaine!)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  17:21:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool, I ordered all 3 of these yesterday from Amazon. Gonna first finish the two elminster books that came out recently, and start at least looking at the inner sea campaign book so I'm not totally lost, but hopefully I'll be impressed.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's terrific to see the kind comments about the Pathfinder Tales novels. Have you checked out the free web fiction? There are almost 20 stories available on paizo.com now.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  21:28:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed the Novels I have read from Golarion.

See sig for a link to Pathfinder Tales! Great stuff.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 26 Oct 2011 21:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  19:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@dave gross: i just discovered it via elaines posts in her “free fiction friday“ thread here on the board... And I just read your “Passage to Absalom“! Great stuff, i love murder mysteries (“murder in cormyr“ is among my favorite realms-novels). May we expect to see further publications from you set in Golarion?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  19:45:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kerrigan

@dave gross: i just discovered it via elaines posts in her “free fiction friday“ thread here on the board... And I just read your “Passage to Absalom“! Great stuff, i love murder mysteries (“murder in cormyr“ is among my favorite realms-novels). May we expect to see further publications from you set in Golarion?

Not Dave, but unless I've misunderstood something: Yes.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 07 Nov 2011 19:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  17:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kerrigan

Indeed you may.

In case you've missed them, there are a couple more free stories featuring the same characters at paizo.com: "A Lesson in Taxonomy" and "The Lost Pathfinder," the latter of which is an introductory story to Prince of Wolves the way "A Passage to Absalom" is a prelude to Master of Devils.

At the same site you can also buy an ePub version of "Hell's Pawns," the first Radovan & the Count novella, which originally appeared in six episodes in the Council of Thieves Adventure Path. The boys also appear in "Husks" in the current AP, Jade Regent. (That's the story my editor, James Sutter, likes best.)

There are, of course, also the two novels featuring the boys, Prince of Wolves and Master of Devils. The former is my love-letter to gothic horror, the latter my ode to kung fu movies.

As for future adventures in Golarion, nothing's been announced yet, but I'm busy writing.

Since you're a fan of murder mysteries, I think you'll prefer "Hell's Pawns" and "Husks." There's also a mystery element in the novels, particularly the first one.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  20:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Kerrigan,

I just started my copy of Death's Heretic, the newest Pathfinder novel, and it is proving to be a murder mystery as well. Quite intriguing so far. =)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000