Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What FR product do you wish had been written?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  04:40:48  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I almost made this a poll with what I wanted but that would have been really dumb. I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with. Personally, I wish the following had been written. Some of these have had some coverage here!

1. A Serpent Kingdoms-esque book covering the Aearee and one for the Batrachi.

2. A Maztica update for 3e.

3. Other exploratory books of terra incognita and lands like Osse, Katashaka (though I use Nyambe for that), the Utter East, etc.

4. Though the book ended abruptly, the novel Faces of Deception introduced what I thought was a very unique land known as Langdharma. Could have been a great setting.

5. A Horde and/or Kara-Tur update.

6. Undersea kingdoms described like the Sea of Corynactis.

7. A planar book for FR's unique cosmology.

8. Another book dedicated to Chult, Mezro, its Barae and possibly a war against Ras Nsi and his undead.

9. Race books for races unique to, or iconically Realmsian.

10. More Arcane Age products. Particularly phaerrimm involved.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  06:10:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically avoid responding to poll (or pseudo-poll) threads, but this caught my attention:
quote:
Seethyr

The focus on the Realms has commonly been the now, the latest and greatest gossip and wars and intrigues and monsters and evil megalomaniacal threats, plus no small amount of soap opera involving the (awfully clumsy and heavyhanded) doings of the deities. Things keep changing and - without needing to name any of the obvious examples - there's invariably a lot of angry backlash whenever the changes have an irreversible global scope or leave too many craters in their wake.

Yet the Realms are not just a vibrant setting now, they were also vibrant yesterday, and last century, and last millenium, and in times of lost legends and dimly-glimpsed myths. Arcane Age is almost like a magical game designer's trump card, it allows WotC to publish "old lore" which greatly pleases fans of the traditional Realms without at all challenging the integrity of the more recently designed Realms - in fact, actually quite the opposite ...

Publishing a variety of Arcane Age settings (ideally spanning different historical periods without any real overlap) would allow multiple, refreshing, radically different, yet still fully compatible Realms settings to all share and contribute to a unified ocean of Realmslore. It enriches modern Realms eras with all sorts of wonderfully detailed historical background. It allows old (and even dead) NPCs to be invented or reinvented, unfinished stories to be told (or retold in different ways), ruins to come to life, and all the little spinning cogs which move behind the great wheels to be viewed with a perspective that adds depth and needed context to otherwise arbitrary-seeming happenings of great import. Most importantly, it opens the door to any number of exciting "new" places and peoples and problems which are both familiar and strange to anyone who has visited any other part of the Realms.

A unique advantage exists in that these setting products can be abandoned or delayed or self-contained or spinoff into massive settings of their own, all without impacting the established Realms setting in any way. They are both entwined and disconnected in a most peculiar way, no matter how much you immerse or distance yourself from the "mainstream" Realms world - or any other Realms world.

It is no accident that the tales of Netheril and Myth Drannor are the most popular legends in Realmslore, while other civilizations and events which shaped the world are often known by most people as little more than interesting or mysterious names on the maps.

I see this idea as being pure win if implemented with some care, most certainly worth deep consideration.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Sep 2011 06:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  06:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have loved to have seen Swampy Kingdoms, Sylvan Kingdoms and Sky Kingdoms -- sourcebooks detailing the Batrachi, Fey and Aearee creator races and their modern descendants, ruins and legacies.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  06:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
quote:
Seethyr

<snip>

Yet the Realms are not just a vibrant setting now, they were also vibrant yesterday, and last century, and last millenium, and in times of lost legends and dimly-glimpsed myths. Arcane Age is almost like a magical game designer's trump card, it allows WotC to publish "old lore" which greatly pleases fans of the traditional Realms without at all challenging the integrity of the more recently designed Realms - in fact, actually quite the opposite ...

Publishing a variety of Arcane Age settings (ideally spanning different historical periods without any real overlap) would allow multiple, refreshing, radically different, yet still fully compatible Realms settings to all share and contribute to a unified ocean of Realmslore. It enriches modern Realms eras with all sorts of wonderfully detailed historical background. It allows old (and even dead) NPCs to be invented or reinvented, unfinished stories to be told (or retold in different ways), ruins to come to life, and all the little spinning cogs which move behind the great wheels to be viewed with a perspective that adds depth and needed context to otherwise arbitrary-seeming happenings of great import. Most importantly, it opens the door to any number of exciting "new" places and peoples and problems which are both familiar and strange to anyone who knows any other part of the Realms setting.

It is no accident that the tales of Netheril and Myth Drannor are the most popular legends in Realmslore, while other civilizations and events which shaped the world are often known by most people as little more than interesting or mysterious names on the maps.

I see this idea as being pure win if implemented with some care, most certainly worth deep consideration.

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I would have loved to have seen Swampy Kingdoms, Sylvan Kingdoms and Sky Kingdoms -- sourcebooks detailing the Batrachi, Fey and Aearee creator races and their modern descendants, ruins and legacies.

I couldn't agree with these statements more!

Gray, I have also read what you have written on the Creator Races here on Candlekeep and think what you have put down would make an amazing part of any one of those books. Any possibility of expanding on them? Possibly working it into a nice little pdf?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  06:46:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, sorry, edited post while you were quoting it. More flowery wording, same general content.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  08:29:41  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can second no. 2, 3, 5, 7 and 10 from the OP's list.

I'll add my own - "Reclamation"... nuff said.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  09:28:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

More Shadovar-centric novels.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  09:52:26  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the choices there, I will say 1, 3, 5, 9, and 10.

#1: This primarily. Covering all things serpent, from the prehistoric age through yuan-ti, absolutely everything. This would have the potential to be a really big hurkin' book. From quasi-Mesozoic cities of basalt a la Howard and Lovecraft, all the way to spellscarred serpentines? Oh, you betcha. Sign me up.

#3: Primarily curiousity. I mean 'Osse'? How big a giveaway does that need to be?

#5. Kata-Tur. Teh awesomesauce-ness. 'Nuff said.

#9. There's a lot that could go into a book about different races and sub-races of the Realms. Even if it's just the one tome, a lot could be put in, provided they don't use the 4th Edition FRCG format.

#10. Arcane Age simply requires more stuff, in my humbleness-free opinion. The more, the better.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  10:09:02  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for number 10, specially with the Phaerimm added, I haven't read much of them but felt them like, somehow a real intriguing race and specie I wished I could read more of...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  10:23:13  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From your choices, 1, 7, 9, 10. And then hundreds of other books, in short:

1. A Serpent Kingdoms-esque book covering the fey

2. Western Heartlands

3. Demonlands (Impiltur, Damara, Narfell ...)

4. A book about faiths, cults and philosophies, religious conflicts and heresies in the Realms.

5. Lost Empires of Faerun 2 (not actually empires, covering the smaller non-elven realms)

6. Lost Cities of Faerun(like the Pathfinder book, only triple the pages. E.g. Naarkolyth, Solon, Shoonach, Rasilith, Winterkeep, Bell in the Depths, Talis ...)

7. A book about magic and technology, how they use magic in normal life. And about styles and traditions of magic.

8. A planar book, but focused Faerun, about outsider and alien influences and interests in the Realms.

9. Trade and economy (could include Sembia, Iron Throne and Thaymart).

10. Islands of Faerun (Ruathym, Nelanther, Lantan, Tharsult, Nimbral, Tuern ...)

11. Goblinoids of the Realms

12. Warfare book (how magic changes the battlefield, massive combat, siege engines, mercenaries, differences in equipment ...)

13. Ruins and Dungeons (Ascore, Castle Perilous, Palace of the Purple Emperor, Crypt of the Wondermakers, Hidden House, Holdfast, Temple of Splendor, Pelevaran, Old Illusk ...)

14. Faces of ... (like the Sigil book, I'd pick Baldur's Gate or Iriaebor first)

15. About each human culture, their customs, architecture ... (I'd pick Damaran, Chondathan, Talfiric or Illuskan first)

16. Sunken Empires

17. Monster Manual (bigger than MoF, with new monsters and some cool old ones, not xavers)

18. Vilhon Reach

19. The Ride, Thar and the Tortured Lands

20. Dragon Coast

21. Utter East

22. Chult

23. Cold Lands

24. Dalelands (better than the last one)

25. Cormyr compilation
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  10:57:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Everything Else. A Volo book covering everything not already covered!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  15:55:37  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Sembia.

I just fell in love with Saerloon from the FR Adventures book, the Cult of the Dragon Cell there seemed so badass (Salvarad especially, he was so cool). The churches of Mystra and Azuth...and just everything. I was so happy when the FR Comics went to Saerloon for a few issues.

Sembia was supposed to be blank in the first edition for DM's to modify as they saw fit, but by 2nd edition it was it's own place. I really wanted Sembia source material, pre the whole Shade takeover stupid thing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  15:59:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I approve of a great many of these suggestions.

And rather than rehash those already mentioned, I'll just add another:-

Elminster's Guide to the Border Kingdoms [Which would include new and updated info based around what was featured in those POLYHEDRON articles and Power of Faerūn.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  16:24:35  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 3.5e Cormyr book, first and foremost, with the same detail as Waterdeep received preferably but even a softback like Mysteries of the Moonsea or Silver Marches would be better than nothing. More about the Border Kingdoms, though the web series of articles on them is nice I would have enjoyed all of that information and more packed into another book the size of Power of Faerun. And I want to second a Lost Empires 2/Lost Cities book. The rich history and multitude of Ruins left behind by ancient civilizations is something I play up in my Realms games, and I'd happily accept even more detail on them.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  17:19:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Dragoncoast and Reclamation

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  17:23:52  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Environs of Waterdeep. I know that's been covered several times, but to finish the job.

Vast and Impiltur together. I could use them right now.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  17:56:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent post OP! Personally i would love to have seen more (rule books/novels/etc) done with Zakhara. I found what was released in the 90's really made me want to see more. The Al-Quadim setting always made for some great adventuring.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reconciliation between Silver Marches and "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy". There was a lot of seeming conflict, so this was never pursued. But I honestly believe that most of the conflict could've been explained away.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  18:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny how WotC really could easily have gone on for years and years creating new materials for the 3e realms (and earlier) without ever even have coming close to "finishing". I do love 4e realms because the truth is I love anything realms, but I wish that somewhere, somehow these ideas were still being fleshed out.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  19:43:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 3rd edition Dwarf sourcebook - something like "Legends of the Dwarf-Lords". Based mostly on Ed's 1st edition product, but with lots of new, previously unknown material.

Most of FR's history is a little too Elf-heavy for my liking, and I'd like to know what the other races were up to for some 35,000+ years.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Sep 2011 19:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  21:00:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Volo's Guide to Elminster might offer a lot of fascinating lore, assuming Elminster didn't censor edit the "dangerous passages" ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  22:57:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The rise and fall of Netheril, with more focus on the former.

The Imaskari Empire, past and present.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  23:08:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the early history of the elves (sorry, Dennis and MT) especially the Crown Wars and the Descent. And maybe some lore about the founding and early history of Candlekee. I'd love to learn more about ALL the libraries of the Realms, actually!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  23:16:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would also like to see a trilogy detailing the Blood War---how it started, who the players are, and how it ended.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  23:26:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want a series THAT long?! That's all of time! (Up to recently, at least.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  00:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The rise and fall of Netheril, with more focus on the former.

The Imaskari Empire, past and present.

I second both of those and would add products detailing the histories of the survivor states (Shade, Haluruaa, Deep and High Imaskar) after the fall of their respective empires to the present.

-I would like to see something, preferrably a novel or a novel series, detailing the Manshoon Clone Wars.

-Even though it isn't as common as magic, something detailing psionics in the Realms would be nice. Maybe focusing on Jhaamdath and the Vilhon Reach from the early days of Jhaamdath through to the present.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  02:08:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

-Even though it isn't as common as magic, something detailing psionics in the Realms would be nice. Maybe focusing on Jhaamdath and the Vilhon Reach from the early days of Jhaamdath through to the present.

I second that. It would be nice to see a little background of Auppenser before and after the fall of Jhaamdath.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  02:11:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Volo's Guide to Mind-Flayers?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  02:15:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

How about Volo's Guide to Mind-Flayers?

WotC will soon release Realms of the Beyond, featuring creatures and aberrations from different planes of existence, and that includes the illithids.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  03:08:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I second that. It would be nice to see a little background of Auppenser before and after the fall of Jhaamdath.

I'm assuming you've not read the Candlekeep-exclusive series Lost Empires of Faerūn - Enhancements presented by Ed Bonny?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  04:10:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on Myth Drannor, I would like the forest of Cormanthor detailed down to the micropixel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000