Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Brotherhood of the Griffon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  16:01:01  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just thought that I would log my appreciation here of Richard Lee Byer's Brotherhood of the Griffon series. I have just finished volume 3 in the series and am very pleased that volume 4 is on its way in 2012 - although I am a little confused about the title as Amazon.com says one thing, whilst the frontspiece of volume 3 says another...

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  22:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you're enjoying it, ToH.

At one point, Book Four was going to be called Rival Blades. Then WotC decided they liked The Masked Witches better, so the book will come out with that title. Unless they change their minds again.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  23:35:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

Just thought that I would log my appreciation here of Richard Lee Byer's Brotherhood of the Griffon series. I have just finished volume 3 in the series and am very pleased that volume 4 is on its way in 2012 - although I am a little confused about the title as Amazon.com says one thing, whilst the frontspiece of volume 3 says another...

Care to write reviews on Books 2 and 3? I lost interest when I reached half of Book 2, and didn't finish it nor bother buying the third book. But I'd like to know what others think...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Slydawg
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  22:36:44  Show Profile Send Slydawg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Glad you're enjoying it, ToH.

At one point, Book Four was going to be called Rival Blades. Then WotC decided they liked The Masked Witches better, so the book will come out with that title. Unless they change their minds again.

I think Rival Blades sounds more... Richard Lee Byers!...:P anyways...

Just finishing Spectral blaze and saw that there was a book 4! Can't wait, awesome job so far love the characters! :)

Hope is the denial of reality (Margaret Weis)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2011 :  03:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you're enjoying the books, Slydawg.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2011 :  05:36:27  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also very excited about this series and have recently purchased book 3 and can't wait to dig in. The charatcres are amazing and I really enjoy how the ongoing story feels like it belongs in the realms and contributes to it as a whole. recurring characters, events and places make it a treat to read.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2011 :  06:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, jornan.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  17:58:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reading Byers' Haunted Lands trilogy now and am really looking forward to the Brotherhood of the Griffon series

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  18:05:49  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I am reading Byers' Haunted Lands trilogy now and am really looking forward to the Brotherhood of the Griffon series

Hope you enjoy them. In my opinion both series are some of best 'in-print' Forgotten Realms books out there at the moment and make an excellent starting point for newcomers to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  19:44:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:

Hope you enjoy them. In my opinion both series are some of best 'in-print' Forgotten Realms books out there at the moment and make an excellent starting point for newcomers to the Realms.

Thanks! I always enjoy the Realms books where the evil characters tend to take center stage. Szass Tam, any drow, and of course ENTRERI :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  23:14:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks! I always enjoy the Realms books where the evil characters tend to take center stage. Szass Tam [...]

Agreed. In fact, at times I like the villains more than the heroes.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  00:00:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks! I always enjoy the Realms books where the evil characters tend to take center stage. Szass Tam [...]

Definitely!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  12:26:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Definitely!

That's one of the things I like about how Richard writes his characters. I rarely dislike his heroes; and almost always I tend to favor his villains. There's always a balance of focus on the two opposite camps.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  13:53:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Definitely!

That's one of the things I like about how Richard writes his characters. I rarely dislike his heroes; and almost always I tend to favor his villains. There's always a balance of focus on the two opposite camps.

I haven't read everything Byers has written for the Realms yet, but everything i have read by him has been fantastic. Is he currently working on a new project?

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  14:59:06  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Definitely!

I haven't read everything Byers has written for the Realms yet, but everything i have read by him has been fantastic. Is he currently working on a new project?

As far as I know his next project is books 4-6 in the Brotherhood Of The Griffon Series. As for after that I don't have any idea.

Edited by - AdamBridger on 25 Aug 2011 14:59:34
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  15:00:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes. He's going to continue The Brotherhood of the Griffon series with three more books. The next one, The Masked Witches, will be released February next year. Here it is.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  16:18:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes. He's going to continue The Brotherhood of the Griffon series with three more books. The next one, The Masked Witches, will be released February next year. Here it is.

Wow that's great that the series is going to be more than a trilogy! On the flip side, I might have to wait until all 6 books are released before i start reading them because i am sure i will want to read the whole series strait through without waiting for the next one to be released.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 25 Aug 2011 16:18:45
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  16:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, the story that begins in Book 1 ends with Book 3. Book 4 starts a new story with a new locale, villains, mysteries, etc., although certain subplots from the previous trilogy carry over. So those people who want a complete story in hand before they start reading might still find it appropriate and satisfying to go ahead and tackle Books 1-3. I'm just sayin'.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  17:06:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

For what it's worth, the story that begins in Book 1 ends with Book 3. Book 4 starts a new story with a new locale, villains, mysteries, etc., although certain subplots from the previous trilogy carry over. So those people who want a complete story in hand before they start reading might still find it appropriate and satisfying to go ahead and tackle Books 1-3. I'm just sayin'.

Sounds good to me. I will probably start Brotherhood of the Griffon right after finishing your Haunted Lands. Great series, keep up the good work!

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  18:42:56  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished book 3, and I loved them all. I was pleasantly surprised that it also tied into the Rogue Dragon Series, which I didn't even realize was written by the same author.

My favorite part must be the foreshadowing of the Occupy Movement in this world:

"A fool in a tavern had once jeered that Morric didn't even know why he hated wizards. He answered the taunt with his fists and boots. but after he sobered up, he realized he could have used his tongue if he had wished. For of course he knew.

Wizards trafficked with demons. It was the source of their power. They spread disease and misfortune to please their evil masters. They used their secret arts to control all the merchants and guilds and steal a dragons share of all the coin, and as a result, a simple man couldn't earn a decent wage."

Edit: It's embarrassing that I wrote rouge dragon, instead of rogue.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus

Edited by - Aulduron on 18 Jan 2012 00:34:54
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  20:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked them, Aulduron.

If the Occupy Movement is coming to the Realms, I recommend kicking it off in Sembia. Those damn greedy merchant princes.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  12:21:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved this series! My favorite one was Whisper of Venom!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  12:22:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way does anybody know when exactly in 2012 Book 4 is coming out?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  13:34:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

February. You can click the link I posted above.

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  17:35:06  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
February 7th.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  21:58:36  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the Masked Witches.

I'm wondering why each of these books has, on the back cover, a review by Alaundo, on Unclean.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  23:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Because he liked it.

This is a common practice in the book biz. If Book A got a good review, you may see the review quoted on Book B by the same author. The underlying assumption is that potential customers will see it as an indication that the author is a good writer in general.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  03:35:40  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess most people who look at the cover in the store might know you also wrote Unclean, but there is no mention of it on the cover for people unfamiliar with your work. Come on Alaundo, say something good about Captive Flame so they can update it on book 5.

Looking closer, I see mention of all your books on that first page, after the preface.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:25:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

Come on Alaundo, say something good about Captive Flame so they can update it on book 5.

Al, I second this!

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:38:55  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great book, Mr Byers. Now I wonder how long I'll have to jones for the next book.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:58:28  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to picking The Masked Witches up! I'm just so far behind in my reading :(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000