Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cosmology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  10:22:58  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading stuff on FR wiki, about the cosmology of the realms and I got confused.

1) The prime material plane; is that Toril as a planet?

2) When AO sundered the Abeir-Toril into Abeir and Toril did he create another plane or and entire new planet? Or did he move a piece of the continent of Fearun?

3) Is the crystal sphere, wherein Toril lies like a solar system, a galaxy or a univers?

4) If you kept climbing in altitude from Waterdeep would you get into space where other planets excist (like in our space) or would you hit the bouderies of the material plane?

5) Do one have to travel between planets or universes to get to Oerth and Kryynn?

I know its a lot of questions that might be answered if I took a deep look into all these scrolls, but im asking anyways!

Thanks...

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  10:40:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toril is a planet that is part of the Prime Material Plane. Toril is within Realmspace, which is Toril's solar system and the crystal sphere surrounding it. Via spelljamming ships, one can readily travel between Realmspace, Krynnspace, and Greyspace (where Oerth is). It's also possible to hop across the planes to go to those or other worlds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  11:18:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im sorry, but I need some FR Cosmology for dummies. I know that plane travel does excist, and that Toril lies in a crystal sphere. But how much excist within this crystal sphere? Does Kryynspace and Greyspace excist within the same crystalsphere or are they in their own.

Im realy sorry but I find this all very dificult to understand.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  11:27:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krynn, Toril, and Oerth each exist within their own crystal sphere. Each sphere is twice the size of the solar system it contains.

Krynn's crystal sphere is called Krynnspace, and Oerth's crystal sphere is called Greyspace.

In Spelljammer, each crystal sphere (including ones other than these three main ones) contains a single solar system, and is twice the size of that system.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  11:49:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the planes of world tree excist in the crystal sphere of toril or does that lie within Phlongostin.

Another thing... Has AO only created Realmspace or the other crystalspheres aswell.?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  12:03:03  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Does the planes of world tree excist in the crystal sphere of toril or does that lie within Phlongostin.

Another thing... Has AO only created Realmspace or the other crystalspheres aswell?

The Crystal spheres float in the phlogiston, so it is the material (anti-materia?) that lies outside the spheres. Wolly, I think I read somewhere that each crystal sphere is unique, so it can contain one single planet, a solar system, or even a universe. If I recall correctly, Athas is a single-planet sphere (and Earth would be on a universe-sized sphere). However, I must check my references. And Nicolai, the Prime Material Plane comprises the phlogiston and all of the Crystal spheres. About Ao, I think others can answer this one better, but as far as I know, he created only Realmspace. But being a deity, you know, maybe te High God of Krynn is just another name of Ao...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  12:06:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicolai, read through my section "D.1" in the Candlekeep Code of Conduct. It's still largely applicable, though it doesn't completely take into account the planar changes inherent in 4e core D&D. [That'll come later.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jun 2011 12:07:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  18:21:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Another thing... Has AO only created Realmspace or the other crystalspheres aswell?

The Crystal spheres float in the phlogiston, so it is the material (anti-materia?) that lies outside the spheres. Wolly, I think I read somewhere that each crystal sphere is unique, so it can contain one single planet, a solar system, or even a universe. If I recall correctly, Athas is a single-planet sphere (and Earth would be on a universe-sized sphere). However, I must check my references. And Nicolai, the Prime Material Plane comprises the phlogiston and all of the Crystal spheres. About Ao, I think others can answer this one better, but as far as I know, he created only Realmspace. But being a deity, you know, maybe te High God of Krynn is just another name of Ao...

Each sphere is unique, but I don't recall any references to spheres containing more than one solar system.

It's possible Athas is the only planet in its sphere, but unless there's something truly wonky about that one, then there's a sun in there, too, making it a solar system.

And Oerth is a nifty example of a non-standard solar system: everything does truly revolve around Oerth, instead of the planet orbiting the sun, like with Earth, Toril, Krynn, Golarion, or any known system in the real world.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  18:46:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1) The prime material plane; is that Toril as a planet?

-The Prime Material Plane is the plane that Toril exist in. It is indeed a planet.

quote:

2) When AO sundered the Abeir-Toril into Abeir and Toril did he create another plane or and entire new planet? Or did he move a piece of the continent of Fearun?

-This was one of the biggest questions surrounding breaking 'Abeir' and 'Toril' into two distinct entities, when it used to just be Abeir-Toril in pre-4e sources. Nothing really said, in the preview material, just what exactly 'Abeir' was. As it turns out, 'Abeir' is a planet, like 'Toril'. The Spelljammer product Realmspace shows us what the solar system looks like. With 'Abeir' being retroactively added in there, obviously, the solar system has changed, with a new planet having been added in. No 4e material makes it clear that 'Abeir', as a planet, wasn't in some other plane, so presumably, it's always been in orbit around the sun, just without any kind of meaningful interaction with 'Toril' until the Spellplague.

quote:

3) Is the crystal sphere, wherein Toril lies like a solar system, a galaxy or a univers?

-A Crystal Sphere, it's literally a giant, physical sphere that contains the solar system of a D&D world, making things nice and neat. Depending on how big your solar system is, they can be bigger and larger, obviously.

quote:

4) If you kept climbing in altitude from Waterdeep would you get into space where other planets excist (like in our space) or would you hit the bouderies of the material plane?

-All of space is on the Material Plane. So, you'll go up, get into space eventually, but you'll still be on the Material Plane. If you left Realmspace, and went to another Crystal Sphere, you'd still be on the Material Plane.

quote:

5) Do one have to travel between planets or universes to get to Oerth and Kryynn?

-They're all different planets, in different Crystal Spheres. So, you'd have to travel out of one Crystal Sphere, into another. Phlogiston is the stuff that Crystal Spheres float in, so a spelljammer ship would travel through that stuff, to get from one to another. I always saw that as akin to traveling through Hyperspace, like in Star Wars.

-Anyway, hopefully, from everyone answering, you have enough info to sort things out. Something to remember, is that Spelljammer is a 2e thing, and we're now in 4e. There's two editions of rule changes, retcons to the multiverse and how things work, and names and such to work with. Personally, the 2e materials, obviously, are the best, and those are the ones I stick with. Make sense of that 2e stuff as a starting point, and then the changes made in 3e and 4e will come easier, and make more sense.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  20:30:09  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As ive said before... Im a novice when it comes to FR lore, but slowly im getting there. All answers have been most helpfull. Though I must admit there are still things I dont get. Perhaps I'll find it all out someday!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  02:38:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's possible Athas is the only planet in its sphere, but unless there's something truly wonky about that one, then there's a sun in there, too, making it a solar system.
From what little we do know about the rest of Athas-space, the other bodies in the sphere aren't any nicer than Athas.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  05:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed's post over at Loremaster.org, Abeir appears to be in a pocket universe a little bit larger than Abeir. This pocket universe is located in roughly the same location as Toril, but dimensionally out of phase with each other. During the Spellplague, Abeir came back into "phase" with Toril and the planets briefly occupied the same physical reality (to some degree) causing displacement of landmasses and physical features.

It does not sound (from Ed's comments on the matter) as if Ao, or the Primordials created any celestial bodies for Abeir. The pocket universe appears to have been a cold, black space without any sun or stars. Some of us have speculated that the Steelsky which appears over Returned Abeir is what served the planet Abeir in lieu of a sun, giving light, and perhaps warmth, so that life could survive. Alternatively, it is possible that Abeir might have been able to see Toril's sun and stars through the borders of its pocket universe in the manner that people on the Ethereal Plane can peer into the Material Plane. Although, if they do have a Steelsky blanketing the planet, this might have obscured any such view.

See this thread here for a discussion on the matter: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21077089/Planes_of_FR?pg=1

I was going to link directly to Ed's quote on Loremaster.org, but apparently Loremaster.org had a crash and the Ed Greenwood quote is no longer available there. But I will reproduce the question asked of Ed Greenwood by Silversword and Ed's reply:

"The_Silversword
November 22, 2009
Thank you Ed Greenwood! That was a very enlightening response!
I see what you mean, Im begining to understand now how Abeir fits in with the Realms Cosmology.
I have (at least) one more question on Abeir. Is there an Abeirspace? Was just Toril twinned or all of Realmspace? If you was on Abeir and left the planet via a Spelljamming vessel, or something similar, where would you end up? in Abeirspace, Realmspace, or some sort of Limbo? (Sorry I know thats more than one question.)
Thanks again for all your replies, I'm hoping you can enlighten me on this one as well.

Ed Greenwood
November 22, 2009
If you spelljammed up off Abeir, where you found yourself would depend on WHEN you left the surface of Abeir.
If it was immediately before, during, or after its "collision/passing through/intersection with" Toril, you would be in Realmspace (in probably very dangerous "weather" of bursts of spontaneous, uncontrolled lightning, vortices of destructive winds, wild magic, and other hairy, ferocious and everchanging side-effects of the two worlds "passing through" each other).
If it was long before or well after that time (more than a perhaps six months or so, either way), you'd find yourself lost in the phlogiston...somewhere. (I.e. up to your DM what the nearest crystal spheres would be.) Or in another dimension altogether (again, according to your DM's desires)."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  16:19:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I could possibly add is that I 'think' (as in, mostly conjecture) that the pocket-dimension that contains Abeir is within Realmspace, but out-of-sync with it (for you scify buffs, it resonates at a different quantum frequency).

What that means is that IF travel between the Prime Material and Abeir is at all possible, it can only be done from Realmspace; the pocket-dimension is a subset of Realmspace, and cannot be reach by traveling through any other plane (AFAIK). Some Crystal Spheres, like the one surrounding Athas (Dark Sun) are 'closed', and cannot be passed through by any means (including planeswalking, AFAIK). Crystal Spheres follow much the same setup as planes and domains, in that they all have their own set of rules & physics, including what levels of magic and technology are available, as well as which gods may enter (if any). This set of governing rules is known by various names depending upon the world in question; in the Realms we call it "The Weave".

ALL known D&D worlds, with the lone exception of the Domains of Dread (Ravenloft), are located in the Prime Material Plane. One can travel from one world to another by moving through the Phlogiston ('Space' in a magical universe), or the Deep Ethereal (pre-3e), or the Plane of Shadows/Shadowdfel (3e+).

Gray and I had some theories about phlogiston being the physical manifestation of the Deep Ethereal (or astral), which overlaps the Shadowfel dimensionally. Ergo, you are traveling through the same physical points in space as you move from world to world, but within different planer 'layers' (like traveling through the ocean, or beneath it at different depths). The magic of the Spelljamming Helms shifts you into the Border Ethereal as you exit the atmosphere, and from there you can enter various levels of dimensional space to reach your goals.

Once again, that last paragraph was mostly conjecture, to help marry some older D&D concepts to new ones, and also still allow RW physics to function in the D&D universe. It works very similar to how creatures in the Ethereal/Astral can't be seen from the Prime. The Enterprise (or Deathstar) would not be able to see the Spelljammer, even if the two passed right by each other, because the Spelljammer would be in a parallel plane (Astral, Ethereal, or Shadow), and NOT in the physical (Prime Material) Plane. Once within the gravitational field of a singularity, the spelljamming helm would return you to normal space, in a gradual manner that is indiscernible to normal (human) senses. Theoretically, it should be possible for either or both to see each other is the proper magic or technological sensing methods were employed, but under normal circumstances this would not apply.

This is why I dislike Spelljammer - it is hard to get it to work within the same universe as the RW. It only makes sense if the ship is actually shifting dimensionally, which the SJ rules never imply.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jun 2011 16:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  18:23:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is why I dislike Spelljammer - it is hard to get it to work within the same universe as the RW. It only makes sense if the ship is actually shifting dimensionally, which the SJ rules never imply.

So you dislike Spelljammer because it doesn't make sense compared to the real world, the same place where we don't have mages teleporting, dwarves and dark elves fighting under our feet, and dragons getting tweaked off and leveling cities?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  02:17:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ALL known D&D worlds, with the lone exception of the Domains of Dread (Ravenloft), are located in the Prime Material Plane.
Not quite.

While the 3e interpretation of RAVENLOFT didn't specifically define the nature of the realm in which it sit, the lore describing it tended to wax and wane around the possibility of it -- at one time -- existing in its own Prime Material -- while at other times -- it was sitting in a demiplane all on its own.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only thing I could possibly add is that I 'think' (as in, mostly conjecture) that the pocket-dimension that contains Abeir is within Realmspace, but out-of-sync with it (for you scify buffs, it resonates at a different quantum frequency).

I hadn't quite applied the 4e Abeir and Shadowfell stuff (given my group isn't using the Spellplague/4e shenanigans), but your otherwise Spelljammer+planes+physics mashup is pretty much spot-on with what I've been using with my group for our games. I approve, saer.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:22:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So you dislike Spelljammer because it doesn't make sense compared to the real world, the same place where we don't have mages teleporting, dwarves and dark elves fighting under our feet, and dragons getting tweaked off and leveling cities?

-We have all of that stuff. It's just, you know, real.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 08 Jun 2011 05:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  16:56:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with fantasy (magic, monsters, etc..), because as a scify buff as well I have read many works which have married the concepts (is there really any difference between 'super-science' and magic?)

Magic can easily be made to shoe-horn into a scientific universe - D&D magic is based on Jack Vance's books, which are technically scify and therefor D&D magic itself is 'super-science'.

But Spelljamming, as presented, cannot function within the same universe as as RW physics because it defies physics, and even common sense.

Like I said, as presented. If we simply say that the ships are shifting into another plane as they leave the atmosphere, and NOT traveling through normal space, then everything works-out. The phlogoston CANNOT exist in the normal Prime Material Plane because science already knows it does not.

However, the Phlogiston CAN exist in any other place science has not yet ventured into. That's where my problem lies with Spelljamming - they imply that RW physics is wrong and that D&D rules are right, rather then trying to work within what we already know as factual.

And Earth being within its own crystal sphere is plausible, so I have no problem with that. It could be in an immensely large sphere, or alternately, be in a cleverly disguised one (like in the World of Tiers novel series). I personally lean toward the 'impossibly large' model, perhaps even going so far as to say the entirety of the Milky Way is contained within a single crystal sphere (which would alleviate some of the weirdness - trapped Spelljamming vessels would only be encountered at the outer rim of the Galaxy). Of course, encountering a 'Spanish Galleon' floating in-space out beyond Pluto would make for a great story as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  18:10:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But Spelljamming, as presented, cannot function within the same universe as as RW physics because it defies physics, and even common sense.

And again, things like dragons, teleportation, or other interesting magics like polymorphing are things that defy RW physics. Why are some things acceptable where others are not?

Heck, it's been in canon since 1E that real-world devices such as electronics and gunpowder don't work in the Realms. That, too, defies physics and common sense. How is that okay?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  18:33:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heck, it's been in canon since 1E that real-world devices such as electronics and gunpowder don't work in the Realms. That, too, defies physics and common sense. How is that okay?

-Right. The physics of Realmspace are notably different from the physics that we are used to, here in the real world. As far as I can tell, the physics in Realmspace, as well as the physics of Spelljamming are consistent.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  20:32:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand Markustay's concerns about making fantasy and RW somehow compatible. I also like to see fantasy settings like the real world with some spice. And I think it makes stories of Elminster coming to Earth, or travels of Dragonlance artists to Krynn, for example, make more sense, and stories being more "consistent" is part of the fun for me.

I think the hypothesis of spheres with a huge difference in size (from single-planet to universe-sized) was given to me by a friend as a home rule, since most of my knowledge of SJ was playing with him as a DM. But I think it is a nice alternative. Another one is that the Spelljammer helms also keep the temperature and air envelopes around the ships (they keep the gravity planes and give the ships motion power, right?).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 08 Jun 2011 20:34:36
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  21:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal problem with Spelljammer is trying to fit the overall "map" of crystal spheres and the phlogiston within the planescape. I have a hard time conceptualizing it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  01:42:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Right. The physics of Realmspace are notably different from the physics that we are used to, here in the real world. As far as I can tell, the physics in Realmspace, as well as the physics of Spelljamming are consistent.

Indeed.

This doesn't, however, mean that the Realms doesn't have an entirely unique set of physical laws all its own -- as the Old Grey Box states:- "The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world." [DM's Sourcebook of the Realms pg. 9]

As such, determining physical connections between Realmspace and the overall scope of SPELLJAMMER, is likely left up to the DM to decide upon.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  12:28:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Hawkins

My personal problem with Spelljammer is trying to fit the overall "map" of crystal spheres and the phlogiston within the planescape. I have a hard time conceptualizing it.[quote]
Some planescape maps with the structure of the planes have this swirling mist with spheres that I think represent the phlogiston and the spheres, have you seen them, Hawkins?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

My personal problem with Spelljammer is trying to fit the overall "map" of crystal spheres and the phlogiston within the planescape. I have a hard time conceptualizing it.
Some planescape maps with the structure of the planes have this swirling mist with spheres that I think represent the phlogiston and the spheres, have you seen them, Hawkins?
I have seen Spelljammer maps of the crystal spheres, but I do not think that I have seen any Planscape maps. Do you know where I might find one?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  18:50:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

-I was actually thinking about that last night, for whatever reason. I see it as pretty simple, really: Everything exists on the Material Plane. The Void, on the Material Plane, is the Void. The Void, in the Elemental Plane of Water, might simply be a great expanse of water. On the Elemental Plane of Fire, lots of lava. On the Elemental Plane of Air, vast nothingness. On the Elemental Plane of Earth, more solid rock. And so on.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  19:14:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins I have seen Spelljammer maps of the crystal spheres, but I do not think that I have seen any Planescape maps. Do you know where I might find one?

Inside the Planescape boxes...
Well, check this link, one of the maps I remember is quite like this one I found in the internet: http://zen79.deviantart.com/art/The-Planescape-Multiverse-35619350

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  22:07:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point is that the existence of something that we haven't discovered or how to do yet does not negate the fact it could be possible. For instance, there is a very good book about Dragons that discusses them from a RW perspective, and although I would not agree with everything presented therein, the author gave some very plausible theories about how such creatures could have existed. I have seen other works discussing similar subjects, and there are numerous scify series (The Saga of Pliocene Exile jumps to mind) that explain other fantasy phenomena.

BUT, we know there is NO Phlogiston, because we KNOW what space is composed of - THAT is my problem with it. You can suggest to me that Bigfoot does indeed exist, but you couldn't possibly convince me he lives in my house.

If you fall back on the theory that Earth sits in a cleverly disguised (or immensely large) crystal sphere, then we still have the problem of how a normal spacecraft (from a technological sphere) was flying trough Grayspace, which Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was based upon. A ship from a high-tech sphere shouldn't work within a magical/Spelljamming one. The two types of 'space' are not compatible. In fact, the final (real) issue of Dragon Magazine addressed the ship in that adventure, and we find out that it was simply one module jettisoned from a MUCH larger vessel trapped in Grayspace.

Spelljamming doesn't make sense in terms of it being a magical way to 'fly through normal space', but it could easily make sense if it were actually flying through something else (like some sort of planer medium).

Spelljamming also doesn't make much sense, as presented, in terms of Planescape/D&D cosmology, because why would any race go through so much trouble to travel through all that space that they can easily avoid? By linking Speljamming to the planes - and saying the phlogiston is a physical manifestation of some sort of 'astral sea' - it not only alleviates the problems with RW astrophysics, but also blends SJ better with PS (ships that sail the planes is an old - and good - fantasy trope).

Anyhow, you can probably tell I was never really happy with the SJ rules, but I have managed to distill the core concepts out for my own gaming. There was some good stuff buried (deep) under all that crap (for instance, the ships were the bomb!)

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jun 2011 22:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  00:34:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno... I loved Spelljammer, and find it a most viable alternative to planar travel. I'd tweak the rules just a hair, in regards to how helms work, but that would be more of a flavor thing than a mechanical change.

And it's easy enough to drop a technologically advanced spacecraft into Greyspace. We've got a very strange vessel there already, a portal that can flip ships across time and space, and plenty of room to drop in some other abnormal astronomical feature.

In fact, one of my NPC ideas is a Space Marine from the Warhammer 40k -- my idea is that he was on a space hunk that fell into the Warp, and fell back out in D&D space. He was rescued and is now in the Realms, his armor has been magically modified, and he's now a priest of Torm (he sees the Emperor as a servant to Torm).

As for meshing spelljammer (and fantasy in general) with the real world... That one puzzles me. Why would this be an objective? Unless I'm reading urban fantasy (which I am, at the moment: the Dresden Files), I'm more than happy to have fantasy and the real world be separated from each other. I see fantasy worlds as alternate realities with rules that may not necessarily be the same as in the real world, and that's fine with me.

And one of my earlier points remains, as well -- real world physics is not, in canon, fully in sync with physics in the Realms. Why is that not a problem for you, but the reverse is?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  01:39:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno... I loved Spelljammer, and find it a most viable alternative to planar travel. I'd tweak the rules just a hair, in regards to how helms work, but that would be more of a flavor thing than a mechanical change.
I found SPELLJAMMER to have the most gripping sense of otherworldly-reality... and that's what attracted me most to the setting.
quote:
And it's easy enough to drop a technologically advanced spacecraft into Greyspace. We've got a very strange vessel there already, a portal that can flip ships across time and space, and plenty of room to drop in some other abnormal astronomical feature.
Considering that the limits of the Phlogiston have never been properly defined, the amount of just about ANYTHING you can drop into a SPELLJAMMER campaign, is limited only by the imagination of the DM.

And I think the existing SPELLJAMMER material displayed that aspect of the setting, perfectly.
quote:
In fact, one of my NPC ideas is a Space Marine from the Warhammer 40k -- my idea is that he was on a space hunk that fell into the Warp, and fell back out in D&D space. He was rescued and is now in the Realms, his armor has been magically modified, and he's now a priest of Torm (he sees the Emperor as a servant to Torm).
I've theorised on ways of connecting the Warp and the Phlogiston. But then, I've also begun tinkering with theories that expand on the similarities between the Astronomicon and the Astral Plane.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  12:42:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...) BUT, we know there is NO Phlogiston, because we KNOW what space is composed of - THAT is my problem with it. (...)
In the immensely large crystal sphere theory, space would be Wildspace, the phlogiston would be yet undiscovered.
quote:
If you fall back on the theory that Earth sits in a cleverly disguised (or immensely large) crystal sphere, then we still have the problem of how a normal spacecraft (from a technological sphere) was flying trough Grayspace, which Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was based upon. A ship from a high-tech sphere shouldn't work within a magical/Spelljamming one. The two types of 'space' are not compatible. (...)

Well, this is a problem if you stick to the statements that physics work differently. Since I choose to make things more compatible, I see no problem. The difference among ships is magic, and SJ space ships and creatures are simply magical, in my setting. But I understand, the problem is the way it is presented.
quote:
Spelljamming also doesn't make much sense, as presented, in terms of Planescape/D&D cosmology, because why would any race go through so much trouble to travel through all that space that they can easily avoid?
Well, if you think this way, SJ doesn't make any sense. But I think people - especially non-spellcasters - feel more safe travelling in a ship than through a portal. And if you think teleporting works better when you know your destination, spelljammer takes you to different places physically.

I think the only problem with the planar travel is that ships would be out of phase. It would be a trouble for those few place that use SJ ships as earthly protection (like Evermeet) and about rumors of SJ ship sights (legends of elves leaving their ancient homes flying in the back of giant butterflies, in the North). However, if they could "blink" in the Material Plane, it would be fun - butterfly invisible jet fighters!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 10 Jun 2011 12:47:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly