Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  17:50:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Continuing the tradition...

So, I WILL be there this year. YAY!

The numbers for this year (Updated with Events going LIVE):

Total D&D Events - 627 755
AD&D/Basic/House Mod - 83 177
3rd Ed - 21 22
3.5 - 72 73
4th Ed - 206 232*
Pathfinder - 245 251†

*187 188 of these are official games (RPGA/etc.)
†166 of these are official games (Pathfinder Society/etc.)

So, non-Wizards 4E games are down to 19 games, while non-Paizo Pathfinder games are up to 79. Less 3.0/3.5 games (93), but more other editions/house/mods (83).

There's plenty of games for everyone to play! So, who's going this year? I saw that Ms. Cunningham will be attending and guesting at Paizo's Pathfinder Tales seminar (Saturday, Aug 6th, 4:00 PM). Although I haven't seen any WotC seminars listed in the catalog, I'm assuming they are doing the traditionals? (Lady Hooded One, can you confirm Ed's Spin-a-Yarn?)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 06 May 2011 18:13:40

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  17:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a pipe dream of making it there someday...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  18:18:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Ditto. Every time I think I can make it this year, something else comes up... Maybe next year...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live about a 2 hour's drive south of Indy and I have relatives that live in Indy who I stay with so I will be going as I have every year since GenCon made the move to Indy. I'll probably be looking into more board games now that D&D minis is just about dead. Beyond that I might see if there is anything to the rebirth of HeroClix.

I have noticed mention of Ed's Spin-a-Yarn around the site (and in this thread). Could someone fill me in on what this is (format, content, etc) and where it is traditionally held? I went to more of the seminars last year than I usually do and that was the only place I (briefly) saw Ed.

I was in downtown Indy last month for a LEGO event at the convention center and afterward I took a walk around to check out the new additions that are now open. I think the convention center has doubled in size with the new expansion. I will be interested to see what all they cram into it this year.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashe, I can confirm that Ed has been asked to do Spin A Yarn and some other WotC seminars, and has accepted. I also know Gabrielle Harbowy, his co-editor on the WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME anthology, plans to be at GenCon selling the book. Ed of course has worked on a Gaming Paper project and will almost certainly do something at GenCon re. that, too.
And of course he really wants to see Brian Cortijo, Steven Schend, and many, many other friends and colleagues at the con again this year, too.
Tyrant, Ed's Spin A Yarn has for the last few years been held in one of the ground floor or second floor "back behind True Dungeon or the restaurant" rooms in the Downtown Marriott (the old one directly across from the front of the convention center [the old RCA Dome entrance], not the new J.W. Marriott that's a block west of the public parking garage that's due west of the Marriott).
Spin A Yarn is an audience participation seminar wherein Ed solicits suggested story elements for a Realms short story he writes (for free) that gets posted on the (free area of) the Wizards website. Audience members call out ideas, characters, places, magic items, spells, situations, et al, and as long as they're not real-world things or trademarked characters, etc. owned by other companies, he tries to put EVERYTHING into the story...which of course doesn't appear until months after the seminar (in recent years, as late as June or July before the NEXT GenCon in August).
It has a tendency to turn into "I can suggest something raunchier or sillier than the last audience member who spoke," but it's all in good fun (except perhaps for the beleaguered WotC staffer who acts as scribe each year, inputting all the shouted suggestions into a computer file for Ed to work from), and Ed has generated some surprisingly entertaining tales for us all to read, over the years.

GenCon is a great opportunity for every gamer to buy more stuff than they can carry, to participate in really large-scale games, and to meet and talk with all sorts of gaming luminaries. I know Ed WANTS to meet and talk with gamers, to hear their beefs and suggestions and just hang out with them and talk Realms or writing or game design . . . and plenty of other game stalwarts feel the same way and will be there at the con.
It's expensive, yes, but every gamer should go, at least once . . .
(Ed has been to GenCon 8, 13, 17 and every single one since, and there have been over 40 of them. I even try to drop by, if my day job permits, but usually manage only fleeting late-night visits. No, guys, I probably won't be in a revealing costume, but if you ask nicely I'll happily flash flesh, ahem, endure a "wardrobe malfunction.")
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  00:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Tyrant, Ed's Spin A Yarn has for the last few years been held in one of the ground floor or second floor "back behind True Dungeon or the restaurant" rooms in the Downtown Marriott (the old one directly across from the front of the convention center [the old RCA Dome entrance], not the new J.W. Marriott that's a block west of the public parking garage that's due west of the Marriott).
Spin A Yarn is an audience participation seminar wherein Ed solicits suggested story elements for a Realms short story he writes (for free) that gets posted on the (free area of) the Wizards website. Audience members call out ideas, characters, places, magic items, spells, situations, et al, and as long as they're not real-world things or trademarked characters, etc. owned by other companies, he tries to put EVERYTHING into the story...which of course doesn't appear until months after the seminar (in recent years, as late as June or July before the NEXT GenCon in August).
It has a tendency to turn into "I can suggest something raunchier or sillier than the last audience member who spoke," but it's all in good fun (except perhaps for the beleaguered WotC staffer who acts as scribe each year, inputting all the shouted suggestions into a computer file for Ed to work from), and Ed has generated some surprisingly entertaining tales for us all to read, over the years.

love,
THO

Thank you for filling me in. Do you happen to know if Ed will be signing books this year? Like at a booth with set times and not just if someone with books and a pen happens to run into him I mean.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  00:59:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Ditto. Every time I think I can make it this year, something else comes up... Maybe next year...

I'm the same.

Any scribe who remembers the debacle of my plan to attend the 2007 GenCon will appreciate why I now make no definitive plans for heading to the US for the convention. It's just easier for me to leave things open until the last minute, and then decide whether I can go.

Besides, the Lady K and I are thinking of using this year's holiday-time from our respective jobs, to visit with her relatives in Brazil, so it's likely that the probability for making it to my first ever GenCon this year has, again, been severely reduced.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  01:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the first time ever, I think I'll be able to get out to GenCon. I think I can get the time off, and anywhere is better than Washington DC in August. Should we CK'ers have a table somewhere or something?

Also, can any GenCon veterans share their wisdom to the newbies regarding things like hotels, parking, con events, etc.? Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  02:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

For the first time ever, I think I'll be able to get out to GenCon. I think I can get the time off, and anywhere is better than Washington DC in August. Should we CK'ers have a table somewhere or something?

Also, can any GenCon veterans share their wisdom to the newbies regarding things like hotels, parking, con events, etc.? Many thanks.

If you are sure you are going you should already be looking for a hotel. I have always stayed with friends or relatives so I have only second hand info on this, but as I understand it the hotels book up real fast. I drive to and from Avon (suburb of Indy just beyond 465) when I stay with my sister. The drive isn't bad (20-30 minutes depending on how much 465 lives up to it's nickname, the speedway). The airport hotels and the hotels in Plainfield (another suburb just beyond 465 and the airport, and right along I-70) would be a comparable distance (actually a shorter distance since they are right on 465/70). The downtown hotels are likely to already be full, from what I have heard (but check anyway to be sure).

As for parking, it's only a concern if you aren't staying downtown. If you drive in like me, you need to get there no later than 9 am if you want a parking spot in what I consider the prime parking garages (the ones connected with minimal walking to the convention center). The earlier the better though. Unfortunately the dealer's hall doesn't open until 10 (unless that changes this year for some reason, in which case adjust your arrival time accordingly) and that seems to be the big event around that time frame (gotta be first in line, after all). Be sure to check the times on the parking garages before you park in them if you plan on staying late downtown because some of them do close. I think, if I am remembering correctly, this is mainly either the ones under the Circle Center Mall or the multi level garage attached to the mall (that's the one I try to park in if I can).

As for events, if at all possible, sign up for your events ahead of time (as in during pre registration) because the lines for badges/events at the con can get a little long (a little long is a gross understatement).

Misc advice: -the food at the con center is horribly expensive. Bring a bottle and fill it up at the fountains unless you enjoy overpriced cokes. If you have to have a Coke, go to the vending machine in the tubes connecting to the Circle Center Mall. The food court in the mall will be packed (with con goers) around lunch, but the food is quite a bit cheaper (and you have a lot more options). There is also a Steak and Shake on a ground floor outside corner across from the mall. There are also a number of higher priced restaurants in the area if that is your preferrence.

-In years past I have managed to snag a locker and I keep plenty of change so I can keep using it (coin operated key deal). This allowed me to have my dealer hall bag (purchases, stuff I'm trying to sell, etc) and my gaming bag (minis, dice, markers, etc) in the hall instead of having to walk back and forth to my car repeatedly.

-Don't pack every waking minute of your schedule. Leave some time to walk around and take it all in. Leave some time to just roam the Dealer's Hall. Try some new games. You may find something there that catches your eye and you want to sample it, talk about it, whatever. Check out the folks in costumes, maybe even go to the contest on Saturday. They had belly dancers last year for pre show entertainment if you enjoy that kind of thing (and really, who doesn't).

-Consider some of the seminars. They can be informative. You can likely catch all of the details later online, but it's different hearing it from the horse's mouth.

-Check out the GenCon forums to find out about some of the activities that aren't heavily advertised. I was let down to find out the theater in the mall was running Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, after they ran it.

-Bring a camera. There are many wonders to be seen and you will want to look at/share them later. There are also some that you will wish you could unsee (like when my friend felt the need to point out to me a woman that was flowing out of a chainmail bikini, her only attire, in all the wrong places). Take pictures of those things at your peril. If people in costume pose at your request, it probably goes without saying but it is good form to thank them.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  02:43:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Hotels & Parking - Either get hotel within walking distance (they'll usually have free parking at the hotel) or get a hotel within driving distance and pay the $25++ a day for parking. Driving back and forth can be cheaper, but it is also more of a logistical nightmare. This year, me and my friends are splurging and staying at the newly built JW Marriott that is catty-corner across the intersection to the Convention Center. It's also the "official" headquarters for Catalyst Game Labs at the con, so we'll be bugging the hell -- I mean trying to help out the BattleTech/Shadowrun teams.

My bit of advice to everyone on their first (or fifth, or fiftieth time): Don't fill you time with pre-purchased event tickets!! Grab the 3-4 games that you REALLY want to be a part of (or that sell out quick, like the True Dungeons or Call of Cthulhu Tourney), but leave the rest of the time open. If you want in on a game that you haven't pre-purchased, you'll usually be able to get by on generic tickets sold at the con, or even buying the listed event tix at the booth itself.

Second bit of advice, especially for the newbs. Don't schedule anything for Thursday morning. Go to the exhibition hall around 8:30 and wait for the doors to open (usually around 9:30-10:00). You will be struck dumb by the sheer amount of awesomeness of dice, games, figures and everything else and you WILL find the hours (and, most likely, the dollars) fly buy on your first visit.

Last bit of advice: Cardio. It may not seem like it, but I recommend doing some walking for the weeks leading up to the con. We're not talking about you getting into marathon shape, but you will be spending 80% of the four days on your feet, so it's better if you're get used to it before heading out there.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  02:53:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All great advice, so I'll only add a little.
The weather in Indy at GenCon time can sometimes run to downpours, so if you have the cash for a downtown hotel, bear in mind which ones are connected to the con center by covered skywalk (some are quite roundabout, i.e. through the Circle Center Mall; there's a stylized map online of them all, that you can see at the Greater Indy Convention Center website, linked through the GenCon site). Ditto parking garages.
BTW, it REALLY matters Saturday night if the Colts are playing a "home" exhibition game (in which case the downtown can become a madhouse) or an "away" game.
There are NO full supermarkets within easy walking distance of the con center. There are some variety stories to the north (Monument Circle), and of course Walgreen's etc. in the Circle Center Mall. There's a Subway chain restaurant and an okay bar tucked into the back of the Hyatt (north/state capital side, as opposed to south/front of con center side). There's a front lobby Starbucks in the (older) Marriott, which can be accessed by a skyway straight across from the main entrance to the con exhibit hall. The Marriott has HUGE washrooms off the elevator lobby at that second-floor level, too, which are always cleaner than the con center ones (both genders, and YES, I've checked ).
Tyrant is right on to suggest you not cram your schedule too full. There are always free seminars, stuff going on in the halls, and shopping shopping shopping in the exhibit hall, to fill up your time.
If you have the bucks, there are many restaurants and bars, but those most popular with gamers (like the RAM) can have long waits at height-of-con times.
Everything handy in the way of food can be pricey, but if over 20 bucks for a breakfast buffet doesn't shock you, the Marriott has a good "fillup" breakfast buffet.
There are also two eateries gamers never seem to discover, a block north and a block west of the con center, in the two museums that adjoin Green River (the Eiteljorg native museum has a bronze running deer sculpture on its lawn, and they share underground parking in a garage few gamers seem to discover, too). So if you need to find some quiet...
If you like your hotels funky, check out the renovated former Union Station, on the east side of the con center, where you can stay in Pullman cars permanently parked INSIDE the hotel if you want to (but don't have to; they have "regular rooms," too). I can't remember the hotel name, but it's on that map I mentioned earlier.

Tyrant, Ed WILL be doing signings this year, probably in the Author's Alley "main tables" but with "set," announced times (to launch BURY ELMINSTER DEEP for Wizards, for one, though I'm sure he'll happily sign others). Also, he'll probably be at the Gaming Paper booth and wherever Gabrielle Harbowy sets up in the Author's Alley tables at some set times, too. Or you could, yes, catch him at an event or just in the halls; if he's not racing to be at a seminar or other event he's supposed to run/appear at, he'll happily make the time to stop and chat and sign.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tyrant, Ed WILL be doing signings this year, probably in the Author's Alley "main tables" but with "set," announced times (to launch BURY ELMINSTER DEEP for Wizards, for one, though I'm sure he'll happily sign others). Also, he'll probably be at the Gaming Paper booth and wherever Gabrielle Harbowy sets up in the Author's Alley tables at some set times, too. Or you could, yes, catch him at an event or just in the halls; if he's not racing to be at a seminar or other event he's supposed to run/appear at, he'll happily make the time to stop and chat and sign.
love,
THO

Thanks again. I was hoping he would have a set time/location. I've tried and failed two years in a row to find Tracy Hickman (when I wasn't busy with other events) to sign a few of my Dragonlance books. I found Margaret Weis just fine, but I couldn't ever find Tracy and a number of hardbacks start to get heavy after a while. I also imagine that as much as Ed enjoys interacting with fans that he has places he wants to be as well so I would imagine a fixed time and place works better for him too. Will he/WotC have copies of Bury Elminster Deep on hand for sale? Or should I try to get a copy before hand if I am going to try to get him to sign it too?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:32:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the time, the authors will have a couple copies on hand in Author's Alley. But, it does depend on the author and other variables... Ed, Keith Baker and Michael Stackpole all had copies of their latest on my last visit in 2009.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:40:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Most of the time, the authors will have a couple copies on hand in Author's Alley. But, it does depend on the author and other variables... Ed, Keith Baker and Michael Stackpole all had copies of their latest on my last visit in 2009.

The only books I have ever had signed were some of my Dragonlance books and it was after they were published (in other words, not at any kind of release/promotion type situation). So, I hope this isn't a silly question, but do they sell these books (if they have them on hand) for a situation like this where they are promoting a just-released book, or are they just handing them out? I am assuming that they are selling them, but I figured I would ask.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  04:00:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, it all depends on the author and other considerations. I can say Keith gave my friends and I the latest copy (in 2009) of his Eberron novel, but that had more to do with the fact that no one seemed to know he was there ready to sign things.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  17:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there.

Good advice listed above. I suggest trying to travel light at the Con--don't go for the big jacket or the really big bag, as it bogs you down if you're walking around carrying things that are too hot/heavy.

As for monies, you will probably be most comfortable if you allot a certain $$ stash for food ($12-15 for each meal), another stash for gaming products (however much you want to spend, and don't be surprised if you overspend yourself). I've come to view it over the years as just one of those things where you're going to spend money.

As for where/what to eat, the RAM is a classic tradition, and you should give it a shot at one point at least. Try some of the other surrounding restaurants, but expect to pay a decent amount. One of the things I do is to take a bunch of healthy snack-type food of my own (granola bars, apples, etc) to supplement eating two meals a day (often breakfast buffet at the Marriott and dinner, or snack for breakfast then early lunch and dinner).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  17:52:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I can go there someday soon enough, this is one of those events I'd really want to see before I'm too oldie

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  18:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Touching on THO's and Erik's weather related comments, as a native I can tell you that (barring some odd weather) August weather in Indiana is basically really hot, not quite as hot, or raining (and likely still hot). More often than not, you can add moderately to greatly humid to that equation. It does seem to be more humid farther south where I live, but it is usually noticeably so in Indy as well. There are occasionally freak weather conditions where it is cool out, but I haven't ever needed a jacket in Indy in August. By hot I mean anywhere from upper 80s to upper 90s/low 100s, usually with humidity. If you're indoors all day you won't really notice and at night it usually cools back down. Last year it looks like August saw highs from 84-97, so it can vary quite a bit. And from what I can tell relative humidity seems to average 70-90% depending on the time of day so it will feel hotter than it is and get kind of sticky.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  19:12:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Touching on THO's and Erik's weather related comments, as a native I can tell you that (barring some odd weather) August weather in Indiana is basically really hot, not quite as hot, or raining (and likely still hot). More often than not, you can add moderately to greatly humid to that equation. It does seem to be more humid farther south where I live, but it is usually noticeably so in Indy as well. There are occasionally freak weather conditions where it is cool out, but I haven't ever needed a jacket in Indy in August. By hot I mean anywhere from upper 80s to upper 90s/low 100s, usually with humidity. If you're indoors all day you won't really notice and at night it usually cools back down. Last year it looks like August saw highs from 84-97, so it can vary quite a bit. And from what I can tell relative humidity seems to average 70-90% depending on the time of day so it will feel hotter than it is and get kind of sticky.

Heh, so in other words, I'd feel right at home. That's the same weather I see down here in Florida.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  20:07:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyrant, Ed WILL have set, announced signing times. They just haven't be finalized yet.
The way Wizards has run the "launch" signings (like Ed's) the last few years is: until they run out of copies, those who line up for the new one at an announced signing get free copies of that new book (only). But that doesn't mean you can't line up, get that new book, AND have other books signed, though the folks running the event sometimes put limits on how many you can sign at once.
On the other hand, I can recall Ed signing five or six for a man who literally brought a dolly of boxed books, then arranging to meet with the guy off in a corner the moment the signing was done, to sign the rest.
Tracy is often harder to find at GenCon. Perhaps catching him after the Killer Breakfast (at which, BTW, breakfast is NOT served)?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tyrant, Ed WILL have set, announced signing times. They just haven't be finalized yet.
The way Wizards has run the "launch" signings (like Ed's) the last few years is: until they run out of copies, those who line up for the new one at an announced signing get free copies of that new book (only). But that doesn't mean you can't line up, get that new book, AND have other books signed, though the folks running the event sometimes put limits on how many you can sign at once.
On the other hand, I can recall Ed signing five or six for a man who literally brought a dolly of boxed books, then arranging to meet with the guy off in a corner the moment the signing was done, to sign the rest.
Tracy is often harder to find at GenCon. Perhaps catching him after the Killer Breakfast (at which, BTW, breakfast is NOT served)?
love,
THO

I see. I've got 4 of his books that I planned on bringing to see if I could get signed so hopefully that won't go beyond any set limit. Are the signing times/locations usually announced/posted online prior to the con? I did catch that you said they aren't set yet for this year, I meant in general. I can't recall (mainly because the person I was previously looking for I thought I could find at a booth), but I know they are in the GenCon book that is at the show.

Does Ed usually encourage/desire any type of brief comments/questions/conversation while signing? I know time is at a premium when dealing with people waiting in a line and I honestly don't know off hand what I would say/ask about but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the tip on trying to find Tracy and the other help thus far.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  23:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant
Are the signing times/locations usually announced/posted online prior to the con? I did catch that you said they aren't set yet for this year, I meant in general.

The signing rotation will be up on the GenCon website (attend > events > author's alley > book signings, to get to the schedule) and in the printed con program guide. At the moment, that page says: "We will have a schedule available as we get closer to the show and of course posted onsite as well."

quote:

Does Ed usually encourage/desire any type of brief comments/questions/conversation while signing? I know time is at a premium when dealing with people waiting in a line and I honestly don't know off hand what I would say/ask about but I thought I would ask.

Ed is a super friendly guy. Even when time is limited, he's usually happy to make an interaction of it, not just a transaction. Definitely say hello and tell him you're a CK'er, at the least.

--
Gabrielle Harbowy
scribe and editrix
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  23:45:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That reminds me...

There are TWO Killer Breakfasts this year, giving you twice the opportunity to die horrib- I mean entertain Tracy, crew and audience!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  00:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle_H
The signing rotation will be up on the GenCon website (attend > events > author's alley > book signings, to get to the schedule) and in the printed con program guide. At the moment, that page says: "We will have a schedule available as we get closer to the show and of course posted onsite as well."

Thanks. I guess I should take my own advice and read the GenCon page a little more.
quote:

Ed is a super friendly guy. Even when time is limited, he's usually happy to make an interaction of it, not just a transaction. Definitely say hello and tell him you're a CK'er, at the least.

--
Gabrielle Harbowy
scribe and editrix

Good to know. I don't know what I would say beyond hi and that I really enjoy the world he created (and his novels), but it's good to know that he enjoys talking to fans.

Edit: Just to note on the weather comments, all of that was about the outdoor temp/humidity. Indoors can vary wildly depending on which building you are in. Some are moderately warm (the dealer's hall can get warm with thousands of people milling about) while others can be cold as they try to combat the heat outside by turning the AC dial to 11. Cold doesn't bother me much so I am usually comfortable, others may not be.

-The Sith Code

Edited by - Tyrant on 28 Apr 2011 01:17:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2011 :  22:36:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I have attended other cons, this year was to be my very first GenCon and I was looking forward to it it with much anticipation. I even had all my arrangements made.

Alas, life decided to blind-side me with a major tragedy and I very much doubt I will be able to attend.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2011 :  23:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your tragedy Markustay. You've got my best wishes and I hope things get better.

As for me, I'm hoping my health will allow me to return to GenCon. I figure if I can rent a wheelchair for the weekend, I should be able to actually have the stamina to GM with my gaming group, NASCRAG - as well as to see to other parts of the con.

I've missed five in a row and those are the only GenCon's I've missed since my wedding 24 years ago. My first GenCon was the one they held at the Playboy Resort in Lake Geneva (1978 IIRC). It's time I got back.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  01:19:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This year isn't likely to happen - although given the strength of the Aussie dollar, I'm crazy not to try and find a way. But some home renovations and a family interstate trip will smash the budget so it's not to be.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  04:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markus: Nothing but sympathies, man. Pulling for you!

@Krash: You would be very welcome, sir!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  05:36:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Krash: You would be very welcome, sir!
Maybe Krash and I could organise/lead an Australian contingent for next year's GenCon?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Apr 2011 05:37:10
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  05:47:13  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go... but I cant afford to travel to Indy from Albuquerque.

so any autographed novels, source books will either be signed via mail with a returned address envelope or will cash will be sent for item ....

or they will not be signed at all....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  17:18:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I WISH I had something left to autograph. I think only Wooly here would comprehend what I am currently going through.

Anyhow, I hope everyone has a great time anyway - I would have loved to meet Ed and all the rest of you. There is still an outside chance I will make it, but I sincerely doubt it.

@Erik - Dude, your novel is the ONLY thing I still own.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2011 18:33:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000