Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Merc's
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  16:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How much does it cost to hire Duke eltan's Flaming fists? And do they have a code of honor that they follow?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  17:23:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would likely depend on level and talents. Hiring the Duke clearly would cost more then a new recruit just out of basic training.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  18:32:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per page 11 of Gold & Glory:

quote:
The Flaming Fist is motivated by both gold and glory, though Duke Eltan does prefer to stem chaos rather than promote it.
The Fist negotiates contracts wisely and adheres to them stringently; woe to the employer who tries to cheat them.

and

quote:
Hiring the entire Flaming Fist costs 10,000 gp per day, with smaller divisions costing a proportionate amount.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Apr 2011 18:41:02
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  18:48:56  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

According to the Grey boxed set (DM's Sourcebook of the Realms, p34) the Flaming Fists costs 10,000 gp/per day plus plunder. But they don't start charging until they directly enter service and they provide their own transportation.

FR15 Gold and Glory (p9-11) gives the same cost, though it says smaller divisions of the company cost less.

Gold and Glory is th best source for mercenary companies in the Realms, but I did an article that details three more companies that is still available on Candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/redknight.htm

I've also run a PBEM game in the Realms, Mercs, that follows a mercenary company as it advnetures across Faerun. It's a small company, around 150 or so cavalry, and the PCs are all the company's officers. That game has run in Realms time from 1 Elient 1367 DR and is currently at 3 Uktar 1369. They have generally negotiated fees according to the job, bargaining with their employers. I think the Flaming Fist and other merc companies would nargain as well, and the Gold and Glory fees are more their average fees than a hard number they always require.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  11:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10,000gp a day thats a bit high but probably worth it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  03:21:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10k sounds like a lot...but that is essentially just $10K in one way of looking at it. That is only $300,000 a month (roughly) for the Entire Flaming Fist...

Compared to today's prices for mercenary armies, that is a drop in the bucket!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  09:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you have such price! You choose the best mercenaries on the Sword Coast with great authority and super equipment. They are one of the best. Expect big price.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  13:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would make for an interesting story line if some rich waterdavian noble hired them to tkae out the shadovar.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  13:59:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not even the flaming fist is silly enought to embark on such an assignment. When a few Chosen have problems with them, well even a large standing and well trained group such as the fist would be hard pressed against their forces. Besides, how many people are involved/employed with the flaming fist?
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  14:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

It would make for an interesting story line if some rich waterdavian noble hired them to tkae out the shadovar.

I don't think the Flaming Fist alone is needed to take down the shadovar.

This reminds me of the last campaign I ran, I had the idea of the players raising an army (like in DA:O) to drive of the shadovar back to the plane of shadows. The players made alliances with the church of Selûne and the elves of Evereska but unfortunately the campaign ended after that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000