Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Draconomicon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  04:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This has just recently come out. I just saw it in a game shop today and it looked pretty good. Whos has it and what should we expect.

And overall is it worth it.

Edited by - Alaundo on 24 Aug 2004 09:35:58

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  07:16:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about purchasing this tome (it doesn't come out here for another week), but I rarely use dragons in my FR campaigns, and besides the DLCS has a great system for using Dragons in campaigns anyway, and it can be changed to work with most settings. Plus I still use some of the material from the 2e FR Draconomicon. Still, I have a week to decide...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Nov 2003 07:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  17:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yay, ive JUST got back from the store and picked a copy up, havent opened it yet (had to check the forums, first things first ). Also got:

The Sapphire Crescent (Scions of Arrabar book 1, by Thomas M Reid)
Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Avatar Series book 5)
The Best of the Realms, book 1Ravenloft Players Handbook

Ill try to report back with info on Draconomicon. Although remember it is generic D&D, not like the old FR product of the same title.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  17:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool I cant way to hear a report on it, When i saw it in the game shop i almost had to tell them they needed a mop to clean up my drool. I didn't know about it until i saw it.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  20:47:28  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GGGRRRRRR......
* Is very envious that other seem to have a nearby game shop they can stop in and check for new stuff....*

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  20:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!
First impressions from the past hour or so that ive spent with the book are very high!! WotC have really done a good one with this!

Excellent detail on dragons and each variety of dragon is depicted very individually. It really fleshes them out and sets each type apart from the others which will certainly aid in presenting their characteristics and appearances in a campaign.

The artwork is fantastic too! I always thought Jeff Easley did amazing dragons, but Tood Lockwood has taken the title with these!

Anyway, cant sit here typing scribing, more chapters of Draconomicon to get through! Oh, and to set it apart from the FR product of the same name, this core D&D books full title is Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 06 Nov 2003 20:51:46
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  22:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

GGGRRRRRR......
* Is very envious that other seem to have a nearby game shop they can stop in and check for new stuff....*

What im just a minute walk away from one.

Thanks for the info Rad i was probably going to buy it anyway, but the report has know set it in stone.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  15:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if this tome contains any specific information about dragon history or the dragon pantheon? Also, does it give any reference to any specific dragons?

This book intrigues me but i'm leary as to how useful it will be.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  16:36:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

Does anyone know if this tome contains any specific information about dragon history or the dragon pantheon? Also, does it give any reference to any specific dragons?

This book intrigues me but i'm leary as to how useful it will be.

If you head over to ENWorld's message boards, there is a thread there that contains information on the contents of this product.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  08:44:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maecenus of Westgate, the Draconomicon does indeed have a section on the religion of Dragons...about six pages worth of details on the various draconic deities, their clergy and temples. What I will say about this is, the surprising demotion of Io to Intermediate Deity status???.

As for write-ups on any specific dragons, the answer is, sadly no. There are however about 120 sample ready-to-play NPC Dragons for use in your campaigns

If anyone else wants any details about anything in this tome, just post it here. I'm sure either Rad or myself will answer it sooner or later.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  13:14:40  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Maecenus of Westgate, the Draconomicon does indeed have a section on the religion of Dragons...about six pages worth of details on the various draconic deities, their clergy and temples. What I will say about this is, the surprising demotion of Io to Intermediate Deity status???.

Not surprising really considering how mnuch more advanced dragons consider themselves when compared to humans.

I'm more surprised Ao is in there at all?
Go to Top of Page

Stevie
Acolyte

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  06:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Stevie's Homepage Send Stevie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original 2nd edition version was an excellent tome, great for fleshing out those nasty beasts.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  14:25:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly, WOTC is advertising a chat with this book's designers on the WOTC messageboards. An FYI for any individuals wishing to go and learn more information about the product.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  08:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carried over from here, per Alaundo's request.

quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

I personally loved the section in the new Draconomicon about Draconic physiology. It really gave me the impression that someone thought a lot about this book and that a lot of effort was put in it to make it good, and useful. Also I think the deities section int eh new one was much better than the old one.

My copy hasn't arrived yet. But that reminds me of an old dragon site I found years ago: Here Be Dragons!, a very well-done exploration of the second most common mythological creature in the entire world. (My conclusion, anyway.)

Anyway, you might be interested in the Physiology page. It's hardly likely to be on par with The Draconomicon, but this one's still impressive to me.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  18:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just gotten my copy of this book (since it was kept by my father until my birthday . . . well, he did pay for it). I'll post a review when I've read it through. So far, it looks rather interesting, though most of it would be unusable for the average party/campaign.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  04:36:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite part of the book was the section at the end where for the major dragon types, a sample dragon was detailed with background information as well as statistics. Some very colorful, no pun intended, dragons in that section.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  06:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it certainly looks good, and offers a lot of versatility to a dragon campaign (as oppposed to a simple cameo, which can be done without this book). Most of it all is unusable for the average campaign.

The art is wonderful, though. And I'm not the only one. My niece (a three-year-old wyrmling) loves it too. She keeps pointing at the paintings and saying "That's my fav'rite one."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  08:42:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what singly impressed me the most with the Draconomicon was the coherent attention the designers had to nearly all the related 'Dragon' facts that have come before this tomes publication. It's not often that you can tell WotC have done a lot of background and previous edition research when they release a new tome...especially one that had a counterpart in the former edition of the game.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  15:06:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
It's not often that you can tell WotC have done a lot of background and previous edition research when they release a new tome...

Yes, I concur. I don't know if it was the coordination, research, editing, or all of the above. But, the book's focus was very tight. Plus Bookwyrm and his niece have wonderful taste. The art was great.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  16:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, one of my favorites is this one. Wonderful use of color.

I've gone through the standard rules-a-palooza, looking through all the feats and PrCs. Hardly anything useful there in a standard campaign. Some of the feats might be, but I doubt it. Some spells, possibly. (Especially arcane spells, and they're even more appropriate for a sorcerer who actively clames a bit of dragon ancestory.)

The physiology I'm still going through, and I must say that I haven't seen this much fluffy goodness in a 3e tome before, even counting the FRCS. One thing I like is how they keep the rules on physiology off in the sidebars, which can get pretty big (there's one that fills a whole page, which defeats the name "sidebar"), but doesn't interfere with the nice in-character discussion. I like how it points out false information that can still be picked up by a PC.

Anyway, this book ought to have a subtitle: "More than you can use about dragons." Not that I'm complaining at this point.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  18:23:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
I must say that I haven't seen this much fluffy goodness in a 3e tome before, even counting the FRCS.

I hope that's a sign of the direction WOTC will be going with regarding future products. If ENWorld's messageboard is to be believed, the next book will feature undead. I know that such a product has been released before by Mongoose. Still it will be interesting to see WOTC's take on the subject matter.

And speaking of ENWorld, I hope the Draconomicon gets noticed for art, cover, etc., when they look for their award nominations.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  02:18:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it would be a nice hope to believe that this trend will continue.

The Draconomicon has really set a higher standard now, against which all the new WotC products will be judged I believe. Content, appearance and relativity of use will be just some of the factors that most gamers will take under consideration when evaluating newly released material.

I've even heard that the Complete Arcane tome will take those series of tomes in a different direction in terms of an in-depth analysis of the class involved...I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  02:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
My copy hasn't arrived yet. But that reminds me of an old dragon site I found years ago: Here Be Dragons!, a very well-done exploration of the second most common mythological creature in the entire world. (My conclusion, anyway.)

Really? What's the first most common mythological creature?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  02:33:18  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kobolds! It just has to be!

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  07:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, they're limited to northwestern Europe. Although "short folk" have popped up all over the world, and often as good builders. And, of course, as bringers of luck. Good, like England's brownies, and bad, like Hawaii's menahoonies. (Which my mother jokes must have followed our family from when we used to live there. )

You could argue that gremlins are the real little-bad-luck-bringers, but they're a 20th century invention, courtesy of the fledgling RAF. It was used at the end of World War II and for many years afterwards to jokingly explain mechanical failures in airplanes. The actual name came from a combination of "Grimm" and the last bit of the name of a beer that escapes me now. (I can't find my book. ) Anyway, the joke/story is that the guy who said little monsters were interferring with his plane was told by his team mates he'd been reading too much of Grimm's Fairy Tales while drinking that beer.

But, as I said, that's not the most common mythological creature. The one that gets top billing is actually the vampire, or other vampiric creatures. The modern version of the vampire is a conglomeration of the vampiric legends of eastern Europe and western Asia. There's also a D&D bloodsucking undead creature (the name escapes me -- it's a flying head with a hanging digestive tract) that comes from India. In some cultures, it's mixed with what we'd call the succubus; in many others, only women become vampires (and always women who didn't obey men -- fancy that).

Forget "blood is the life" -- blood is the myth. It's everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  00:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The penangallan, Bookwyrm.(And I think I horribly misspelled that...)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  08:16:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the Pen-an-ggalan...

I believe that this small treatise, will provide more information for those who wish to know more...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  03:24:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Draconomicon: the Book of Dragons just received two Origins Award Nominations for Best Roleplaying Supplement and Best Graphic Design in Book Format. The following has a full list of nominations:

http://www.originsawards.com/nominees.html

Some stiff competition in the two categories listed above.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  07:52:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like most, I was fully expecting this nomination so I'm not surprised. You're right about the competition though Sirius. I purchased a copy of the A Magical Medieval Society tome shortly after it's release. It's an impressive work, and one that works well with the original Ars Magica game. Not only that, but it provides a wealth of detail for those looking to include such high-magic societies in their campaigns.

The Skull & Bones tome I've encountered only through the borrowing from a friend. From what I've read, it's definitely another tome that I'd add to by purchases list. Unfortunately it's particularly hard to find here, so I choose to take that as a sign of it's remarkable nature and popularity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000