Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You Live In The Underdark ... What Scares You?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  17:03:52  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

My adventurers will shortly be venturing into an area of the Underdark inhabited by a large tribe of mongrelfolk. The mongrelfolk are under the subjugation (both magical and psychological) of a powerful sorcerer. In the centre of their territory is a long tunnel that leads to the lair of ... something. Fear of this beastie keeps the mongrelfolk in line. The sorcerer seems to have some kind of power over it, or at least he makes it appear so ...

I'm seeking a suitable monster, and I'd like something a little unusual. Something big, solitary and dangerous, with a habit of hunting puny humanoids.

Any suggestions?

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  17:12:10  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a Deepspawn? One that has "absorbed" not only many of the mongrelmen, but also the original sorcerer.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  17:20:03  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice idea Eltheron, but the sorcerer already has quite a complicated backstory which I wouldn't want to mess with. The notion I have is that if his mongrelman peons get out of line, he threatens to call the monster from its lair (and the mongrelfolk are TERRIFIED of it). I imagine it charging furiously down its tunnel to wreak havoc.

I don't think Deepspawn do much charging :-) It seems they prefer to wait for their dinner to come to them!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  17:26:50  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This web page has a lot of ideas for underdark denizens:

http://drowcampaign.roleplaynexus.com/underdarkdenizens.html

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  17:32:18  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Radiant quasielementals

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  18:33:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an issue of Dragon that detailed a critter called the elghonn, something that was described as scaring drow matron mothers. It was in Dragon Annual 1.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  18:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a fondness for purple worms, though how the sorcerer's kept it from just eating through the wall and wandering off in a random direction is something that would need to be answered.

For the Nightmare Fuel variety, you could always go with an urophion (sp? I'm afb, it's what happens when an illithid tadpole grows up... without a form donor. Seriously scary stuff).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  19:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This pre or post spellplague? If its post, consider making the creature a spellscarred or plaguechanged monster. It adds a whole new level of mutant creepy to the situation. Especially plaguechanged, because that can be literally anything. The campaign guide mentions a dwarf, regular dwarf, who became a plaguechanged; he transformed into a mile long psionic ooze devoid of personality.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  19:54:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm a Drow? My mother.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:05:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are playing 1e, I'd go with a Dragon...no joke. I know it becomes somewhat redundant...but this is a D&D game! The Magic-User could have charmed it or it may be subdued to the fella's will.

If playing 2e, I really don't have a good suggestion as I didn't much care for that version of the game...

If playing 3e, I'd go with a Fiendish Dire Cave-Bear! Easy enough to take a Dire-Bear and tack on a template and viola! Such a beast could give the party a major run for its money, isn't all that bright in the brains department (so its Will Save might be where the Sorceror could keep it chained) and nothing says "OH HELLS! Did that bear just breath fire at me!"

EDIT:

Forgot 4e...but for that I would need to know more about the party.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 31 Mar 2011 20:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:09:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harpers. If ye spot one anywhere in the Underdark then just surrender or flee, for there is surely a Chosen of Mystra somewhere nearby. ("You haven't even got a name tag! Why don't you just lie down?")

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  22:08:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiendish Basilisk or Truly Horrid Umberhulk.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  22:29:22  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The... dark itself.

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  01:31:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A beverage called "the Great Elixir" which is served in Sshamath.

Think about it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  02:04:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deep Dragons, big ones with rotting flesh and milky eyes.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  03:16:46  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for some great suggestions, although I want to avoid creatures with tunnelling abilities, as it rather diverts from the idea of them crawling/charging/slithering/gslloping out of that long, dark tunnel. It's pre-spellplague, vaguely 3rd edition, thus far a fiendish cave bear or basilisk would fit the bill fairly well; I think a deep dragon might be a little too powerful and too obvious. I've also been considering a really big grell (perhaps 12 HD thereabouts) with some interesting alternations, perhaps some psionic abilities and a lightning lance.

Aleksander suggests the dark itself - actually that might be such a bad idea, I'm toying with the idea that the beast might actually have died some years previously, unbeknown to the mongrelfolk. Should the PCs choose to explore its lair, maybe they'll just find its bones, or even better, its ghost!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  03:21:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts, spectres, and apparitions floating through the darkness would be pretty awful. I'm not sure if they'd be invisible or actually radiate their own palpable light or darkness. Shadows and wraiths would be invisible, though ironically, they might require a light source to exist. I never really thought about it ... lol, can a ghost be used as a light source?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  03:58:59  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine something that is highly Beastial, and which is fast and strong. a terrible monster. perhaps a Cave Giant (Maur), or maybe even some type of Dinosaur. the last idea I have is a Gulgathydra (it's like a cross between a Hydra and an Ottyugh).

on the other hand, you could also use more intelligent creature that the Sorcerer has some kind of pact with. good examples are a psionic creature, a Fiend of some sort, or a Dragon.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  04:16:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a Nightwalker? It's big, nasty, and would scare just about any party. Twenty foot tall giant black humanoid charging down the tunnel? Sounds like pants-wetting time to me....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  04:26:08  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeh... but I don't think there is any way that a Sorcerer of anything less than epic-level could command one of those. ._. there isn't anything he could offer it that it couldn't get on it's own, and it is unlikely he could overpower one.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  04:56:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eathquakes

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  05:03:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who says it has to be commanded? Maybe it was sent by someone else to aid him, or he made a deal with it. (I can think of plenty of things he could acquire or do for it that it can't.) Perhaps it is trapped somehow, possibly due to the configuration of the caverns themselves. (Cause anything that big wouldn't be able to use normal-sized doors and tunnels, but cave-ins and other alterations to the tunnels might have imprisoned it.)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  05:07:07  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the way I see it, what better place to use it's connection to the Shadow Plane than the Faerunian Underdark (which has the easiest access to the Shadow Plane in that setting)? seriously, it is not likely that it has gotten stuck.

but I'm curious what things the Sorcerer could provide that etices it to play along rather than just slaughter the mage and his Mongrelfolk?

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  05:23:43  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly a nightwalker would be too powerful for my adventurers at the moment. The sorcerer is not particularly high level, she's able to charm enough mongrelfolk to keep them in line with ease, but wouldn't have the ability to command a nightwalker, and based on her rather particular backstory, she wouldn't have anything to offer it in return for obedience.

I'm more drawn towards the bestial, low intelligence side of the monster spectrum. The gulgahydra is a particularly good idea; thanks all for sharing your ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  05:55:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a shadow mastiff, then? Not TOO high powered, and it would still make a fairly frightening beast to go against. Give it a couple of extra hit-dice, and you've got a good opponent that can still be controlled. Or a shadow-cat would work, too. Perhaps a vampire lairs there? It might work well with the sorcerer in exchange for the occasional mongrel man snack. If she can charm them, she could occasionally send one into the vampire's lair, and in return, it might offer service or protection.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  15:46:36  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Certainly a nightwalker would be too powerful for my adventurers at the moment. The sorcerer is not particularly high level, she's able to charm enough mongrelfolk to keep them in line with ease, but wouldn't have the ability to command a nightwalker, and based on her rather particular backstory, she wouldn't have anything to offer it in return for obedience.

I'm more drawn towards the bestial, low intelligence side of the monster spectrum. The gulgahydra is a particularly good idea; thanks all for sharing your ideas.

Nightwalkers must be terrifying wherever you meet them. If you worry about it being too powerful for you party, tune the CR down a notch.

If you want to go for the more monstrous encounter try combining stuff, or change the monster's abilities/appearance to throw the party off.
When my party ventured into the Underdark, albeit for a very short time, i was in need of something similar of what you want. I found the Grey Render suitable. Massive, bestial, roaring, ripping and certainly charging monster. I simply changed some of it's abilities, to have it match a Underdark environment. Made it's skin dark, gave it superior smell and hearing, even gave it a phase shift ability (which my party was high level enough to handle, but it could prove rather difficult if your party is a bit low level).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  16:50:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the tarrasque fit into a deepspawn?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  17:08:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Would the tarrasque fit into a deepspawn?

Quoted for effect.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  17:38:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go big or go home, right? There might be a few bigger monsters, but I think cloning the Tarrasque would suffice.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  18:23:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about the tarrasque if I was in the Underdark... The majority of the tunnels and caverns are too small for it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  18:25:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I wouldn't worry about the tarrasque if I was in the Underdark... The majority of the tunnels and caverns are too small for it.

Nothing says "tunneling" like a vorpal bite!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000