Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Scourge of the Slave Lords
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  00:42:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How would you various DMs place this series of AWESOME adventures in your Forgotten Realms? What adaptations would you make to "make it fit" in your Realms?

I'm looking at the Moonsea area myself, but only just started thinking about it.

What would the rest of you do? Where?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  01:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly the Slavelords was the favorite of my players. we placed our campaign in the Realms begging with pirates ravaging Sembia, moving on to intrigue in the coastal cities of the Vast, adding in a Dungeon module in the Sea of Fallen stars where a green dragon rules a tropical island inhabited by orcs, hobgoblins and evil humans and finishing in a monster-ridden and 3/4th's destroyed Turmish.

The campaign lasted nearly two years (real time) and is still talked about now - almost 6 years later.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 30 Mar 2011 01:19:15
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  01:17:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Certainly the Slavelords was the favorite of my players. Set in the Realms against a backdrop of pirates ravaging Sembia, intrigue in the coastal cities ofthe Vast, and ending in a monster-ridden and 3/4th's destroyed Turmish. The campaign lasted nearly two years (real time) and is still talked about now - almost 6 years later.

Sounds awesome! Where did you put the main adventure?

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  03:29:15  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When we ran through it under 3E rules, module 1 was outside Neverwinter and module 2 was in the mountains of northern Amn. The initial quest was being engaged upon by various PCs who were connected to the Daggerford militia. There was high turnover due to some bad teamwork in the first module result in lots of PC deaths. I know when we got into module 2 we ended up captured early on and had to fight our way out. We used the prisoners as a pool for replacement PCs and by the end there were no NPC prisoners at all. 2 PCs negotiated their way out of the adventure the rest were dead. Also, Kyleth Nimmesin was involved (that sick disgustic witch).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  03:53:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to ask! Did anyone use the "Slavers" that was published by WotC in 2000 after they played the original series?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  04:34:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've DM'd the original A Series, merged into another storyline and largely set in the area between "Bloodstone" and Thay. I've also been a player in this series, the DM had set it on the Sword Coast and led us to Amn; he also modified it so that pirates were heavily involved. This same DM later discussed the possibility of running it again, though set in the Sea of Fallen Stars and involving Zhentarim slavers.

These modules are great but kind of simple and shallow, that's why most DMs (that I know) prefer to add some complexity or mix them into other adventure plots.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Mar 2011 04:39:00
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  04:57:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, I'm going to be adding much more NPC character depth into them; as well as subplots and meaningful campaign results for deaths of individuals.

I just love the old modules because they give a ready made framework to move with...and they bring such great memories!

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  14:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Sounds awesome! Where did you put the main adventure?

The main part of the adventure - from the abandoned temple to the city in the mountains was in my version of Turmish. I've always wanted a Realms equivalent of Greyhawks Wild Coast - a formerly civalized area now over run with monsters. The remaining humans are either in league with the humanoids or are an armed resistance, hidding wherever they can. After the Vihon Reach box set came out, saw how I could have one in Turmish and destroyed the country.

The temple and sewer parts of the adventure (A1 basically) were in Alaghun. From there, they followed the slavers trail to a hill fort (A2, with modifications to become involved with the human rebellion) This when along the Halondar trail and then curved off to the village of Five Lions.

From there, the remaing adventure (A3, A4, and what I cherrypicked from Slavelords) took place in the Orsaun Mountains, with a finally deep beneath the Temple of the Earth Dragon, who turned out to be a Deep Dragon cleric of Tiamat. The party killed here offspring and she when on a range, killing anyone she encountered, including 2-3 of the Nine. The rest of the adventure was a race across the mountain lake just ahead of an expanding volcano (as in A4). It was great fun.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  18:43:03  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had any group complete this series. They always manage to get themselves into situations they can't get out of...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  19:11:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you were going to run the entire set of three uber-modules (a total of nine modules, IIRC), then the Monsea region would be your safest bet. At some point you'd have to pull-in Giants and Drow, and both are available around there.

The Slavelords one was the first, right? So the Moonsea is practically a given.

Its been a LONG time since I ran all those GH modules. I've used a number of them in FR, but not those super-series (campaign-arc) ones. I managed to set the Temple of Elemental Evil in the Dales (Moander's Road), along with the Vale of the Mage (around lost Sessrendale).

I'd suggest reading Rich Baker's current series for some good ideas about the area (including that city the drow ruined), and also about the kinds of things one can expect out on the water. Truth be told, I much prefer the 4e Moonsea to the 3e one (the monolithic nature of the Zhents in the region did not make it optimal, IMHO).

That opinion as a DM, NOT as a fan of the setting itself; my two viewpoints often violently differ in this regard.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2011 19:26:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  19:22:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Monolithic"? Not in the home Realms campaign!
The Citadel of the Raven is an open battleground between Zhent factions, most of the time, and the forces of Manshoon are pitted against priests most loyal to Fzoul, who are locked in a bitter struggle with priests most loyal to the High Imperceptor of Bane . . . not to mention the ambitious magelings seeking to win membership in the Brotherhood and impress the heck out of Manshoon in the process (ambitions that he doesn't hesitate to use, to hurl them into can't-win situations . . . and that the mysterious Hesperdan manipulates for his own purposes). Then there's another faction: the Zhentilar, who despise most of the priests and wizards who "command" them (as young, know-nothing, cruel-to-a-fault fools), and who will work against said despised commanders whenever they can do so without getting caught.
That's WHY the Zhents do so poorly in Yulash and Voonlar and Battledale and Mistledale and Shadowdale (not to mention up near Glister and in skirmishes with the flind and with Mulmaster); they're NOT monolithic, but always at war with each other.
We Knights gleefully exploit this whenever we can . . . which is often. It helps keep us alive.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  19:33:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO, I fully understand the differences between Ed's Realms and the published ones - many of the 'balancing factors' were removed, which is why I've had problems running areas like the Moonsea using official products.

I use the word 'monolithic' after re-reading parts of Cloak & Dagger last night (the Zhentish bits), and I would say I used that word correctly in describing the situation there post-Iyachtu Xvim, the Baneson (was he Ed's creation?) Even the leader of Mulmaster had joined the Zhentarrim in that source (and I liked, and USED Mulmaster...)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  20:08:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mulmaster rocks! Although if ye be speaking of the High Blade Selfaril ye will be much disappointed, Markus. The High Blade, though delightfully immoral and ruthless, is sadly more of a figurehead than the real power behind Mulmaster. Quite a patient, reasonable, and forgiving man too, though I believe my players would urgently have ye believe otherwise.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Xvim was Ed's creation, and "in the Realms" for us before the Realms became a published line of products (as opposed to just DRAGON articles). And yes, he was always a refuge for Daddy to possess and survive within, if anything ever happened to Daddy Bane himself. I suspect Ed is less than pleased with exactly how that notion got used and "run with" in the published Realms, but . . . such is the nature of sharing a shared world.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  20:36:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, Xvim was Ed's creation, and "in the Realms" for us before the Realms became a published line of products (as opposed to just DRAGON articles). And yes, he was always a refuge for Daddy to possess and survive within, if anything ever happened to Daddy Bane himself. I suspect Ed is less than pleased with exactly how that notion got used and "run with" in the published Realms, but . . . such is the nature of sharing a shared world.
love,
THO

Really? So Xvim was a backup plan for Bane? I've always assumed he wasn't, because it seems unlikely to me that the ultimate tyrant would plan for his own defeat.

Does my theory that the reborn Bane is actually Xvim in disguise track with Ed's original versions of the two?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  21:19:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its like asking if the whip-cream makes the ice-cream better, or if the ice-cream makes the whip-cream taste better.

Its just easier to realize they are both merely part of the same deliciously evil dish.

In the end, one was always part of the other, and both had the same objectives, and in the end we got a god of tyranny back who wasn't Cyric, so no matter how you look at it, it all works out the same.

I can see your point about it being somewhat more interesting if things "hadn't gone as planned", in regards to who ended-up 'on top'. Once again, I think this has more to do with our different ways of viewing the setting - you as a fan of the lore, and me as a DM - because in-game, it doesn't really matter who's wearing the suit these days (and each DM can spin it his own way).

I also think it was very much in-character for Bane to come up with contingencies - ALL the great tyrants do. The last thing you would want is to lose your power for good (keeping power is part of the tyranny portfolio, I would imagine).

Anyhow, its always great when THO gives us these brief glimpses into Ed's world (and that last part now has the stupid theme of 'Wayne's World' playing in my head).

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2011 21:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  21:32:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have began to ignore many published bits...and began using what I can glean from Ed's own campaign and mixed it in with the original published Realms pre-2nd Edition.

I like hearing about what others do with the modules...but I usually still go with my own ideas.

I just always thought that the Northern Coast of the Moonsea REALLY is a decent match for the Wild Coast; as well as The Vast area. Even "Against the Giants" can fit in the area really well...

I'm also going to be running "Baltron's Beacon" in the area as an add on to the River Lis.

"Tomb of the Lizard King" will be a nice fit as well.

Two that I want to run are "To Find a King" and "The Bane of Llywelyn" but I've yet to find where they might fit and how to mesh them with the area.

I like the idea for the "Temple of Elemental Evil" being in the area; but I may instead ONLY run the "Village of Hommlet" instead.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  21:39:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I7: Baltron's Beacon is one of my fave modules of all time. River Lis is an excellent location for it. I stuck mine on the River Mirabar, had to replace the lizards with dwarves. One of my players became obsessed with the strange magical beacon: I ended up deciding it was a failed (blown-up) experiment involving the creation of an entire wizard's tower from wildfire (Hornung's tower, in fact, lol).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  21:45:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I7: Baltron's Beacon is one of my fave modules of all time. River Lis is an excellent location for it. I stuck mine on the River Mirabar, had to replace the lizards with dwarves. One of my players became obsessed with the strange magical beacon: I ended up deciding it was a failed (blown-up) experiment involving the creation of an entire wizard's tower from wildfire (Hornung's tower, in fact, lol).

Hmmmmm...that is actually a good idea. I hadn't thought of simply replacing the Lizard Men with something else.

I know there are Lizard Men that live near Phlan, but simply not as many as might be called for in the module of "Baltron's Beacon" (as many as 3,000 attacking Lizard Men...Yikes!).

If I want to keep things more on the north coast, I could replace the Lizard Men simply with Orcs, or like Arik, I could replace them with Dwarves...but I have to ask: was your party Evil Arik?

I think placing it in the North Coast might be a better option now...hmmmm...

As for "To Find a King" I've considered running it so that instead of the "people" wanting to restore an overthrown monarchy that they had overthrown...instead the players could be trying to find an heir for the Human Kingdom of Thar.

I'm looking at a long chain of modules right now that I am going to squish together...of course, I don't know if I'm even going to have players when I get to Phoenix.

Anyway, all ideas welcome!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  21:55:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the most part, no, my PC aren't evil-aligned. In theory. Mind ye, they have no love for LG paladins and have run afoul of the Harpers more times than I'd like to admit. (I'd very much prefer having some fun with Red necros or Zhent blasters, but no my players have to keep picking fights with Harpers so I get stuck playing druids and rangers and bards. )

My dwarves weren't really a great fit for I7, the module lost a lot of flavour (although the loss was covered up with a bit of a war, so nobody noticed). I would have really preferred to keep the lizards but Mirabar is a bit too sub-arctic/tundra to explain their presence. Gnolls might make good fillers, or hordes of kobolds ('cuz everybody loves surfing through kobold waves).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  22:31:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the most part, no, my PC aren't evil-aligned. In theory. Mind ye, they have no love for LG paladins and have run afoul of the Harpers more times than I'd like to admit. (I'd very much prefer having some fun with Red necros or Zhent blasters, but no my players have to keep picking fights with Harpers so I get stuck playing druids and rangers and bards. )

My dwarves weren't really a great fit for I7, the module lost a lot of flavour (although the loss was covered up with a bit of a war, so nobody noticed). I would have really preferred to keep the lizards but Mirabar is a bit too sub-arctic/tundra to explain their presence. Gnolls might make good fillers, or hordes of kobolds ('cuz everybody loves surfing through kobold waves).

The only thing I love to kill tons of over Kobolds is Goblins...especially in 1e; those extra attacks per round against creatures with less than one Hit Die is just kinda sick...FUN!...but sick.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  22:52:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye still get those bonus attacks vs wimp creatures in 2E, I thought?

Kobolds are dumber than goblins, they charge, they yelp, they die. (Kobold yelps have been described by one of my "Good-aligned" PCs as sounding "just like the barking noises baby seals make when they're being clubbed").

Goblins are harder to kill in groups. A leader of sorts always seems to emerge in every group, so they get all crafty with traps and ambushes and actually implement some tactics. Hordes of goblins tend to bring a few shamans and beefy champion sorts who can throw off your chopping momentum and actually inflict some damage.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Mar 2011 22:58:28
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  23:19:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ye still get those bonus attacks vs wimp creatures in 2E, I thought?

Kobolds are dumber than goblins, they charge, they yelp, they die. (Kobold yelps have been described by one of my "Good-aligned" PCs as sounding "just like the barking noises baby seals make when they're being clubbed").

Goblins are harder to kill in groups. A leader of sorts always seems to emerge in every group, so they get all crafty with traps and ambushes and actually implement some tactics. Hordes of goblins tend to bring a few shamans and beefy champion sorts who can throw off your chopping momentum and actually inflict some damage.

I wasn't ever a great fan of 2e...only had a couple characters that I liked in that whole rules set.

At any rate...when goblins get smart, they get burned...that is what Fireballs are for!

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  03:51:33  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to put the series in the Lake of Steam, tying them in with the various power groups in Steven Schend's Calimshan work. Since my players are the officers in a merc company I won't follow the plots exactly, but use the locations and NPCs as the foes. :)

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  04:07:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Ed just give us great lore about Yuan-ti in the river Lis? HELLO!

I was actually adding two of those 'C' modules to my Nentir Vale conversion (I had an empty spot in the south I needed to fill). It was going to be C4 & C5 - I thought the celtic-sounding names of stuff would go nicely for an 'ancient Talfir region' (and yeah, it probably would have shoe-horned better in the Moonshaes, but I wasn't working on the Moonshaes...)

If I ever finish that map (and I should - its beautiful) you'll be able to use those mods, all of the Nentir Vale material, and even the Chaos Scar stuff, with nary a hiccup in FR canon (although if you don't use the Spellplague, you'll have to go with the "it was always there" explanation).

Actually, converting the Moonsea area for all the GH mods sounds like even more fun... Hmmm.... {where my 'chin-stroking' smiley?}

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  04:45:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My wife just walked by and said "Why are you trying to put the adventure together in the Forgotten Realms when you just got that really stunning map in the mail? I'd put it there and we can all explore a new world together!"

The map she is talking about is the Golarion map folio.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  18:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Two that I want to run are "To Find a King" and "The Bane of Llywelyn" but I've yet to find where they might fit and how to mesh them with the area.

Not to argue with Markustay, but I still think the pseudo-Celtic feel of both TFaK and TBoL and the idea of the quest being to restore a dead king back to life makes the modules a natural for the southern Moonshae islands.

Depending on the time frame when you set your campaigns in the Realms, you could even tie the prophecy into the events of the Druidhome Trilogy. Even if you don't like a game/novel tie in, the prophcy mighty refer to a lesser lord or ancient druid leader of the Moonshaes, thus reducing the scope and overall impact on your world.

[quote]Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I like the idea for the "Temple of Elemental Evil" being in the area; but I may instead ONLY run the "Village of Hommlet" instead.[/qoute]

I've ran ToEE and RtToEE in the Realms, and used the Vast (specificaly the Flodded Forest) for the moathouse, placed Nulb as a down-and-out village on the River Dalton. The original Temple of Elemental Evil was located in the Giantspike Mountains, not far from Ironfang Keep (as the Keep placed a significant role in the backstory) and the New Temple of RtToEE in the Galena Mountains.

The great thing about using the Eastern Moonsea is the lack of an overpowering political entity (at least when I set my games - DR 1348 and DR 1368). For a while in Nulb in the second campaign, my pllayers were actually allied to some zhents - worshipers of Bane who had to escape one of Cyric's purges in the Keep. Fighting evil makes for strange bedfellows.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 31 Mar 2011 18:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  18:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If you were going to run the entire set of three uber-modules (a total of nine modules, IIRC), then the Monsea region would be your safest bet. At some point you'd have to pull-in Giants and Drow, and both are available around there.

I'm afraid not Markustay. The order is Temple of Elemental Evil, the Slavelords, and finally Against the Giants and the Underdark marathon that is D1-3 and Q1.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  19:57:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm afraid not Markustay. The order is Temple of Elemental Evil, the Slavelords, and finally Against the Giants and the Underdark marathon that is D1-3 and Q1.

I considered placing the Temple of Elemental Evil in a Dale...and changing history a bit to have the reason Cormyr Annexed Tilverton was to protect it from the Temple forces. Having the Temple somewhere in Sessrendale maybe?

Next, I was going to have the party off to Phlan (Safeton?) where they would start the Slave Lord Series...because using the coast there works for me as a "Wild Coast" feel. Here, Zhentarim backed slavers (not Zhentarim mind you...only affiliated) would be the Slavers.

Finally, the Against the Giants and etc. would fit nicely in the area too as Hill Giants began raiding some village here or there. I was going to insert "Baltron's Beacon" into the Lis area to pull the party from the North Coast of the Moonsea.

After the "Baltron's Beacon" adventure, they would then easily be in place for some Lord of The Vast to recruit them to fight off Hill Giants. A Glacier is very close by and would work nicely, and even the Fire Giants would be possible to put in the mountains there; but with a less active/dormant volcano on the outside...leaving plenty of room for tons of Lava underneath.

Since I know Drow are highly active in the Moonsea area (as in the destruction of Sulasspryn) it wouldn't be a far stretch to pull them deep into the Underdark then!

At least that was my thinking. Now that my wife is all awestruck by the giant map on the wall in our bedroom...

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  20:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Dalor. I hope your players enjoy these classic modules as much as mine have.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  21:57:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You see, I never connected Temple of Elemental Evil with the other three 'super-modules'. I've been running tToEE since the very beginning (1e), but only bought those others when they were re-released in that super-mod format (for 2e, I think, IIRC). Ergo, I start with Slavelords and go from there (Giants, then Drow).

quote:
Not to argue with Markustay, but I still think the pseudo-Celtic feel of both TFaK and TBoL and the idea of the quest being to restore a dead king back to life makes the modules a natural for the southern Moonshae islands.
Actually, you are agreeing with me. I said they'd be better in the Moonshaes - I just needed some towns and stuff to flesh-out the other area I was working on, and it was a nice fit (size-wise). I didn't say I loved them there (and did look for alternatives).

You know, since I will be finishing that map very soon, I might as well take the plunge and create my own barony in that area, with a very 'bare-bones' feel, just for DM's looking for a spot to stick their own HB locale.

quote:

Next, I was going to have the party off to Phlan (Safeton?) where they would start the Slave Lord Series...because using the coast there works for me as a "Wild Coast" feel.
Hulburg might be a better choice then Phlan, considering your needs, and Rich Baker has developed some nice lore for the area (which you could always backwards-port into the 3e era). They dealt with pirates, and even touched upon the situation in Sulasspryn.

Also, since I know you've taken an interest in the fey of this area, you may want to change one of the giant groups to Fomorians, or better yet, add one in (maybe at the end, manipulating all the others?)

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2011 22:02:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000