Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 War !
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  12:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
If you were going to wage war across fair faerun And you were given the command of one of these choices of units which would you choose?

these choices are completely random and please feel free to conquer the realms with whatever you see fit, but please choose one of these if you think it fits your personality.

Choices:

5000 Red Wizards of Thay
5000 Cormyr Purple Dragons
5000 Zhentarim Soldiers
5000 Seladrine Knights
5000 War Priests of Garagos
5000 Valkuran Sailors
5000 Manscorpions
5000 Slaad fighter / assasins
the chosen of mystra
the hand of mask
Karsus by himself before godhood
other known forces or monsters

(Anonymous Vote)

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)

Edited by - Synthalus on 18 Feb 2011 12:47:04

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  13:57:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the Purple Dragon Knights mainly because they're well disciplined and can hold their own in a battle. Not to mention they're decent hoseman. They'd be hard pressed against touch magic from the Shadovar, Zhentarim, and Red Wizard though.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  13:59:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadovar

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  14:35:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5000 Red wizards do stand out for me. It seems much stronger than the rest of the lot. Of course, it is hard to compare 1 single epic character against an army of thousands.

If I had citizens to protect at the same time, an army would be much more effective than a handful of power-players. Even Karsus or Elminster cannot be dozens of places at the same time.

If I had no citizens or cities to protect, and if I sought nothing but destruction, then the chosens would be the way to go. Everyone cast their area evocation spells for the day then teleport to safety until the next morning. Rince-repeat.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  16:13:30  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, tough question. My first incline was to go with the Red Wizards, but after careful thought, I went with the Purple Knights. There are some things that you can't account for in war, and one of them is discipline. I feel that Cormyr could field the most disciplined army on Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  16:57:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5,000 Seldarine knights...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  18:08:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was going to wage war across Faerūn, I'd want more than 5000 troops.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  18:38:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If I was going to wage war across Faerūn, I'd want more than 5000 troops.

LOL

I was considering Drow Cleric/Mage mix.

Though indeed having more then 5,000 clearly would be better.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  20:19:12  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take other, 5000 Halruaans, with their blast globes
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  21:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take a few of those pit fiends that Asmodeus has been bleeding out. 1000 should do it.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  21:34:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take the 5000 slaadi, and make them all death slaadi. None of your other troops have any hope against such a force, and you will ALL bend knee to your new froggy overlords!

MUAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll bump it up to 5000 pit fiends and we'll have the primordial war between law and chaos all over again!

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  21:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol Therise You kill me!

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  21:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  22:44:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take the Empire of Shou Lung if you please. I could do LOTS with the fellas...Tu Lung would fall first, then I'd move across the Steppe and say hello to Semphar, Thay, etc...

Yamun bled the Tuigan dry nearly...now would be the time to make a vassal of them.

Rebuild a TRUE empire here folks!

You guys keep saying 5k...but those are just choices; not the actual limit of what you can ask for!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:02:49  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
red wizards all the way.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  23:57:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose OTHER -- An RCT of BattleMechs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  00:24:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm, who came up with the idea of the RCTs? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Capellan...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  00:25:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

You guys keep saying 5k...but those are just choices; not the actual limit of what you can ask for!

We keep saying 5k because the choices specify 5000 of troop X.

Me, I'll take 2 of each.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  00:39:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Always take out the technicians, support, and supply depots, conventions of war be damned.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  00:46:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm, who came up with the idea of the RCTs? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Capellan...

Yes, I grudgingly respect the Davions for the notion of combined-arms military units.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  01:32:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

We keep saying 5k because the choices specify 5000 of troop X.

Me, I'll take 2 of each.

That is why I took "other" since it implies any other known military force.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  01:34:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

(Always take out the technicians, support, and supply depots, conventions of war be damned.)

I'm with you! We should also take any sort of soldier production centers or soldiers in training...such as the enemy's women and children too!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  13:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what I voted...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  15:02:24  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Guess what I voted...

Manscorpions?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  19:12:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going "other", as I'd take a mixed group of drow and slave battle-fodder. (At night, of course!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  03:09:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still stick by my Shou Lung Empire...I get hundreds of thousands of soldiers AND SPELLJAMMING ships! A whole fleet of them...so I'm even many steps ahead of Halruaa in Air Superiority!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  06:31:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The few hundreds of Shadovar troops slaughtered seven thousand Saerloonians, composed of soldiers and spellcasters, in Shadowstorm. How much more if Shade utilizes all its troops...

If I were to wage war against all the realms in Faerun, even if it's one realm at a time, 5,000 looks too few. I say 25,000 will be the ideal/best number. I would have a mix of the Shadovar, Red Wizards out of Thay, Halruaa survivors, and hundreds of durthans and their lackeys.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  07:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question... by "5,000 Seldarine Knights" do we mean fighter levels only, or a mixture of classes? And I really like the Purple Dragons as well... so it's a bit of a tough call.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sticking with my pit fiends. Asmodeus has been literally bleeding the things for thousands of years now; he has enough.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'm sticking with my pit fiends. Asmodeus has been literally bleeding the things for thousands of years now; he has enough.

Plus the numbers must have spiked now that they stopped constantly fighting the demons I reckon.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000