Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Has Godborn by Paul S Kemp been Released?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blaha
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  19:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Blaha's Homepage Send Blaha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
According to the Forgotten Realms Library it was released in July 2010, see the below link...

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_cyc.html#Godborn

However I have not been able to locate it on Amazon to purchase it.

Please advise.

Thank you

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  19:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been pushed back to 2011 I believe - exact month I forget.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  19:55:13  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard both 2011 and 2012, nothing official yet though as far as i know.
Go to Top of Page

Blaha
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  20:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Blaha's Homepage Send Blaha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you - Usually that site is spot on with the release dates, and if there are any changes they usually update it swiftly.

thank you again
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  20:51:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was orignally cancelled and another book took its place. Thats why it's not out yet. I am glad it's back on. It will be released in 2012 according to Paul's scroll.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  21:31:53  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2012 seems unecessarily long to wait for a book that is, from what I understand, already finished being written.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  22:03:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artificial scarcity?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  23:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to double check but I believe the ad in Hand of the Hunter lists it as 2012. The upside is that it also lists book 2 as 2012 and book 3 as spring 2013 so at least they will come out right on top of each other if that is the actual release schedule.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  00:08:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I've heard both 2011 and 2012, nothing official yet though as far as i know.

I asked Paul in FB what exactly is the final release date. He said 2012, though not sure yet of the month. He also mentioned it in his scroll.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  01:37:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see this book listed as the first part of PSK's Cycle of Night trilogy (Godborn, Godbound, Godslayer) on the Candlekeep home page (in Tethtoril's Bookshelf, in the Miscellaneous collection under "Vaporware") which explains "an agreement could not be reached between the author and WotC, and the trilogy was therefore cancelled".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  01:48:01  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that was right. It was canceled but lateron they came to terms and thus the trilogy is back on. Release dates where pushed back to ridiculous dates ahead though due to this temporary cancelation.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  01:51:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that some of this trilogy needed to be rewritten to comply with other (new) Wizbro canon? Is it possible that parts of the "original" Cycle of Night material were used elsewhere and so need to be rewritten?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  15:21:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul has not mentioned anything like that and it seems the temporary cancelation was merely due to contactual and/or monetary terms rather than content. In any case Paul never mentioned that there has to be done any new work on already written novels. He also posted some excerpts from Godborn on his webpage.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  16:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To follow SC's point: What I know leads me to believe that the novel was already written and ready to go when Paul withdrew from WotC, so it wasn't any need for revision or rewriting. The release date was unfortunately pushed back because Paul's departure led to a good deal of scrambling in scheduling, which operated under the assumption that the book was just off the table. They filled in the gap with a different book.

When he returned, accompanied by much rejoicing, WotC stuck him back in where they had space, which I hope is EARLY 2012, rather than later. AFAIK, that's the nature of release cycles--you need to set them early on, and when they're set they're locked in. It might have come down to the simple fact that all the months were booked up, and they don't have the resources to launch extra novels in an already booked month.

I for one would love to have the book right now, but alas.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  16:20:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I wasn't aware of the details. I was just curious if the project objective had been "altered" or abandoned. I'm happy that it wasn't, since I enjoyed the first trilogy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:06:26  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2012 is simply too far away... especially for a book I have been waiting for eagerly for lots of lots of months already. I mean.. come on.. 2012! ESdB could be president of the US by then!

(...and Foxy might be... his apprentice? Intern?)

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  00:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually don't think Erik will have met the age requirement for US presidency by 2012. Alas, the world must wait for his leadership.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  02:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@skychrome: Oh, you know her, she'd be the one running the show and none of us would know it.

@Rowe: Shh! You want everyone to know?

I was seriously thinking the other day about running for Congress on the "Subsidize Fantasy Novels/Games" platform. Wonder how many votes I'd get?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  17:30:06  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rejoice!
:)
According to ads in "The Hand of the Hunter", all books in Paul's next trilogy will be released very quickly.

Godborn - summer 2012,
Godbound - fall 2011,
Godslayer spring 2013
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  14:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

Rejoice!
According to ads in "The Hand of the Hunter", all books in Paul's next trilogy will be released very quickly.

Godborn - summer 2012,
Godbound - fall 2011,

Godslayer spring 2013

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  14:32:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

Rejoice!

Godborn - summer 2012,
Godbound - fall 2011,

Godslayer spring 2013

I think they're likely a typo on Elsenrail's part -- meaning, instead, that it should've read Godborn:- Summer 2011 and Godbound:- Fall 2012

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2010 14:34:03
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  04:53:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Hand of the Hunter, the first two of the books will be released in 2012.

Godborn Summer 2012, Godbound Fall 2012, Godslayer Spring 2013.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:20:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I checked it too. None of the books will be released on 2011. The first two are scheduled to be released on 2012.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:15:31  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, it was a typo, indeed.
Too much joy to share with you folks resulted in typing too fast. ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000