Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Draconic surge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  21:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Who thinks that there should be time were the dragon population suddenly has a surge.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  01:13:17  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is only natural that any creature have a population surge.I have seen it in real life with the animals in the nearby forest so why not Dragons?I say Yea.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  01:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May I ask how the dragons reproduce?
I never heard a dragon family or a mother dragon feeding the fledgling or a father dragon talking to his son man to man.
I know it is quite silly and childish question but I am curious.

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  07:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons are almost always solitary creatures, so mating would be infrequent. Also, as large (and again, solitary) predators, they would have to range wide for food. Such predators in real life have ranges that are, to us, amazingly wide. For a predator larger than anything in reality outside of the oceans (and even then, the largest of whales actually eats very small animals, no larger than shrimp), that range must be gigantic. As such, simple pressure to find food would drive the hatchlings to try it on their own as soon as they could.

However, that's using the comparative method; if anyone's watched the BBC's Walking With Dinosaurs, that's how they figured out behavior of long-extinct species. My brother, ever the deep thinker, maintains that there is no way you could ever even guess, but some things are so constant in nature of today that one has to assume they were constant then. Same with the habits of dragons, good, evil, or neutral.

I'm sure that there's some information on this someplace, but I don't have it at the moment. I'm also sure there's variation depending on the type (metalic, gem, or chromatic) and actual individual species. But if it actually contradicts what I said, I'll be quite surprised.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  20:29:39  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a year of the Dragons coming up, isn't there? I'd imagine that means several major Dragon attacks in one year's time.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  21:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well folks, I think the dragons have already had that era...

If you check out the Faerun manual or read much into Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves, you'll find that the dragons used to be just about the dominant force on Faerun for YEARS...however, some centuries ago, dragonkind had a Renaissance which ended in a Retreat similar to the elves'.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  11:42:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

There's a year of the Dragons coming up, isn't there? I'd imagine that means several major Dragon attacks in one year's time.

Even in the more recent past - after the age of dragons, and even after age of elves - there are recurring flights of dragons, where dragons of all sorts suddenly band together and attack targets... (see for instance Year of the Dracorage... IIRC)

These 'activities' have as of yet not been fully explained, but could even be some ancient dragon ritual, who knows...

It is likely that there will not be again an age where the dragons rule, but some sort of resurgence is not unlikely - given Tiamat is getting rather popular in certain areas of Faerun amongst other things...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  14:22:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Well folks, I think the dragons have already had that era...

If you check out the Faerun manual or read much into Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves, you'll find that the dragons used to be just about the dominant force on Faerun for YEARS...however, some centuries ago, dragonkind had a Renaissance which ended in a Retreat similar to the elves'.

I dunno about that ArinElenim, with the upcoming Year of Rogue Dragons coming up, I think that that s*** is really gonna hit the fan! Looks to be a Realms-shattering event. Maybe the dragons have been plotting all these centuries and have now got one hell of a plan about to hatch!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  16:17:31  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well things are looking up for the Dragons.Yea!!!

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  20:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mabey but they never make it with out Cyric, they should whorship cyric or die am not sure. They are so arrogant that it makes me a follower of the black sun sick
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  20:49:53  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I would like to se a return of the Creator Race that vied with the Dragons in ages past. To return and bring their ancient war upon the face of Faerun again. Such a glorious time... It would only be equal to ( actually surpassed in my thoughts) by The Baatezu and Tanar'ri officially landing and making Faerun another great and glorious battlefield for their Blood War. Still Dragons should have a rise in population to surivive either of such attacks. Or large enough to call a crusade or Purge of Dragonkind! MWA HA HA HA!
THE RIVERS WILL RUN RED WITH BLOOD AND THE GREAT GATES OF THE ABYSS AND THE NINE HELLS WILL OPEN!!!!*coughs*
excuse me. I have to take a cure insanity spell.. will stave off the Gibbering One's dread whispers for a time.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  20:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wel just as humans are in charge am happy
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  21:07:25  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who said anything about humans? Dwarves and Half-orcs will survive, along with goblins, kobolds and gnolls and perhaps a few other of the other races. But Should humans survive ( they are like cockroaches after all) they will not be at the top... nor the middle but a slave race.. where they belong...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  00:45:23  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Dragons will kill Cyric and make me God.But you would have to change your name to William.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  04:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true, Rad, but the naming of years in Faerun tends to be either cut-and-dry or cleverly misleading...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  09:24:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
It would only be equal to ( actually surpassed in my thoughts) by The Baatezu and Tanar'ri officially landing and making Faerun another great and glorious battlefield for their Blood War.
Perhaps then, you should join my FR campaign. One influential city of the North, Luskan (and it's surrounding hinterlands) has fallen under the dominion of a Tanar'ri Lord. It was the final consequence from a brief incursion of the Blood War in Faerun, just after the Time of Troubles.

Mumadar Ibn Huzal said -
quote:
Even in the more recent past - after the age of dragons, and even after age of elves - there are recurring flights of dragons, where dragons of all sorts suddenly band together and attack targets... (see for instance Year of the Dracorage... IIRC)

The so-called Rage of Dragons. I have talked about this at length before. It is believed by historians and sages Faerun-wide, that this 'ritual' had led to substantial destruction being inflicted upon such ancient kingdoms as Anauria, and Hlondath.

It is a 300-year biological?/ritualistic? cycle that affects all of dragonkind. Now, whether it is truly a cyclic biological or ritual occurence, the fact that the Cult of the Dragon has some ability to be able to generate a 'Rage' is frightening indeed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  00:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
...It is a 300-year biological?/ritualistic? cycle that affects all of dragonkind...
Now, whether it is truly a cyclic biological or ritual occurence, the fact that the Cult of the Dragon has some ability to be able to generate a 'Rage' is frightening indeed.

Indeed.
The Day is approaching soon.

What Day? Why, the Day that Dread Sammaster shall take his rightful place in the Faerűnian pantheon.

Upstarts like Cyric, charming though they be, will wish they could un-wish themselves as deities.

[Momentary switch OOC: this post is in no way intended to aggravate Cyric-fans. Just the characters, ma’m, just the characters.]

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  16:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You better not Cyric is the one true Power and no one mess with him in all his glory
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  19:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glory? What glory are we talking about here? The god is friggin mad..

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2004 :  18:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way he is not mad any more and he could take the elf gods one by one.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2004 :  20:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah so that what you think? Well I will guess that Shadowlord would have some coments in this topic as well, but just as you now it, while Cyric maybe have the strenght to take the elfes one by one, he do not have any chance to think out such a attack? This is becouse Cyric is friggin stupid and INSANE.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  01:00:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may ask one question...What exactly does the subject of Cyric and his stability of mind have to do with the problems of a Draconic Surge in the Realms...?...

My fellow scribes, I implore you to try as hard as possible to stay within the current frame of topic discussed by each and every scroll. If you wish to discuss Cyric and his mind (or lack thereof ), please start a new scroll...

Thank you...

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jan 2004 01:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  12:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If I may ask one question...What exactly does the subject of Cyric and his stability of mind have to do with the problems of a Draconic Surge in the Realms...?...

My fellow scribes, I implore you to try as hard as possible to stay within the current frame of topic discussed by each and every scroll. If you wish to discuss Cyric and his mind (or lack thereof ), please start a new scroll...

Thank you...

Well met

Youre quite right, Sage! Indeed, I will hear no more talk of Cyric other than on a designated scroll....and furthermore, only genuine questions and remarks regarding this....this....chaotic deity!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  12:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That he is but about Draconic surge the rage is coming up and i bet that The fallen chosen is made a god then i hope so and that he kills one of the chosen.
And Cyric is chaotic deity thats true and he is proud of it to
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

That he is but about Draconic surge the rage is coming up and i bet that The fallen chosen is made a god then i hope so and that he kills one of the chosen.
And Cyric is chaotic deity thats true and he is proud of it to

Well met

CYRIC!! No more, say I....else feel my wrath!!

::rolls up the sleeves on his "Mr Nice Guy" robe::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, never have I seen Alaundo with such a temper, not even when I raided his wine cellar, err, that is, I mean, that the other drow males raided his cellar, not me......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  21:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.. thats right.... And I did not have any part of it eiter.
::Screams too Alaundo, as he jumps up and down:" Come on, use the staff of the irritated moderator+5 on him"::

- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 21 Jan 2004 21:50:02
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  17:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But back to the rage that would mean that it has ben a Draconic surge, would it not since they wil son be marching or flying out of there lairs.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  18:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rage is one of the weirder events int he Realms. It happens every so often, and tends to be pretty much a rampage of senseless destruction. It seems every sleepeing worm in the Realms wakes up and goes out to kill stuff, and then, if they survive, they go home and back to sleep. No one can explain why it happens, it just seems to happen, kind of at random. If you read enough Realms history you will get random references to Rages, just sort of poping up. The dragons seem to even partially ignore their inter-racial hatred during the Rages. Its very cool.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  03:00:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...hadn't I already talked about 'the Rage' previously...?

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  23:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to discuss the utter randomness of the whole thing and indicate how it drastically atlers the psycology of the dragons during the Rage, but I guess I was a bit vauge about it. Sorry.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 01 Feb 2004 23:50:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: