Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 a minor quibble with shadowstorm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  23:10:18  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
now ilove paul kemp and i love the twilight war trilogy so far.im nearly at the end of shadowstorm.my only problem is the complethe lack of background as to why saerloon attack selgaunt.we know the whole conspiracy and what not but according to the frcs lady merelith is LG or Ng [cant quite remember].would someone with morals and decency just decide without question to attack a fellow sembian city.i know theres page restraints to realms novels but a bit of background to saerloons decision to attack would have been nice.but like i said its a minor quibble.paul kemp is one of the top 3 realms authors at present.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  01:03:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering that most of Sembia stood on Ordulin's side and that there has been spread major disinformation regarding Selgaunt among the Ordulin coalition, I think it sounds not that unrealistic. In fact Merelith might have acted totally in line with a LG alignment, depending on the information she received.
I just finished Elaine's Thornhold and if you think about what a mess all those LG paladins started...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  05:17:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's simply due to the Ordulin's spread of false but 'convincing' information.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  09:39:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

now ilove paul kemp and i love the twilight war trilogy so far.im nearly at the end of shadowstorm.

You would love Shadowrealm more. I recommend you also read Realms of War, specially the short story Continuum, as it provides significant details (albeit a little) of Rivalen's matricide and Vara's fate. And you can read it before OR after the last book of the TW.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  15:33:03  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ill get round to realms of war eventually.just finishin off the 3e novels then ill buy all the short story books.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  13:23:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recommend all the anthologies, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:28:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I'm curious as to why you'd say that? Because I've often found them each to offer something of interest... even if it might only be one particular tale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:58:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm curious as to why you'd say that? Because I've often found them each to offer something of interest... even if it might only be one particular tale.

I bought all the anthologies, but I only read one or two short stories in each, save Realms of Shadow, which I read from cover to cover (and that's only because I'm partial to all things Netherese). Realms of the Stinky Elves I foolishly bought because I heard there's a Larloch story in it. Only to find out it 'focuses' more on the stinky elves and the ridiculous knights. Despite that RLB is one of my favorite authors, I didn't even bother to read his story in that insectholo- er, anthology. Continuum in Realms of War disappointed me in many ways; primal of which is that it's very unfashionably truncated. I understand the word-count constraint, but I believe PSK could have done better than that, as he did in Too Long In The Dark. When browsing books in a bookstore, I used to tell myself 'Buy it because your favorite author wrote it,' or 'Buy it because your favorite characters are in it.' However, many short stories in the anthologies and various novels (including Elminster Must Die which I've recently finished) proved me wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:50:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, I wouldn't list stinky as one of the failings of those despicable elves. They make fine daemonfey and their mythal magics (at least the shadowy one) are pretty cool. To be honest, the biggest vermin in the Realms are human.

Having said that; I don't mind reading whatever anthologies may offer, good or ill. I don't necessarily like it, but I'll read it. I haven't yet found an FR anthology without at least one story I really liked.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  16:06:56  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have bought and read almost all the anthologies and i've found at least one (and for the most part more than one) of the short stories very decent indeed. I did not enjoy the whole return of shade trilogy, but i found that even Realms of Shadow had some interesting stories
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  17:10:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I have bought and read almost all the anthologies and i've found at least one (and for the most part more than one) of the short stories very decent indeed. I did not enjoy the whole return of shade trilogy, but i found that even Realms of Shadow had some interesting stories

If I'm not mistaken, among all the anthologies (including The Best of the Realms books 1 to 3), Realms of Shadow received the most number of positive reviews from fans and literary authorities alike.

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  18:13:36  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

If I'm not mistaken, among all the anthologies (including The Best of the Realms books 1 to 3), Realms of Shadow received the most number of positive reviews from fans and literary authorities alike.

I wouldnt know, as i have never seen any official numbers of what you described, wherever they may have been recorded. Not that it matters anyway, since i was talking about my own personal preference.

Edited by - Elfinblade on 29 Nov 2010 18:14:42
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  18:45:19  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

im slowly making my way to owning every realms novel ever printed so i have to buy it.up to about 170 so far.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  19:16:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC must be really happy to have you around. As for me, I can't bear to have ALL the FR books because there are those which I doggedly avoid. But that doesn't mean I love the Realms less.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  21:52:23  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WotC must be really happy to have you around. As for me, I can't bear to have ALL the FR books because there are those which I doggedly avoid. But that doesn't mean I love the Realms less.

you seem to be very clued up on matters regarding everything realmsian.seems like a good time to ask whether you think i should bother with the salvatore books for younger readers.like i said i want to eventually own all the books but i really resent having to pay out for kiddie books.are they even canon?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  22:08:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are canon, but beyond that I can't say much with regards to them since I haven't read them.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  23:02:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

you seem to be very clued up on matters regarding everything realmsian.

Not everything, but many things.

quote:

seems like a good time to ask whether you think i should bother with the salvatore books for younger readers.like i said i want to eventually own all the books but i really resent having to pay out for kiddie books.are they even canon?

That all depends on whether or not you're still comfortable reading books that require very little use of brain power for comprehension (as they are intended for readers whose age we've long ago gone past). And yes, they are canon.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Nov 2010 23:03:43
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  01:36:11  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think Continuum is an absolutely brilliant short story. So far I feel that any anthology provides at least one story that makes it worth to purchase.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  02:04:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'concept' is, but not how it was told. That hardly makes me like PSK less, though. He's still one of the best FR authors still around. It's so sad (not to mention frustrating) that we need to wait until 2012 for his next Realms novel.

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Nov 2010 02:08:21
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  03:14:13  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000