Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:16:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Regular visitors to the Candlekeep forums have undoubtedly noticed that the scrolls are often difficult to access, being somehow absorbed within the boundaries of mysterious Sage Time. It is speculated that this havoc is caused by Sage's gremlin constructs escaping their cages. I wish him luck in correcting these problems, as I've noticed many (frustrated?) scribes have simply chosen to avoid CK altogether for a while, and thus the libraries have grown eerily silent.

I've seen numerous snippets of discussion about the recent slowdowns dispersed throughout many scrolls. I suggest that we limit such talk to this scroll; perhaps it may serve as a single place where Sage may read isolated reports, and for him to appraise us of the status of Candlekeep's portals and his valiant attempts to repair the extraplanar server spells. I cannot presume to speak for Sage, but I think this would take much less of his valuable time than scattered individual messages.

We have all read the cryptic "ASP ERROR 0113" message which denies entry to the CK forums. This suggests (to me) that, for a time anyhow, the portals leading into Candlekeep's halls can only admit a few scribes at any given time. A scribe must become inactive or leave before another can enter, and continued hammering at the gates only serves to aggravate the problem for all.

I offer a quick suggestion to my fellow scribes:
When submitting posts, allow your browser scrying device enough time to properly display your submission before attempting to submit again. I know firsthand that it can take many minutes and sometimes lead to errors, but attempting to resubmit many times simply creates redundant duplicates (which then require some cleanup). I recommend protecting all of your writings with the magical clipboard spell (invoke the somatic mouse gestures needed to highlight all of your text, then right-click and Copy; you can later right-click and Paste to rewrite the text effortlessly), this will prevent your submitted lore from being forever lost to the ether.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Nov 2010 08:22:17

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:54:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was thinking of opening something like this myself. [Or resurrecting the older similar scroll on the subject, that we opened a few years back when Candlekeep was again experiencing severe "gremlin-related" breeding problems.]

Anyways, this will help, as either myself or Alaundo can then easily identify any relevant info on new or recurring problems that we can hopefully correct, once we've the time.

The only bit I will add to Arik's declaration, is that we simply use this for new or very unusual problems. Regular error occurrences that we're all largely familiar with aren't really worth the entries, because they're probably already on our "tackle-lists."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  03:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems to me, that it takes longer and longer to post replies for me. Sometimes not posting at all.

Then there was the -2 post thread. That was ....eerie. I have NO idea how that's possible.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  04:10:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

Seems to me, that it takes longer and longer to post replies for me. Sometimes not posting at all.

Then there was the -2 post thread. That was ....eerie. I have NO idea how that's possible.

I recall that it has to do with an error in the forum registry tables which, although acknowledges the post, doesn't add it to the registry itself. So when you're seeing a negative post count for a scroll, it means that the registry has recorded the post, but hasn't actually positively added it to the scroll's post count. So, -2 would mean that although 2 posts were made, the ASP errors occurred while the posts where being made and, thus, didn't fully nor positively register.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  04:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh.

Well, the Grimlens are in force right now against me. Posts taking forever to post, get the error, and though the post is made my post count isn't raised nor is the board made aware that there is a new post etc.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  09:50:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question, cause unknown but probably not a bug at CK, not a bug at my end:

Why does my IE8 popup bar sometimes* claim "The website is trying to launch Windows Media Player" when I'm poking into my Private Messages?
* "Sometimes" meaning only in CK; often but not all the time; happens a lot but is puzzlingly not repeatable; apparently not affected by advanced security/configuration changes (as far as I can tell)

On another note -

Timeouts are pretty awful today. I've gotten several double-posts even when carefully not submitting more than once. Recent posts (mine and others I've noticed) often aren't updated on the forum lists (seemingly same server-update cause as the -1 posts explained above).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Nov 2010 06:59:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:15:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

A question, cause unknown but probably not a bug at CK, not a bug at my end:

Why does my IE8 popup bar sometimes* claim "The website is trying to launch Windows Media Player" when I'm poking into my Private Messages?
* "Sometimes" meaning only in CK; often but not all the time; happens a lot but is puzzlingly not repeatable; apparently not affected by advanced security/configuration changes (as far as I can tell)

On another note -

Timeouts are pretty awful today. I've gotten several double-posts even when carefully not submitting more than once. Recent posts (mine and others I've noticed) often aren't updated on the forum lists (seemingly same server-update cause as the -1 posts explained above).

I'm not sure why they've been so severe today. It's a little strange, actually.

However, I notice it's been running rather smoothly for the past hour or so. Almost like old times.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:20:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow the machine runs more smoothly whenever you're logged on, Sage. I looked up Streamline and saw that their uptime stats have been wavering a little lately (don't know what data the reports use, could be based on CK status or on something else entirely).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Nov 2010 07:20:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  06:50:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I can longer recall how many times I got pestered by the gremlins...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  07:34:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Somehow the machine runs more smoothly whenever you're logged on, Sage. I looked up Streamline and saw that their uptime stats have been wavering a little lately (don't know what data the reports use, could be based on CK status or on something else entirely).

I actually would've thought my presence encouraged the exact opposite. After all, SageOS is a demanding mistress [in terms of using up server/system resources], and the amount of machines I've got hooked up to my main unit, I long suspected, should produce significant drain/lag on the servers.

Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:02:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inexplicable. There are times when my scrolls hang indefinitely, somewhat to my worry when they contain lengthy new text, yet somehow instantly snap into place the moment Sage logs on. I seem to get exiled to Limbo moments after Sage logs off. Dunno what you're doing, just don't stop.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:07:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's try and experiment a little with this, eh?

Like now, for example, I'm logging off shortly [little Narnra has a Doctor's appointment], so I'll be away for an hour or so. Let's see what happens to Candlekeep's performance once I'm gone.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  09:31:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm astonished to report that CK was stable until you left around 8:20, then stayed stable until you returned a few minutes ago, Sage. Apparently my anecdotal observations were not or are not accurate.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  10:17:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It works fine now. I don't think Sage's 'presence' alleviates nor worsens the problem...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  10:49:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been back for the last twenty minutes or so...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:56:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I think the problem has somehow escalated. I had to spend almost 10 mins just trying to post. {sigh}

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:28:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Sage, I think the problem has somehow escalated. I had to spend almost 10 mins just trying to post. {sigh}

Hmmm. Seems to be working fine now.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:36:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:52:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is vastly reduced for me. Twice today I posted a scroll which didn't update on the "Active Topics" list (as opposed to some dozen such occurrences yesterday), but the posts themselves were unaffected and quite punctual.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:57:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you. Other than the script error, viewing and posting at times take forever...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  05:02:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, no doubt the great internet lag pendulum will swing back towards my homeland soon enough.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  05:37:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the problem seems to refuse to vanish...

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  06:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea when candlekeep 2 comes? At least the forums version? I mean, I know a webpage that gives exactly what you'd want, and I'm fairly sure it's very cheap.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  07:31:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any idea when candlekeep 2 comes? At least the forums version? I mean, I know a webpage that gives exactly what you'd want, and I'm fairly sure it's very cheap.

It's not as much about cost, as it is working on the site update itself. Alaundo's rather busy with his real-life job and such, and I can only commit a few hours to it every so often.

As for *when* it will happen... "When will then be now? ...Soon."

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  07:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah. I could make one for you in a day and it be ready with the exception of avatars.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  08:08:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gah. I could make one for you in a day and it be ready with the exception of avatars.

Probably. But you've no idea of what functions and added complexities we'd like to add to the basic format of the existing forum software.

While the current Candlekeep structure definitely has its strengths... it's also truly starting to show it's age as well. And a great deal needs to be improved upon. I'd be weary about any approach that offers to complete it all in "a single day."

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  08:37:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine it would take a goodly time to run reformatting scripts on all the scrolls, so the passages (and their text formatting, and their links) all remain legible after "translation" into a newer style.

I can't wait to see a nice favicon, lol. It's the little things that matter to me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  08:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give me a list. See what I can do.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea. Maybe Dracons input would make Candlekeep 2 a little sooner?

As for the wishes - marking scrolls you have posted in with a little icon...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  09:19:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be better to provide some sample links to your work and let the webmaster decide from there?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  11:04:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Give me a list. See what I can do.

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Good idea. Maybe Dracons input would make Candlekeep 2 a little sooner?
I'll have to discuss this with Alaundo.

For the moment, though, we're happy keeping it between ourselves. I know it can be exhausting waiting for any kind of progress, but do remember that Alaundo's a very busy man. And, ultimately, things can only move forward when he's here. Which is often a rare occurrence. So until that changes, no amount of extra input from other scribes will really make all that much difference.

Having said that, we'll keep you in mind, Dracons, when and if things change.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000