Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:17:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not a Realms product, but Brian R. James and I are co-authors on it (along with Sterling Hershey and Steve Townshend). I'm excited for it and think people who play 4e will find it to be an asset. Baring any post-production changes, it will have a nice booklet full of monsters and includes 4 color maps that we designed, and tokens to use for monster counters. It should be like the old-school boxed sets.

Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale

Edited by - Matt James on 27 Oct 2010 18:18:43

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  21:56:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the maps - very nice - is this supposed to be on the hypothetical 'core world'?

Just wondering - it all looks/sounds familiar - but I was under the impression that there were no plans to ever detail any part of the core lore (in order to keep it generic enough for everyone to be able to use, regardless of setting).

And I'm sure you suspect I am looking for 'ammunition', but I promise you this is just honest curiosity. I plan to start a 4e campaign VERY soon myself, and would like to know a little bit about the direction WotC is heading setting-wise at this point.

Thanks --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  23:14:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Nentir Vale is/was getting a Gazetter in Feb. I guess this is the Monster book for that area.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  23:54:47  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, what maps are you looking at? The Nentir Vale resides in the 'Points of Light' generic setting that accompanied 4e. The Nentir Vale exists as an example of what you might use in your own game-- I'm not sure they're trying to make it a fleshed out campaign world like the Forgotten Realms.

The Nentir Vale came out with 4e, this product never had any ties to the Gazetteer.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  02:29:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  02:31:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this the product announced/previewed at this year's GenCon? Because if so, I'm really looking forward to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  03:11:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nentir Vale is a location that is designed to be placed in pretty much any setting, though WotC has gone to some lengths to put a little creativity in a generic setting. This comes in the form of the fallen Tiefling nation of Bael Turath and the Dragonborn empire of Arkhosia.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  04:27:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Wait, what maps are you looking at?
This One.

All I did was Google the name - I found a ton of sites with that same map.

Isn't that one official? I would assume so since there are so many copies of it floating around. It has the same look as the few 4e FR ones that have accompanied articles.

So this would then be more generic 'use anywhere' material, correct?

Because that is kinda what I am looking for for next campaign - gonna just let the world sorta build itself as I go along (that's REAL Old-School). Running a a game for a 13yr old and a 9yr old - I don't need to put a whole lot of deep-thinking into it. LOL

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:59:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the map in the 4E DMG.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  17:59:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, Mark. I misunderstood you and thought that the maps we worked on for the project were out (or something). Diffan is correct as well as far as the little bit of lore that has been created for it.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  18:25:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay.

I had bought the 4e PH and my oldest son bought the MM, but neither of us ever purchased the 4e DMG (which is why I didn't recognize the map itself, but the names sound familiar).

I gave the PH to my son soon after I bought it, because he was planning on running it for his friends (which never got off the ground). Now that he has his own Apt. and a live-in GF, I doubt he will ever have time again.

I should get those from him....

Then again, I figure I should just start with a fresh slate and Essentials.

Thanks for the info Matt (and others).

P.S. - Would anyone be interested in a shoe-horning of that map into FR?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  18:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
P.S. - Would anyone be interested in a shoe-horning of that map into FR?

Markus, you need not ask.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  19:44:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoehorn away Markus!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  03:33:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to not put it where I was going to put it (having The Cloak Woods line-up to FR's Cloakwood), and instead found that the place where I felt Fallcrest would fit is still the perfect spot (if anybody remembers that quikie-adaption I did when 4e came out - I only placed Fallcrest and Hammerfast on the official map).

This one is a bit more involved, actually adapting the entire Nentir Vale region onto the Realms map, without having to make any compromises on either. Once I saw how tiny an area Nentir Vale was compared to Faerūn, I realized I could get it all in (and yeah, I matched the scales so that maps from both settings will still be accurate).

I have to nudge a couple of things out of the way a little bit, but so far its looking good - so good, in fact, that I would definitely use this in-place of the official FR version. The location is ideally suited to a 'start area', and considering the effects of the Spellplague, the changes are minimal compared to what I could have gotten away with. Basically, this could just be a rather 'normal' area of Abeir that got swapped.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2010 03:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  16:07:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm digging it! I can't wait to see the final map, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  22:26:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still working on this - I don't want anyone to think I forgot about it - its actually my top-priority ATM.

I decided to rebuild nearly all of my old terrain patterns; after I started drawing-over the terrain on the delightful nentir vale map, I decided its time to retire the 3e terrains. As much as I loved them, they have seen better days, and you can do a lot more with better-defined terrain patterns.

Thats the same artists that did the other 4eFr maps, right? The ones from the DDi articles? His work is amazing - I will have to credit it for the terrain patterns I am lifting from his maps.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2010 22:46:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  21:53:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run into a bit of a problem, it seems.

The map I am building-on was done by Mike Shley, wasn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  22:09:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've run into a bit of a problem, it seems.

The map I am building-on was done by Mike Shley, wasn't it?

Yep...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 27 Nov 2010 22:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  23:17:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, he doesn't take kindly to folks doing derivative work (and the whole center of the map is his).

Which makes me wonder why no-one 'in-the-loop' pointed this out to me before I was 95% finished.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  00:21:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: When it is finished, the map will be posted over at WotC, and I will provide links to the thread here and at the CartographersGuild.

You know how they say everything happens for a reason? (and the older I get, the more I truly believe that)

When this site was down the other day I was going through withdrawal for my 'FR fix' and went over to WotC, where I haven't been in quite some time. This happened, BTW, when I reached a legal dilemma with my latest map (the Nentir Vale conversion, which is coming out phenomenal, if I do say so myself).

It appears that you can now upload pics directly to their site, via your account, which is PRECISELY what I need to do to avoid legal hassles (after-all, anything that appears on their site becomes THEIR property). Ergo I will not be using my usual DeviantART page or the occasional Photobucket post (which I was using for 'quick snapshots').

I was awaiting for some answers on dwarvish from Ed, but I think I have enough to move forward. I wanted to post a WIP just before Thanksgiving, but I have decided I am better-off posting a finished product (from a legitimacy stand-point - I stand a much better chance of being able to continue in this manner if I show something that is worthwhile to WotC).

In the interim, I accidentally discovered yet-another 'core' project over at the WotC which can also be adapted for this same project (it is actually a bizarre series of events that allowed me to find it - I accidentally gave a new town I created the SAME EXACT NAME as a town being used for another D&D project!)

The strangest part of that - that project centers around the Chaos Scar, and the town I named the same as that other guy... it is just to the west of The Deep Maw.. precisely where it needed to be, if the Deep Maw = the Chaos Scar!

And now I must ask myself, since I only found all of that by choosing a random name for that town I needed (a road went that way on the NV map), did I really choose that name... or did it choose me?

So by linking my project to theirs (I already joined the group), and posting all of WotC's IP over on their own site (thus avoiding legal issues), I find I can finally continue with this. It would have been a damn shame to have to have just thrown-away all the work I did, which is what I feared, and now it seems i won't have to.

THANK YOU, CK Gremlins.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2010 00:24:30
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  13:54:02  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaos Scar was done by a meteor, possibly like the one that fell in Vaasa, of the same shower.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2010 :  12:04:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I read over the review of the Monster Vault on EnWorld and they gave it a supportive A- !! After reading what the pros/cons were, I'm DEFINITLY going to have to get this supplement.

One thing of note, they have lots (and I mean LOTS) of monster tokens for your game. Not only that, but the tokens are flip-sided with a red ring around one side to show the "Bloodied" state of the creature. That's just damn brilliant!!

I'm soo looking forward to getting this for X-mas lol.

Just thought I'd share my enthusiasm!!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2010 :  13:23:29  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale will have a bunch of punch-out tokens as well as four highly detailed maps-- in addition to the big book of monsters. I'm pretty excited for it!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  17:20:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously I never finished the conversion, which is a damn shame - it was 95+% done (and looked just like Mike Shley's original). Now its gone {sigh}...

Anyhow, I went looking for any old Nentir Vale thread and found this one, so I will post this here - did a Gazeteer for that region ever come out? If not, where can I find out the most info about it? (Barring searching through each and every article and adventure).

The new conversion I am working on (NOT using Mr.Shley's textures) I like even better - seems Nentir Vale fits perfectly below the High Forest. Instead of tweaking existing (FR) terrain to get it to work, I just have to add some details in (and thats additive design - nothing says that terrain couldn't have been there all along). The Winterbole Forest becomes the southern edge of the High Forest (just assume its a local name for that part of the greater forest). I'm really loving the way the rivers worked out.

Nentir Vale becomes the site of the former kingdom of Athalantar... I like that a lot; it seems fitting somehow.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  00:25:00  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It did not. That project was scrapped. No idea why.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  00:52:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a shame - Nentir Vale was one of the very few good things (as in, accepted by folks on both sides of the edition debacle) to come out of 4e.

And it fits so nice and snug in that spot between the forest and the High Moor. Ah, well... I was able to glean quite a few things from Monster Vault - great job on that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000