Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Hereldar Shatteredstone (4E Character)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arianthus Deszault
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  23:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Arianthus Deszault's Homepage Send Arianthus Deszault a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been DM'ing a game for a few months now and this has given me time to work on a character concept for when I get to play.

I decided on making a dwarf, but not just any ole dwarf (or this would be a really boring thread, no?)! Hereldar is a cripple from birth. His legs did not develop as the rest of his body did. As you can imagine, this kept Hereldar from doing most dwarfy stuff. He couldn't work a forge well, despite the others best efforts to create all sorts of harnesses for him. He wasn't very good at hewing down beardless ones with an axe either. This isn't to say his upper body strength was non-existant though. He refused to ride on gnomish "wheel-chairs" and insisted on learning to walk on his hands, or if that failed, to drag himself.

He did finally discover something his crippled body could do though. He witnessed the power of runes and instantly became fascinated with them. He learned all he could of them over the years, and became a novitiate Runepriest. He realized then that he wanted to see the world, to find other runes, runes lost to the ages.

His crippled state prevented him from doing this however and he drowned his sorrow in dwarven holy water. One time in the pub, he found himself sharing a table with a gnome. The gnome, quite inebriated, claimed he was one of the greatest gnomish wizards around. His power at golem-crafting was unmatched. Hereldar was intrigued by the wizard and commisioned the gnome to build him a golem of the mightiest stone he could find.

The wizard agreed and after many months of preperation, each day of which Hereldar harassed the gnome, the stone had been shaped into the body of what would become Hereldar's legs. It looked like a large dwarf, standing near eight feet tall, looming over Hereldar like a giant. On its back was a stone basket which Hereldar could sit in and look out from. The wizard created a ring that allowed the control of the golem, which he presented to Hereldar.

Hereldar, much to his delight, discovered that this golem was not an ordinary golem. The golem was not perfect though, as the added control of it had reduced it's innate toughness. The gnome had created it with the capability to equip armors and weapons to counter this, and had gifted it with abilities similar to those employed by fighting men.

With his new gift, Hereldar bid the gnome farewell and left his home, ready to see the world on his own.

This is my first character (with a backstory), so any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

Note: the character (mechanically) is just a dwarf hybrid fighter(roleplayed as the golem)/runepriest(roleplayed as the dwarf).

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  17:22:26  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting concept...
Go to Top of Page

Arianthus Deszault
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  00:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Arianthus Deszault's Homepage Send Arianthus Deszault a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I think :D

I am having one problem, and that's figuring out how he rides on the golem. I was thinking of a small basket on the golems back. I just find it more funny than anything picturing it. Riding on his shoulder might work, while the golem holds him with his left arm. Since it is D&D, I know it doesn't have to make sense, but I want it to be somewhat believable.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  04:08:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arianthus Deszault

I am having one problem, and that's figuring out how he rides on the golem. I was thinking of a small basket on the golems back. I just find it more funny than anything picturing it. Riding on his shoulder might work, while the golem holds him with his left arm. Since it is D&D, I know it doesn't have to make sense, but I want it to be somewhat believable.

I love the concept (too bad you didn't make him an Artificer and he could be come a "self-forged") but I say don't make it too complicated. Make the Golem like a Mech and treat it like a special mount. I would give the mount stats (that can be boosted with armor, enchantments, etc...) And the mount can pretty much perform any attack, utility, etc... that the rider can.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  16:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  01:38:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Arianthus Deszault

I love the concept (too bad you didn't make him an Artificer and he could be come a "self-forged") but I say don't make it too complicated. Make the Golem like a Mech and treat it like a special mount. I would give the mount stats (that can be boosted with armor, enchantments, etc...) And the mount can pretty much perform any attack, utility, etc... that the rider can.

It's a mutant Mad Cat!

Go one step further, and have the driver be curled up in a fetal position in the golem's hollow torso...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  04:02:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's a mutant Mad Cat!

Go one step further, and have the driver be curled up in a fetal position in the golem's hollow torso...

I love the Mad Cat!! Great mech there.

And as for the golem's torso seat.....is that at TMNT reference to Krang, lol?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  05:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's a mutant Mad Cat!

I love the Mad Cat!! Great mech there.

And as for the golem's torso seat.....is that at TMNT reference to Krang, lol?

Krang? I'd forgotten about him. I wasn't a fan of the Archie version of the Turtles.

I was thinking more of Protomechs, and to a lesser extent, Space Marine Dreadnoughts. I know Proto drivers are in a fetal position (I just checked TRO 3060), and I've always assumed the same for those interred in the Dreadnoughts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000