Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Essentials
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  01:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to build a collection of 2e FR stuff, as I'm finding 3e books to be extremely lacking. Excepting Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any other 2e supplements.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  03:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards' website has a section for 2e downloads, mostly as PDFs. Wonderful gems, they are. Especially if you're actually playing second edition. If you're not, you might find some of the stats in there confusing to someone used to 3e. Of course, the first book I picked up was Volo's Guide to the North (which is there as a download), and I didn't even consider playing the game. I just liked the books and the world, so that was an interesting read. I just skipped over all game details until coming here to Candlekeep, where you guys got me all interested in the nittygritties. (Thanks, y'all! )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  07:46:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The RPG Products listing in Tethtoril Bookshelf (located right here in Candlekeep) has a complete listing of all 2e FR gaming products to direct you to the right accessory.

As for essential 2e FR material, for myself...Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves was an 'essential' accessory, you can never have too much elven lore . The campaign expansions detailing regional areas of Faerun - like Menzoberranzan, Spellbound, Ruins of Zhentil Keep and all the other - are also material and sets that I would think of as essential.

Bookwyrm mentioned Volo's Guide to the North, which is another 'essential' FR tome, as are all the other Volo's Guides, except maybe Volo's Guide to Waterdeep since most of that material was pretty much already detailed in the accessory Waterdeep and the North, and the City of Splendors boxed set.

Besides these tomes, the Hero's Lorebook, and companion Villain's Lorebook, are another two sourcebooks that are handy to have around, especially for background NPC information.

The only other tome that I can really say was an 'essential', at least for me, was Secrets of the Magister. But that could have also been because Elminster: the Making of a Mage set me on the path of trying to find all that had been published about the Magister.

I hope that helps.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  11:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. I'm used to 3e, but I've actually played games of the first two editions, so it's somewhat confusing, but still very readable.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  21:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine anyone finding the 3rd ed. Forgotten Realms manual as lacking...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not lacking. I just simply want more information on most everything. I've got all the 3e supplements, but I still want more...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  03:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I thought it was lacking. A lot of information I wanted wasn't in there. I don't blame her for going for the 2es . . . except for the most recent events and some changes, it's all there and cheaper. (Especially if you're getting the free downloads.)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  04:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would personally recommend Cloak & Dagger, the one stop source for the more important organizations on Faerun. Unlike the 3e Lords of Darkness, it details more than just evil groups. Lords of Darkness is still useful of course, but for fluff there is no beating Cloak & Dagger for me. Also, the deity trio, Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities, and Powers and Pantheons, are all very useful. As would be expected from three books, it covers more information than Faiths and Pantheons, and you might find there are quite a few obscure divine characters you will not find anywhere else.

Also, if you ever wanted to know anything about Elves, Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves and The Fall of Myth Drannor are top notch (Elves of Evermeet is also pretty good, but it may have caused more controversy than anythign else), so big plusses there. I also kind of appreciated Netheril - Empire of Magic, but you will find the popular opinion seems to rank it kind of low on the product spectrum. As far as regional supplements, I loved Lands of Intrigue, which details Tethyr and Amn, the two kingdoms south of Waterdeep. Really, if you ask me most 2e products were of fairly good quality, especially compared to many of the 3e products.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 25 Sep 2003 04:42:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  07:43:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
I also kind of appreciated Netheril - Empire of Magic, but you will find the popular opinion seems to rank it kind of low on the product spectrum.
I never did. My opinion of Netheril was always pretty high. In fact Netheril has always been one of my more favorite FR accessories. It always disappointed me somewhat that WotC never expanded upon the "Arcane Age" material...it had a lot of potential.

Anyway to add to the list of 'essentials', for all things Giant, IMO few tomes treat the subject as well as Giantcraft.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Sep 2003 07:43:59
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard from a WotC employee that the Netheril accessories didnt sell very well at all... in fact they contributed to the decision to cease production of boxed sets (boo hoo ).

I cant understand such low sales figures, the material wouldnt fit into an existing campaign set in the current timeline and thus would not interest a lot of DM's. However for us hardcore FR fans who will buy anything with an FR logo on, its a different matter

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  05:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never looked at any of it. Never read that single, solitary trilogy, either. Mostly because my brother (the one I learned about the Realms from) was so vocal in his disgust. I don't actually even know if he ever read it, but I wasn't inclined to disbelieve him.

Well, I've kind of changed my mind since coming here, and I've put those books on my 'possibilities' list. There are usually other things I want to spend my money on, but I'll probably get at least the first book sometime.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  21:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep has very little overlap with FR1 and City of Splendors -- they complement each other very well.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  16:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads

Go here.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  00:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be a while depending on where you go but, there is always GenCon. They have the biggest collection of old D&D things that I've ever seen.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  19:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those looking for hard to find or out of print stuff (of anything, not ust D&D) try this place... Nobleknight Games.
If they don't have it, check back in a few weeks, and they probably will.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  02:55:24  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

For those looking for hard to find or out of print stuff (of anything, not ust D&D) try this place... Nobleknight Games.
If they don't have it, check back in a few weeks, and they probably will.

Hey great link. You need get away from those Dwarves, no matter the amount of gems they are paying you and get back in here.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See if you have an Oxford Comics where you live. Comic Box is another good store.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000