Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Rucien-Xan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  22:44:35  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there is any information on the hidden elven realm called Rucien-Xan, other than that it's hidden and lies somewhere in Chondalwood. There's an entry for Rucien-Xan in "The Shining South" sourcebook, where for some reason it's called "Ruthien-Than". But that entry only states that it's just a legend which dates back from the time of the Jhaamdath and Nikerymath empires and that the city might not even exist at all.

The Forgotten Realms wiki mentions that a Moonstar agent (Nuvian Eyes-Ashen) was able to infiltrate Rucien-Xan, but I strongly suspect that's nonsense, since I couldn't find a source for it.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

Edited by - mensch on 24 Jun 2010 22:45:35

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  17:52:43  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the place back in 3e days, Nuvian Eyes-Ashen is briefly mentioned in Cloak and Dagger, you need the npc stats?

You can find some info in Empires of the Shining Sea where the fall of Jhaamdath and Nikerymath is described

Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  15:29:29  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I used the place back in 3e days, Nuvian Eyes-Ashen is briefly mentioned in Cloak and Dagger, you need the npc stats?
We're playing 3.5, so NPC stats would be very welcome!

quote:
You can find some info in Empires of the Shining Sea where the fall of Jhaamdath and Nikerymath is described
I'll see if I can dig up a copy of that book. Sounds interesting.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  22:03:06  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stats: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19846694/Realms_NPC_Characters_II&post_num=417#337799938

that thread survived , posted them years ago
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  23:31:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Stats: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19846694/Realms_NPC_Characters_II&post_num=417#337799938

that thread survived , posted them years ago

Actually, the links in my sig will take you to the specific characters.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  11:31:50  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks! If Nuvian Eyes-Ashen is an agent of the Moonstars in that city, I assume he doesn't share the contempt for anything other than elves. A sentiment common among the wild elves of the Chondalwood, and elves in general, more or less.

Does anybody know why "The Shining South" (3e) lists "Ruxien-Xan" as "Ruthien-Than"?

I had a quick look at "Empires of the Shining Sea" and it mentions "Ruxien-Xan" on page 14 and 19 as a tree city deep in the woods and the capitol of Nikerymath. It was spared during the Jhaamdath expansion in -276 DR. On page 19 the coronal and four High Mages are mentioned. The latter are instrumental in the revenge on Jhaamdath in -255 DR when they flooded the Twelve Cities of Jhaamdath in a gigantic tidal wave.
On page 40 Rucien-Xan is mentioned as being founded in around -6500 DR when a group of elves, mainly from Syòrpiir, established Nikerymath in the Chondalwood. The hidden city is mentioned in passing on page 136.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  14:12:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Ashe.

About Rucien-Xan, I guess it was changed cause it sounded Chinese rather than elven.
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  23:43:47  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! While on holiday I worked on an adventure for our ongoing campaign which is set in Chondalwood and Rucien-Xan. The history of Nikerymath and Jhaamdath also plays a major role, although the campaign itself is set in 1373 DR. Now I just have to find a way to incorporate Nuvian Eyes-Ashen. :D

Edited by - mensch on 15 Aug 2010 23:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  19:46:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, that is a fun land, almost no lore and so many possiblilities. Years ago I had arrogant Melnibonean-like sun elves conquer Chondath.
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:40:21  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Er, I actually phrased my previous post incorrectly. What I should have said is that the adventure itself is set in Chondalwood and Rucien-Xan - it has become a very large adventure though, due to me having too much time during the holidays. But my campaign is mainly set in Thesk, which got some 3th edition love in the Unapproachable East. The whole Turmish and Chondath area seems a bit neglected, apart from the Jhaamdath lore in "Lost Empires of Faerûn". Or is there more in 1st and 2nd edition sourcebooks?

Chondath had a very troubled past, as did Thesk, but now seems relatively calm and is, as you say, the perfect area to perform all kinds of large scale, uncanon nastiness in.

Edited by - mensch on 16 Aug 2010 21:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:03:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Chondath, of the top of my head, there is an online article by Ed called ''An Overview of Chondath'', for Turmish there are the Polyhedron articles (95-10?).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000